Did Spring Drive accuracy 'ruin' standard mechanical watches for you? - Page 3
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Did Spring Drive accuracy 'ruin' standard mechanical watches for you?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Did Spring Drive accuracy 'ruin' standard mechanical watches for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jostack View Post
    The 9f also has a gear train much like a typical mechanical watch that does require service as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sure, once every 50 years. Or so GS claims with their vacuum-sealed compartment, as the movement's "only" 25 years old we can't know this for sure yet. But the point is, it's much less hassle and upkeep than either mechanical or Spring Drive.
    Art is how we decorate space. Music is how we decorate time.

Absolutely not.
    My collection of mechanical watches all run well within specification. Now, COSC is, if I remember correctly, -4 to 6+ per day.
    Mine run a lot closer than that, indeed, my Rolex Sub, which incidentally 'should' run -2 to 2+ per day, actually run's a very consistent 0.5+ seconds per day!

I'm more than happy with this level of accuracy.
    What Spring Drive did 'ruin' for me was, having to be returned back to Japan for service. That, I do find unacceptable.
    Now, before people start getting 'over excited', that's what Seiko UK informed me of, when I emailed them regarding servicing of their watches.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    What Spring Drive did 'ruin' for me was, having to be returned back to Japan for service. That, I do find unacceptable.
    Now, before people start getting 'over excited', that's what Seiko UK informed me of, when I emailed them regarding servicing of their watches.
    I have exactly the opposite concern. When the day comes that I want to have my GS SD serviced I want it to go back to Japan. I am worried that they will try to service it in New Jersey. I'm hoping that whenever that day comes I can tell them that I will pay whatever the additional expense is to have it serviced in Japan.
    yokied likes this.
    Grand Seiko SBGA375, Rolex 116610LN, and lots of comparatively economical watches that "spoke to me" - mostly Seiko.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBinFL View Post
    I have exactly the opposite concern. When the day comes that I want to have my GS SD serviced I want it to go back to Japan. I am worried that they will try to service it in New Jersey. I'm hoping that whenever that day comes I can tell them that I will pay whatever the additional expense is to have it serviced in Japan.

For me, it was the inconvenience of sending the watch back to Japan. I can get my Rolex & Omega watches serviced here in the UK, by the manufacturers.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060.
    Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT.
    Omega Aqua Terra 8500.
    Omega Planet Ocean 8800.
    Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7600-1AJF.
    Casio MRG-7700-1AJF.
    Casio GMW-B5000-1ER.
    Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

Quote Originally Posted by HiggsBoson View Post
    For me, it was the inconvenience of sending the watch back to Japan. I can get my Rolex & Omega watches serviced here in the UK, by the manufacturers.
    Yeah, that's the unavoidable consequence of owning a watch that's made in the mid-tens-of-thousands per year (GS) versus watches that are made in the hundreds of thousands per year (Rolex and Omega). It's just not economically feasible (in my opinion) to have hundreds of service locations for something made in such small quantities. This is compounded by the fact that I'm certain that the profit margin on any given GS (as a percentage) is smaller than the profit margin on a Rolex or Omega.

I think it's just part of the package when one owns a boutique brand.
    yokied likes this.
    Grand Seiko SBGA375, Rolex 116610LN, and lots of comparatively economical watches that "spoke to me" - mostly Seiko.

I used to get more of a kick watching the incredibly smooth sweep than the accuracy factor, which of course is a given with this type of watch.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by kamonjj View Post
    I love quartz. I love purely mechanical. And I love SD.

Having been a car enthusiast for many years, itís the same way. I donít just appreciate the most efficient turbo setups of today, I also enjoy the carbureted big blocks of the 70s.
    And I feel that is an apt analogy. For years I was a normally aspirated aficionado. While many friends were experimenting with superchargers, turbos and nitrous, I didn't feel a car was "right" unless it was NA. Now a few years later with the perfection of powerful twin turbo or supercharged and electric cars, I have moved forward and gotten rid of my old classics. No more maintenance, all in warranty and all with TTs or SCs and way more performance as well as creature comforts. I suppose that is why I have moved towards the HAQ watch models as well. Luckily there is still room for lovers of each.

Not in the least for me. Since getting my Snowflake five years ago, my full mechanical collection has grown by many including two GS Hi-beats. I've only occasionally considered adding another Spring Drive... it is indeed very very cool; the sweep, great timekeeping, movement is finished better than GS's mechanicals... but my itch has seemingly been scratched and another would have to be a very special piece. I somehow still find full mechanicals more charming. I think it's because the timekeeping is totally mechanically created and adjusted, while in SD (while the tech is a marvel) it is really dependent on the quartz crystal regardless of how much of the rest of the movement is boasted as mechanical. The escapement wheel and pallet fork coupling have always been the coolest moving parts of a movement for me.

Another thing that has affected my choices is that (relatively speaking) there aren't really that many different Spring Drive calibers to choose from, or not enough different choices of models for calibers other than the standard 3 hand (with power reserve) or the GMT (power reserve).
    Last edited by bluedialer; 1 Week Ago at 22:58.

Thanks all, again, not looking for some sort of factual answer, just curious what has happened and how you view SD's in your collection.

To be clear on accuracy, I was not suggesting these are better than a pure quartz watch, rather they are so accurate you will likely never even think about it, worry about it, etc. - you would fully take it for granted. You could buy a new (insert any brand of mechanical watch) and could run -5 seconds/day or be spot on, it is luck of the draw and subject to drift over time or with outside factors. I think of a parallel universe where Rolex developed this technology and how they could use it in their marketing (I pick on Rolex because they spend a huge amount of their energy on accuracy and reliability so the wearer just does not need to worry about it).
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    Sure, once every 50 years. Or so GS claims with their vacuum-sealed compartment, as the movement's "only" 25 years old we can't know this for sure yet. But the point is, it's much less hassle and upkeep than either mechanical or Spring Drive.
    Wow. Thanks. I didnít realize that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast