Gerlach - Overwhelmed, Incompetent or Something Worse? - Page 3
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Gerlach - Overwhelmed, Incompetent or Something Worse?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Buyer Beware Gerlach

So are these Gerlach warnings from this poster going to be like a quarterly thing now? This is now like the 4th or 5th complaint thread since December on the same issue with nothing new added.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

Let the man advocate.

Quote Originally Posted by Trojanbybirth View Post
    Let the man advocate.
    Any reason why? This is, in fact, about the 6th thread the OP has started here on the same issue. How many times can you beat a dead horse before you realize it's not going to get up and trot off?

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Any reason why? This is, in fact, about the 6th thread the OP has started here on the same issue. How many times can you beat a dead horse before you realize it's not going to get up and trot off?
    I think the horse is being beaten out of frustration and anger. I do not think he expects any trotting.
    Nokie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by nello View Post
    I think the horse is being beaten out of frustration and anger. I do not think he expects any trotting.
    Gee, thanks, that was helpful--my point, more simply put, is how many times can you repeat the same frustration before you realize that nothing is going to change?

Quote Originally Posted by timefleas View Post
    Gee, thanks, that was helpful--my point, more simply put, is how many times can you repeat the same frustration before you realize that nothing is going to change?
    Just put the guy on ignore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zeroedout View Post
    What did they say when you picked up the phone and called?

Edit: just to clarify, I’m curious if you’ve discussed all these issues at length with them over the phone? I mean, so many things can go wrong when trying to resolve disputes via email...I might send one, but if that doesn’t square things away my next move is to pick up the phone. Seven emails over seven months with no response sounds to me like you’re punishing yourself. There’s absolutely no reason to think the second or third was gonna generate a different outcome.....let alone the seventh. Call them. If they don’t answer, use a different email address/name and ask them to call you to discuss a large order you’re considering placing. Ask for wiring instructions, or the marketing department or sales...just change the approach until you’re able to get through to someone. And if all of that continues to fail....cut bait and pack it up. It sucks, sure...but you’re gonna end up driving yourself crazy. There comes a time when you just gotta sever ties and move on. I think that time is upon you.
    ^This

Name:  bucket.jpeg
Views: 62
Size:  15.8 KB
    X2-Elijah likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

The OP posted in the Watch Deals & Feedback Forum a few months ago, and I added my experience to that thread.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f63/be...e-4870499.html

I'm sorry to hear his problems with them continue. My experience was similar but has a happy ending ...
    I ordered a "Lux-Sport" model from them on March 2nd, rec'd an automated confirmation, and a payment notification from PayPal. I created an account with them, but my order didn't show up on it.
    By March 13th, I realized I hadn't received a shipping notice.
    Between March 13th and April 2nd, I sent three emails, including one written in Polish, very politely asking for a shipping update.
    No reply.
    On April 5th, more than a month after ordering, I sent a 4th super cordial email indicating that I would ask PayPal for a refund within 48 hours, under the assumption that they are obviously no longer in business. That got their attention (or his attention? I think it's a one-man band), and I rec'd an email a few hours later saying that my watch had shipped, and I'd get a tracking update soon.
    I didn't hear anything else for 10 more days. Certainly did not receive a shipping update.
    I went into zen mode. I was too busy at work, tax day was looming, had my kids' sports events. I had PP buyer protection, so I felt there was no point in freaking out.
    On tax day itself, April 15, a box from Poland (via Polish Post) arrived! Yahoo!
    It was worth the wait.
    It's a quirky watch that certainly isn't to everyone's taste, but for the price, it is beautifully made and has excellent specs (sapphire w/AR, 100M wr, hacks/handwinds, signed deployant, etc). It was nicely packaged w/a springbar tool and a polishing cloth and an elegantly printed warranty certificate.
    So I guess that's the trade-off. G. Gerlach makes nice watches at great prices, but -- based on my experience, and the clearly the OP's experience -- don't expect a normal customer service experience, or fast shipping. Just have faith that you'll get your watch, and if faith fails, use PayPal to get a refund.
    I understand the OP's frustration b/c he was buying gifts and dealing with a repair. It's not as simple as a PP refund, although he should certainly involve them.

Would I order another watch from G. Gerlach after this experience? Well, why not? For what they offer at their price point, I can live without excellent customer service ... or any customer service at all. All I need is a good watch, and I got a good watch. It's quirky and odd but beautiful and one-of-a-kind, and I wanted something that said "Made in Poland" on it, and there aren't many choices for that.

Would I recommend to WUS members ordering a watch from them? Probably not very enthusiastically, but I wouldn't boycott them either. They make cool watches for the money. I mean, the OP is justifiably frustrated, but now that he has repeatedly shared his experience with potential WUS buyers, everyone is aware of slow customer service, and it's really up to the individual on how much of a hassle it's worth. And even though I'm selling mine (culling the herd), I would say it was worth the hassle. Just make sure you use PayPal and prepare for a long wait.

Name:  Gerlach-Lux-Sport-WRUW-041619-99.jpeg
Views: 59
Size:  122.7 KB

Name:  Gerlach-Lux-Sport-027-041619.jpeg
Views: 58
Size:  121.4 KB
    Zeroedout likes this.

I have to add my $0.02 worth to the conversation for whatever it may be worth. I'm considering purchasing one of their watches since I very much like their design and overall they seem to offer good value for the money. I am however very dismayed after reading all the complaints about their shoddy customer service in the various threads on WUS. All the more reason since I happen to be an expatriate. It really annoys me that they're not only ruining their company's reputation but also that people/customers they deal with all over the world may be lead to assume that is a national trait on behalf of all Poles and Polish companies. Communication should not be an issue since these days if you take a walk in any Polish city you'll find that most everyone you meet under the age of 50 is fluent in English. Poland is a relatively small country and it's businesses should strive to be the best they can be on the world market, especially microbrands as in this case. And most do just that. So I do find it strange that Gerlach has these constant hiccups. As a result I've sent them a message (transcript below) in my native language outlining the gripes that keep recurring. Hopefully they'll take it to heart and make some changes.

Dzien Dobry,

Pisze do panstwa z U.S.A./Kanady gdzie mieszkam od dlugich lat. Czesto tez bywam w Polsce. Jestem kolekcjonerem zegarkow oraz Polakiem. Duzo czasu spedzam na forach internetowych. Chcialbym zwrocic uwage ze na forach jest dosc duzo negatywnych komentarzy o firmie Gerlach jesli chodzi o 'customer service' (ze trudno sie z wami skontaktowac, ze przez tygodnie ignorujecie klientow ktorzy zamowili produkt albno ktorzy maja pytania, ze nie mozna sie do was dodzwonic, ze nie jestescie szczerzy jesli chodzi o date wyslania produktu, itd, itd.).
    Prosze panstwa: Polacy i tak maja slaba opinie na ogol na zachodzie jak i generalnie na swiecie. Poprzez wasze zachowanie wszystkim Polakom opinie dalej psujecie i najwazniejsze jest to ze odstraszacie sobie klientow. Takie postepowanie i zachowanie to juz nawet w Polsce wypada z fasonu a na scenie miedzynarodowej to jet nie do przyjecia. Mam nadzieje ze beda z tego powodu wniaski wycigniete.

Dziekuje,
    Fergfour likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information