Should I send it back for Warranty Repair/Service?

Thread: Should I send it back for Warranty Repair/Service?

Should I send it back for Warranty Repair/Service?

Hey everyone. I'm kinda new but old to the forum. Lurked around a lot but didn't post much. I've got a question about my Tissot Luxury Powermatic 80 Chronometer. (same watch as at the one currently at the top of the page)

I got this watch for Christmas from my wife who ordered it from Jomashop, which as we all know is a gray market dealer who has their own warranty - I don't have a warranty with Tissot. Initially, it kept outstanding time - literally within 1-3 seconds per day, plus or minus - I could keep it regulated by deciding which way to rest it when it was off my wrist overnight. Then all of a sudden it started running fast, and it was gaining about 15-20 seconds every 12 hours. This is a certified chronometer so it's supposed to be within -4/+6 seconds per day.

Initially I called Jomashop and they recommended that I allow it to completely wind down and start it back up. That helped, but I'm still gaining 15 seconds/day. My first automatic, a Swiss movement (Sellita SW200) Invicta Pro Diver gained about 15 seconds per day initially, and I just dealt with it as a quirk of that watch. (almost 9 years old, and still going strong - I'm currently wearing it!) However, that watch was not a certified chronometer, so I had no expectation that it should be super accurate.

So should I send it back and see if they can get it regulated back down to within Chronometer specs, or should I just deal with it gaining 10-15 seconds/day and leave well enough alone provided that it doesn't get any worse?

Re: Should I send it back for Warranty Repair/Service?

I have very bad experiences dealing with Jomashop's warranty service, and I would not send anything for them to repair. I also heard that the new Powermatic movement is very hard to regulate once it is out of the factory. If I were you, I would contact Tissot and ask them how much it would cost to service the watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pneuma View Post
    I have very bad experiences dealing with Jomashop's warranty service, and I would not send anything for them to repair. I also heard that the new Powermatic movement is very hard to regulate once it is out of the factory. If I were you, I would contact Tissot and ask them how much it would cost to service the watch.
    Knowing what I know now, I might have steered my wife away from Jomashop and gone to an authorized dealer. With that said, there's a real mixed bag of reviews about Jomashop warranty service - it seems to be about 50/50 for people having good or bad service from them. When I called, the gal on the phone was as nice and helpful as she could be, and based on that, I would be ok with sending the watch back to them.

In the meantime, I'll see what Tissot would charge, and what their turnaround time would be. They might take it back in and service it as a warranty service, simply because they don't want to have it out in the air that a product of theirs failed to stay within spec in such a short amount of time - less than 2 months of regular wear.

There are companies who do that - I picked up a Sig Sauer pistol used in a private sale transaction, and had an failure to eject issue with it, and Sig handled it as a warranty service even though I wasn't the original owner of the pistol.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hello trickg. Sorry to hear about your problem with the Tissot. I agree with Pneuma: I would skip Joma's store warranty - too many horror stories. If you send it back to Tissot, the service cost should be $180, according to their website. If I remember correctly, Joma sold these watches for around $300, so, even with the service, the total cost would be under $500. That's not a bad deal, considering that the serviced watch would then have a 2 year warranty just like brand new. But before you do anything, I would check that the watch isn't magnetized. That could explain why it's running fast.

You are between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand you want the watch to behave as it should but at the same time I’ve read some real horror stories about their service department. I’ve no personal experience with them but so many people seem to have had a rough time with them that there is no way the chimps who man their service department would get their paws on a watch of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by sticky View Post
    I’ve no personal experience with them but so many people seem to have had a rough time with them that there is no way the chimps who man their service department would get their paws on a watch of mine.
    Regardless of hearsay and as you have no direct personal experience isn't it unnecessarily unkind to liken all the people who work at the Jomashop service department to 'chimps'?

I would go with Swatch. I doubt the service charge would be any more than $180–they may even do it for the partial service fee. It’s about three weeks or so and worth getting right. The warranty on their work is good piece of mind.

Hello,

Quote Originally Posted by trickg View Post
    So should I send it back and see if they can get it regulated back down to within Chronometer specs, or should I just deal with it gaining 10-15 seconds/day and leave well enough alone provided that it doesn't get any worse?
    Try to ask a watchmaker if he can demagnetize it. If it was magnetized, then check the rate.
    If it wasn't, then live with that, or send it back to Tissot for a full service. They will not regulate it, they will exchange the movement.

(...)I also heard that the new Powermatic movement is very hard to regulate once it is out of the factory. (...)
    Could you be more specific please ?

Once you know how it works, there's nothing hard to regulate on this movement.

Quote Originally Posted by Deli View Post
    Could you be more specific please ?

Once you know how it works, there's nothing hard to regulate on this movement.
    Here are two posts about this movement:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/com...ment_question/
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/reg...a-1610138.html

Based on what it was said, the new Powermatic movement does not have a regulator bar or screw. To regulate the movement, you have to adjust two screws on the balance wheel. It seems quite complicated and easy to mess up.

Here are two posts about this movement:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Watches/com...ment_question/
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f6/reg...a-1610138.html

Based on what it was said, the new Powermatic movement does not have a regulator bar or screw. To regulate the movement, you have to adjust two screws on the balance wheel. It seems quite complicated and easy to mess up.
    Internet forums, people know everything and ... nothing :)

Based on my experience at the bench, there's nothing complicated, really. Technically, there's nothing new in this system, Tissot just named it its own way.

You may "regulate" a movement in adjusting the effective length of the hairspring.
    Or by adding opposite masses towards or outwards the balance. This latter way is much more effective and easy in fact.
    Think of those iceskating people, turning around themselves, adjusting their speed with the arms outside or inside. Same principle of inertia.

Any watchmaker with a light touch may be able to do it on a powermatic.
    To be perfect, he needs some "cushion" tool (0.8 mm height, handmade) to support the balance, right under the eccentric mass he's turning.

In 5 mn tops, your powermatic is cosc.

Thread Information