Tudor Black Bay Saga -- Replica Involved, Advice Requested - Page 4
Like Tree28Likes

Thread: Tudor Black Bay Saga -- Replica Involved, Advice Requested

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Re: Tudor Black Bay Saga -- Replica Involved, Advice Requested

Quote Originally Posted by maroonandwhite View Post
    Also, here are some of the pictures from the original Watchuseek Classifieds thread that Unknown Man #2 posted. The serial number matches the serial on the service receipt and the watch I currently have in-hand:

Attachment 14868445

Attachment 14868449
    If the photos are what you said they are, then you can concentrate on Unknown Man #2. Is he a regular here?

Thanks Dogbert-- I sent you a PM and a link to the original sale thread. I'm not ready to out Unknown Man #2 publicly before I give him every opportunity to make it right. But I did want to share it with someone participating in this thread so they can vouch for that portion of my story, if you don't mind.

Tudor Black Bay Saga -- Replica Involved, Advice Requested

Does the balance cock have the Triovis regulateur? The clone 2824’s fitted to Tudor fakes does not have this. It’s easy to change the part in the keyless works that has the date setting position so you can’t be certain a Tudor is genuine/fake just because there’s no date setting position. The Triovis device is THE acid test.

Quote Originally Posted by hub6152 View Post
    Does the balance cock have the Triovis regulateur? The clone 2824’s fitted to Tudor fakes does not have this. It’s easy to change the part in the keyless works that has the date setting position so you can’t be certain a Tudor is genuine/fake just because there’s no date setting position. The Triovis device is THE acid test.

You're right, this is probably the best test and puts it beyond a point of doubt. I thought the OP had posted a picture of the movement in the Rolex fake busters thread and gone back to look at it but he seemed to have removed it.

However, everyone else has already pointed out what is wrong with the watch, case, bezel, etc.

All, I have found out who the Unknown Man #2 is. Low post count, got to 100 and put the watch up for sale.

Lesson #1 - buy the seller. Make sure seller has good reputation and respected poster here. Shame this one.

OP, I hope that you get a satisfactory resolution on this and I hope your wife isn't going to make you wash dishes for the next 10 years.
    thx67 likes this.

Thank you hub6152-- the regulator is definitely incorrect on my version (see pic below).

And Dogbert, thanks again for your help. I agree with your point re: "buying the seller". I definitely let my guard down based on this guy having a pretty visible/normal internet footprint (appears to be a normal suburban family man). Hopefully he will make it right-- I think establishing that it was fake in the pictures on his original sale thread will be pretty persuasive.

I will follow up with the resolution as soon as we reach one. Thanks again to everyone that added their thoughts/expertise here-- I really appreciate it.

Name:  guxA7mm - Imgur.jpg
Views: 29
Size:  759.2 KB
    hub6152 likes this.

It may be that unknown man 2 could be a legit person and got duped by the pawn shop. So yes, always buy the seller, but there are times when even the seller may be an unwitting vic.

In those cases, knowing a bit about what you’re buying would help too. No judgement on the OP, but the watch has some of the most obvious tells of a fake even without cracking the case.

I know WUS doesn’t like discussion of reps, and the fake busters don’t like noting what the tells are, but this is one of those cases where a problem could’ve been avoided if that info was more readily available.
    LifeTrekker and hub6152 like this.

Madness does not always howl. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "Hey, is there room in your head for one more?"

Wow what a fascinating case. Truly astonishing to me that the original shop that repaired the crown glossed over the fact it was replica. Somebody in that business should be able to identify right away it was not authentic and refused to work on it. So many layers to this transaction. Best of luck in recouping your original costs, I know the original seller seems like a stand up guy, but I've seen situations start off like this, and then slowly the original seller pulls away only to vanish after quite some time. Make sure you stay vigilant and get back 100% of your costs for this bogus watch.

Why should an AD refuse to work on a replica? To punish the watch owner for - intentionally or unintentionally - supporting a scummy market? Or are they contractually obligated to not do so?

Asking because if watchmaker is being paid to fix something, and not authenticate, then why would you turn down the business? Obviously OBs have a completely different incentive but am just curious about the outrage with the watchmaker who repaired the crown?

Genuine question out of curiosity - I do not own a replica or support that market.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtragic View Post
    It may be that unknown man 2 could be a legit person and got duped by the pawn shop. So yes, always buy the seller, but there are times when even the seller may be an unwitting vic.

In those cases, knowing a bit about what you’re buying would help too. No judgement on the OP, but the watch has some of the most obvious tells of a fake even without cracking the case.

I know WUS doesn’t like discussion of reps, and the fake busters don’t like noting what the tells are, but this is one of those cases where a problem could’ve been avoided if that info was more readily available.
    Kinda-sorta. While I believe that we should explain the most obvious problems with a photo of a counterfeit (i.e. wrong pip, hands, whatever), I do agree that we shouldn't point out all the flaws - for good reasons.

The counterfeiters know exactly what is wrong with their products, but by knowing what a customer (or investigator) is looking for, they know how to photograph the product to obscure the flaws.

Remember that you need only only one flaw to declare a counterfeit, but absolutely everything needs to correct to declare a watch real.

Had the OP posted the pictures in the fake busters forum, then he would have had his answer before he bought.

This also explains why we are so hard on speedposters.

Now, back on topic. It seems like the counterfeit was most likely first sold to the pawn shop, so the final buyer is most likely innocent. It also sounds like the OP was duped.

So, the question is if the guy that sold it to the OP knew it was counterfeit when it was sold (and if the pawn shop knew it was counterfeit when they sold it).

Selling counterfeits is a felony (felony fraud/ theft by deception) and is, in layman's terms, no different than stealing $2000 from your wallet. Generally, there is a 5-year statute of limitations for federal criminal matters. 18 U.S.C. § 3282, so the OP needs to hurry if he wants a criminal complaint filed against the seller.

However, the OP really needs to get his facts straight.
    Dogbert_is_fat and ndrs63 like this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information