Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive - Page 5
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 181
  1. #41
    Member whineboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by closeset View Post
    SBGA111 has one of the best dials in GS
    Congrats!!
    Agreed. Though I prefer the symmetry of the Mt. Iwate dials on the high-beat GMTs.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

  2. #42
    Member biokeys87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,326

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive



    I finally downloaded an app earlier this month and my Snowflake is averaging around + 0.1 seconds per day. It can vary, but it hasn't even gained three seconds in just over three weeks. Incredible!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    whineboy likes this.

  3. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    6

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

    I have a Snowflake that I bought brand new in February from an AD. Frankly, I'm disappointed in that it is running 23-25 seconds per month fast, consistently. The consistently part doesn't surprise me at all because the rate of the Spring Drive should be tied to the frequency of the crystal but the fact that it is SO fast bothers me. I contacted Seiko New Jersey, (the ONLY place that can service them, according to Grand Seiko) and they said to send it in and they'd check it. I'm VERY leery of doing this on a brand new watch. I'm also disappointed that Seiko expects me to pay to ship and insure a brand new watch. I could understand if it was out of warranty or if it didn't turn out to have the "defect" I described but according to an email and a phone call, that's their policy.

    I'd be interested in other's comments. I rotate my watches and keep them is pristine condition. This one is absolutely lik enew with NO marks on it. I REALLY hate to send it to some person in New Jersey and possibly get it back with scratches or obvious evidence of having been worked on. I can see that becoming a never ending battle to get fixed.

    Maybe the best thing to do is accept (what I perceive to be) the very poor accuracy of Grand Seiko's flagship watch and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

    Comments?

    Steve
    surfinguru likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #44
    Member BrianBinFL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    681

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasport View Post
    I have a Snowflake that I bought brand new in February from an AD. Frankly, I'm disappointed in that it is running 23-25 seconds per month fast, consistently. The consistently part doesn't surprise me at all because the rate of the Spring Drive should be tied to the frequency of the crystal but the fact that it is SO fast bothers me. I contacted Seiko New Jersey, (the ONLY place that can service them, according to Grand Seiko) and they said to send it in and they'd check it. I'm VERY leery of doing this on a brand new watch. I'm also disappointed that Seiko expects me to pay to ship and insure a brand new watch. I could understand if it was out of warranty or if it didn't turn out to have the "defect" I described but according to an email and a phone call, that's their policy.

    I'd be interested in other's comments. I rotate my watches and keep them is pristine condition. This one is absolutely lik enew with NO marks on it. I REALLY hate to send it to some person in New Jersey and possibly get it back with scratches or obvious evidence of having been worked on. I can see that becoming a never ending battle to get fixed.

    Maybe the best thing to do is accept (what I perceive to be) the very poor accuracy of Grand Seiko's flagship watch and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

    Comments?

    Steve
    What time base have you used to determine it is 23-25 seconds per month fast?

    Personally I'd rather have a watch be a bit fast than a bit slow because I'd rather be early for things than late (even though we're talking about a quantity of seconds that is shy of even half a minute).
    Grand Seiko SBGA373 & SBGA375, Rolex 116610LN, and lots of comparatively economical watches that "spoke to me" - mostly Seiko.

  6. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    141

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    skyWalker, I agree with you regarding mechanical accuracy. My 1-month old SBGW035 is +6 seconds/day (but it is very consistent).
    My $700 Hamilton Jazzmaster is +/- 1 second/day.
    The GS is slightly prettier, however.
    Maybe my next GS will be an SD. Thanks for tempting me.
    Whineboy,

    I can't resist!

    I have owned the Snowflake a month now. When I started the Snowflake I set it 5 secs ahead of the Official NIST U. S. time. When I checked 1 April it was still 5 secs ahead. Exactly 5 secs ahead! I don't expect this to happen next month, but who knows?

    Regards,
    Charles

    Ps. How are you doing with that beautiful Spring Drive Credor?

  7. #46
    Member whineboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Carroll View Post
    Whineboy,

    I can't resist!

    I have owned the Snowflake a month now. When I started the Snowflake I set it 5 secs ahead of the Official NIST U. S. time. When I checked 1 April it was still 5 secs ahead. Exactly 5 secs ahead! I don't expect this to happen next month, but who knows?

    Regards,
    Charles

    Ps. How are you doing with that beautiful Spring Drive Credor?
    Hello Charles, kind of you to remember me!

    Not many of us get perfection in a watch, I'm glad someone who is as thoughtful as you did. Enjoy that terrific Snowflake. Don't forget the WUS motto - "pix or it didn't happen".

    The Credor is on the wrist for a few days (I'm looking at the Glashutte Original Senator Panorama Date Moonphase which is very similar in appearance but with the added moonphase complication and blued hands and I want to have the Credor in mind when I compare). It gains a second every 3 days without fail. Since the 7R87A movement is older than the 9R series, I'm satisfied.

