Date change on the 9F85 is there a danger zone?

Thread: Date change on the 9F85 is there a danger zone?

Date change on the 9F85 is there a danger zone?

Hi everyone, as per the the title, for the 9F85 gmt is there a dangerzone? asking because i change it whenever and sometimes my flight lands at midnight meaning i'm changing it within the traditional dangerzone.

I don't see any caution note in the manual so hope it's fine for this.

thanks

Re: Date change on the 9F85 is there a danger zone?

For that movement the date is changed only by moving the hour hand. There is not a date change position per se, on the crown positions. That means that at the end of a 30 day month, you need to move the hour hand through two complete revolutions or 24 hours to change the date. This has been the case for all GS GMT type watches, and is now being extended to the 9F non-GMT models as well. (The instructions do cover this. btw) If the watch has stopped for some reason (i.e. it is not a 9F, but a mechanical or spring drive GMT movement) in the middle of the month, you may have a lot of turning to do.

As I understand it there is no fast date set on this movement and as such no “danger” period.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

That was close....
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by gumpy_999 View Post
    Hi everyone, as per the the title, for the 9F85 gmt is there a dangerzone? asking because i change it whenever and sometimes my flight lands at midnight meaning i'm changing it within the traditional dangerzone.

I don't see any caution note in the manual so hope it's fine for this.

thanks
    I haven't played with a 9F85 before but this is what I found on page 16 of the owner's manual:

Set the date also at this point if necessary.

* The crown can be turned in either direction to set the date, however, it is recommended
    to turn the crown in the direction which enables you to set the date with a smaller
    adjustment.

* If the time you want to set is between 7:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m., first return the time to 6:00
    p.m., and then turn the crown counterclockwise (6 o’clock direction) so the hands advance
    in the clockwise direction to set the time.

* Turn the crown slowly, checking that the hour hand moves in one-hour increments.

* When setting the hour hand, the other hands may move slightly. However, this is not a
    malfunction.

[Bold added.]

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by BrianBinFL; 10 Hours Ago at 21:09.
    Grand Seiko SBGA373 & SBGA375, Rolex 116610LN, and lots of comparatively economical watches that "spoke to me" - mostly Seiko.

Has anyone found themselves with hour wheel problems from needing to adjust this repeatedly? It's a notorious problem in Omegas which have a similar setup.

Also I noticed when trying out a GMT version at an AD when I set the hour hand coincident with the GMT hand and then set the time normally the hour hand drifted away from the GMT hand and I had to readjust the hour hand when done. Is this normal? Many thanks.

Since there isn't a quick date change mechanism, there's no way to break it (regardless of the time). You should be able to change the time when you land... I suspect Seiko wants you to rotate back to 6 during the 'danger window' to ensure the date wheel engages correctly and the date changes on time. I will say that every Omega watch I've owned with an independent hour hand (i.e. 'true GMT') has had an issue with the hour hand lagging. I've owned two Grand Seiko hi beat GMT's and both of them were perfect, but I suspect over time the leaf spring will wear and the hour hand will lag.

Thread Information