Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive - Page 7
Like Tree75Likes

Thread: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Re: Accuracy of Grand Seiko Spring Drive

Have any of you ever heard of issues with Spring Drive accuracy issues in extreme heat? Quartz accuracy is dependent on temperature and SD is dependent on quartz. anyone have any thoughts?

No direct experience, but... the spring drive stated accuracy is spec'd for on wrist in temps from 5-35C. If you happen to wear it in temps over 35C, I suspect that will be for relatively short periods of time. The accuracy change of quartz over temp between say 35C and 45C isn't going to be anything significant over a few hours, and after a few hours I suspect you're going to be hot enough to get out of the heat. The spec'd operational temp range of the spring drive is -10 to 60C.

Quote Originally Posted by gychang03 View Post
    Have any of you ever heard of issues with Spring Drive accuracy issues in extreme heat? Quartz accuracy is dependent on temperature and SD is dependent on quartz. anyone have any thoughts?
    I do not think the problem would be accuracy, after all why and how one would use a spring drive watch in extreme heat for a long time? Meaning days and days. I have destroyed a first generation beautiful Seiko quartz chronometer (1984) by wearing it to sauna; battery leaked. Idiot me. Spring drive does not have a battery, but mechanical watches get destroyed (not totally killed, but have to be cleaned) by heat because the lubricants get too runny. SD is almost 100% mechanical. SD has capacitors in the regulator, which might leak at high temperatures.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by GMT-man View Post
    I do not think the problem would be accuracy, after all why and how one would use a spring drive watch in extreme heat for a long time? Meaning days and days. I have destroyed a first generation beautiful Seiko quartz chronometer (1984) by wearing it to sauna; battery leaked. Idiot me. Spring drive does not have a battery, but mechanical watches get destroyed (not totally killed, but have to be cleaned) by heat because the lubricants get too runny. SD is almost 100% mechanical. SD has capacitors in the regulator, which might leak at high temperatures.
    I thought that SD movements have no capacitors. That all of the electricity is generated in real time, not stored.

I could be incorrect.
    It wasn't this time until now. - Me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
    I thought that SD movements have no capacitors. That all of the electricity is generated in real time, not stored.

I could be incorrect.
    You are correct. No battery or capacitor for storing electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Sassi View Post
    You are correct. No battery or capacitor for storing electricity.
    Perfectly true. But I suspect that it is practically impossible to build an electronic speed control system without at least some capacitors in the circuit. Even though tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by GMT-man View Post
    Perfectly true. But I suspect that it is practically impossible to build an electronic speed control system without at least some capacitors in the circuit. Even though tiny.
    I have read that the Spring Drive contains a very small capacitor (not the battery-like capacitors in kinetic and solar watches) just for power smoothing and to keep the TSR from losing power when the watch is hacked during time setting. If I recall correctly if you keep the crown pulled out for longer than 30 minutes you'll exhaust the capacitor and when you push the crown in the watch will freewheel like it does when you first wind it (when the TSR is not yet powered up).

I have not tested any of the above, just going by what I've read.
    Grand Seiko SBGA373 & SBGA375, Rolex 116610LN, and lots of comparatively economical watches that "spoke to me" - mostly Seiko.

lvt

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBinFL View Post
    I have read that the Spring Drive contains a very small capacitor (not the battery-like capacitors in kinetic and solar watches) just for power smoothing and to keep the TSR from losing power when the watch is hacked during time setting. If I recall correctly if you keep the crown pulled out for longer than 30 minutes you'll exhaust the capacitor and when you push the crown in the watch will freewheel like it does when you first wind it (when the TSR is not yet powered up).

I have not tested any of the above, just going by what I've read.
    Technically, this does make sense.

I also have a question, does anyone know whether the power reserve indicator on a SD is mechanical (directly geared to mainspring) or electronic (it just reads the voltage from the capacitor or generator)?
    Ball - Casio (G-shock) - HMT - Longines - Parnis - Seagull - Steinhart - Tissot - Victorinox - Yema

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post

I also have a question, does anyone know whether the power reserve indicator on a SD is mechanical (directly geared to mainspring) or electronic (it just reads the voltage from the capacitor or generator)?
    That’s mechanical.

Watches in profile....

Quote Originally Posted by lvt View Post

Voltage is always the same 0.5V and there is no electrical power storage device (battery or power capacitor) in the system, so how could the power reserve gauge be electrical???? All electricity is generated on-the-fly.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information