    Name:  IMG_2599.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  1.22 MB
    mleok likes this.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

  8. #47
    Member mleok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    19,248

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrasport View Post
    I have a Snowflake that I bought brand new in February from an AD. Frankly, I'm disappointed in that it is running 23-25 seconds per month fast, consistently. The consistently part doesn't surprise me at all because the rate of the Spring Drive should be tied to the frequency of the crystal but the fact that it is SO fast bothers me. I contacted Seiko New Jersey, (the ONLY place that can service them, according to Grand Seiko) and they said to send it in and they'd check it. I'm VERY leery of doing this on a brand new watch. I'm also disappointed that Seiko expects me to pay to ship and insure a brand new watch. I could understand if it was out of warranty or if it didn't turn out to have the "defect" I described but according to an email and a phone call, that's their policy.

    I'd be interested in other's comments. I rotate my watches and keep them is pristine condition. This one is absolutely lik enew with NO marks on it. I REALLY hate to send it to some person in New Jersey and possibly get it back with scratches or obvious evidence of having been worked on. I can see that becoming a never ending battle to get fixed.

    Maybe the best thing to do is accept (what I perceive to be) the very poor accuracy of Grand Seiko's flagship watch and chalk it up to a lesson learned.

    Comments?

    Steve
    I would probably leave it as is. While the accuracy is somewhat disappointing, in the grand scheme of things, having to adjust the time once every other month is probably less of a hassle than shipping the watch back when it's in pristine condition and worrying about what cosmetic damage might be inflicted during service.
    whineboy likes this.


    Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

    Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

  9. #48
    Member mleok's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    19,248

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    Hello Charles, kind of you to remember me!

    Not many of us get perfection in a watch, I'm glad someone who is as thoughtful as you did. Enjoy that terrific Snowflake. Don't forget the WUS motto - "pix or it didn't happen".

    The Credor is on the wrist for a few days (I'm looking at the Glashutte Original Senator Panorama Date Moonphase which is very similar in appearance but with the added moonphase complication and blued hands and I want to have the Credor in mind when I compare). It gains a second every 3 days without fail. Since the 7R87A movement is older than the 9R series, I'm satisfied.

    Name:  IMG_2599.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  1.22 MB
    The movement of that watch is very pretty. Found a photo on reddit, not sure if it's from you.

    Name:  cPc0Wek.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  821.5 KB
    whineboy likes this.


    Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

    Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

  10. #49
    Member whineboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    2,093

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

    Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    The movement of that watch is very pretty. Found a photo on reddit, not sure if it's from you.
    Agreed, it's really lovely (you can see most of the glide wheel spinning (it's finished with graining) as well as the adjacent wheel rotating). Much more to enjoy than the 9R31.

    Not my photo - too good to be mine. I do have a few of the movement here on WUS.
    mleok likes this.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

  11. #50
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    6

    Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

    I'm a HAM radio operator as well so I have access to a very accurate time signal from WWV. I've also checked it against my cell phone over a number of days. Both agree it's running 23-25 sec/month fast. I realize it's better than COSC standards but it's disappointing to spend this amount of money on a watch that is SUPPOSED to be accurate to plus/minus 15 seconds a month and have it be so far off. Frankly, based on most of the reports I have seen, I really expected it to be considerably better than 15 per month but even that would have been "acceptable".

    Having read a lot about the Spring Drive before buying one, I really thought Grand Seiko was truly trying to compete against companies the likes of Rolex and Omega. I would have expected them to be SURE that every watch performed MUCH better than specification and it if didn't, I would have expected them to at least seem concerned and want the watch back. That's what gets the excellent reputation that I thought they had. I'm very disappointed to say the least.

    When I contacted Seiko New Jersey... the ONLY place in the USA that can service the watch, it was particularly surprising and disappointing to hear the response that I had to pay for shipping and insurance to repair THEIR mistake. If they had said "We'll reimburse you for the shipping costs once we verify the defect", it would have set better.

    I'm sure there are those that would say I am being too picky. I simply feel that the response I received from Seiko USA is unacceptable for a watch of this supposed quality. Having worked in QA for a number of years, I can tell you that most customer's perception of a company's quality is based on how well the company meets or EXCEEDS the customer's EXPECTATIONS. In this case, Seiko has certainly not met my expectations or even its own specification and it will definitely influence my future purchasing decisions.
    mleok likes this.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Replies: 10
      Last Post: August 22nd, 2016, 09:33
    2. Accuracy - Seiko Spring Drive
      By Yrh0413 in forum Seiko
      Replies: 26
      Last Post: February 21st, 2015, 20:38
    3. Replies: 0
      Last Post: May 10th, 2014, 08:43
    4. Seiko Spring Drive Accuracy
      By South Pender in forum Seiko
      Replies: 14
      Last Post: May 2nd, 2009, 17:32
    5. Accuracy report on Grand Seiko Spring Drive.....
      By omdroparebop in forum High Accuracy Quartz watches
      Replies: 13
      Last Post: February 15th, 2008, 14:12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •