Thread: Credor Deconstruction

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Credor Deconstruction

Bless The Naked Watchmaker for this gift:

https://www.thenakedwatchmaker.com/d...redor-sonnerie
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Re: Credor Deconstruction

Very cool - love the bell/gong. I wonder though, who let's him take apart these watches? I know he's a highly respected watchmaker but if I owned a Credor Sonnerie I don't think I'd let ANYONE take it apart except for those that made it to begin with.
    whineboy, Domo and Beadhead like this.

Quote Originally Posted by John Price View Post
    Very cool - love the bell/gong. I wonder though, who let's him take apart these watches? I know he's a highly respected watchmaker but if I owned a Credor Sonnerie I don't think I'd let ANYONE take it apart except for those that made it to begin with.
    Yep, I’d only let the Micro Artists Studio touch “mine”. Wonder who provided the watch (made in 2006 and never disassembled). I guess someone trusted Peter Speake Marin enough to give it a try.

Edit - having read through the decon more slowly, I find this watch terrifying in its complexity. 600+ parts. The Naked Watchmaker must have some very steady hands (and big some parts made of brass) to pull this off.
    Last edited by whineboy; January 3rd, 2020 at 22:54.
    John Price, mleok, Domo and 3 others like this.
    whineboy

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That's an amazing watch, well beyond what I would ever imagine spending on a watch. But, I don't understand the decision to pair such a haute horlogerie complication with a Spring Drive that ultimately relies on an integrated circuit that cannot be fabricated by hand if necessary.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

I really admire these tear-downs. That guy must be very talented to do what he does. Something tells me googling "Credor grand sonnerie repair" doesn't give many hits.
    I'm surprised to see (from what I can tell) that the watch is based on a fairly stock 7R spring drive calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by Domo View Post
    I really admire these tear-downs. That guy must be very talented to do what he does. Something tells me googling "Credor grand sonnerie repair" doesn't give many hits.
    I'm surprised to see (from what I can tell) that the watch is based on a fairly stock 7R spring drive calibre.
    I think he has manufacturer support for some. In his Breguet Classique 5177 decon he uses some tools that appear to come from the manufacturer.

BarracksSi, Domo and John Price like this.
    whineboy

Amazing disassembly. Not seen a sonnerie taken apart like that before let alone one of this quality. Very interesting that the timekeeping base appears to be identical to the original 7R68 handwound calibers (can tell just from looking at the backplate).

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    That's an amazing watch, well beyond what I would ever imagine spending on a watch. But, I don't understand the decision to pair such a haute horlogerie complication with a Spring Drive that ultimately relies on an integrated circuit that cannot be fabricated by hand if necessary.
    It's obvious isn't it? Seiko believe Spring Drive is a superior movement overall and want to showcase this in their pinnacle pieces.

Assuming that mechanical has increased reliability because it's simpler in the sense that a time-traveller from today returning to the 19th century would theoretically be able to hammer out a similar movement in their workshop in it seems to me a bit of a stretch. Reliability is increased in theory but not that much more in practice.

It has been 20 years since SD was released and I think the Sonnerie itself was released in late 2000s. Has anybody heard of a single IC going bust on any Spring Drive watch ever?

What is the mechanism of failure for a modern low-power IC when the case is sealed and temperature has no impact due to the nanowatts (almost nothing) of power going through the chip? Even if the consequences of failure are high, the probability of failure is extremely low, and thus this evens out the risk of failure (R = C*P). On the other hand with an all-mechanical piece, the probability of failure over time is high, but consequences are low. One chooses their poison.

If Seiko goes bust (they won't), I'm sure the person who can afford a piece like this can afford to scavenge an IC from spare parts or even have one made or reverse engineered, that is if Seiko hasn't already stockpiled a tonne of these. From what I've read, what the IC does functionally is extremely simple and well understood, the chip is just proprietary.

I'm surprised -- pleasantly so -- by the technical tour de force that this watch represents. MEMS for the mesh insert and the buffer springs? Wild stuff to add to a classic complication.

Eek! It was a bit like watching a stop motion horror film - I though that the GS stripdown was difficult to watch.

Skills to pay the bills! He makes a monumental task look effortless and dare I say, fun.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast