powermatic 80 nylon components and shorter service interval? - Page 2
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: powermatic 80 nylon components and shorter service interval?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: powermatic 80 nylon components and shorter service interval?

The long PR is likely implemented thanks to lower tension needed from the mainspring through the train. The only way to do that (besides lowering the frequency which they've also done) is to reduce the force needed to flip the escapement, and the easiest way to do that is to make things lighter. Unfortunately lighter usually means weaker... replacing metal parts and jewels with synthetic materials that require less force to move but are more susceptible to damage over time.

I'd rather have an old fashioned ETA that beats at 4Hz, uses a real jeweled escapement, I can regulate myself, and pretty much any watchmaker can work on forever. But that's just me.[/QUOTE]

This lines up with the opinion of said watchmaker. I agree, there are things about the movement that don't appeal to me. I'd prefer a workhorse movement that could easily be serviced by many

Also decided to go for a watch with a P-80 despite reservations about the movement because the rest of the watch was very attractive, figuring I might be able swap it out for a 2824 at some point.
    Today would be a good day to delete your Facebook account, Here is why:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f73/fa...l#post48047643

10 reasons to dump facebook:

https://www.komando.com/tips/527072/...cebook-in-2019

Quote Originally Posted by yankeexpress View Post
    Also decided to go for a watch with a P-80 despite reservations about the movement because the rest of the watch was very attractive, figuring I might be able swap it out for a 2824 at some point.
    p-80 has a lot of things going for it, i've heard its very accurate with the free sprung balance, and it would be more resistant to shocks if it has the new silicon hairspring. All depends on what you value, for me, robustness and long term ease of serviceability are rather important

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The “Powermatic” movement covers a lot of territory. That is, there are a number of C07.XXX movements with slight variations. Typically, the CO7.111 has a synthetic palette fork and escape wheel. This is why it has 23J versus 25: the two missing jewels are from the palette fork. However, the new Silicium Powermatic movements use a metal palette fork with ruby palette jewels, thus have 25J total.

Overall, the increase in power reserve comes primarily from a reduction in frequency from 4hz to 3hz, and a more powerful mainspring. I’m not certain it has to do with thinner parts. The use of a synthetic escapement has more to do with the self-lubricating properties of synthetic materials. There are versions of the Powermatic family that have fully decorated bridges, blued screws and Chronometer certifications. Of course, it’s possible Tissot might swap the movement during service, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s disposable.

Tudor does the same thing, as do many companies with respect to the chronograph module added to the 2892 movement. However, these components are not thrown away, but rather serviced and used for future swap-outs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information