Grand Seiko Adds Seven New Full-Production Models for 2020
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Grand Seiko Adds Seven New Full-Production Models for 2020

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Sponsor Timeless Luxury Watches's Avatar

Grand Seiko Adds Seven New Full-Production Models for 2020

Grand Seiko just released four new limited edition watches for their 60th anniversary earlier this week, but this hasn't stopped the respected Japanese brand from releasing another seven, and this time they're full-production. So far in 2020, we've seen that Grand Seiko is really prioritizing quartz, revealing the new 9F85 movement, and today's release not only adds three new 9F85-based watches, but two new 9F86-based watches, each of which is essentially the vanguard of a modern Grand Seiko quartz revival.

The 9F85 is a lot like some other 9Fs that came before it: a hyper-accurate three hander with date. Given that, you might be asking what the big deal is, but the reason that Grand Seiko fans are so excited for the 9F85 is that it finally introduces an independent hour hand, which you might be familiar with from other watches with "true" GMT complications. That allows the wearer to, in essence, disconnect the hour hand from the seconds and minute hands, and rotate it backwards or forwards in one-hour increments. Originally designed to make it easier for travelers to change time zones, independent hour hands have found a second life in extremely high accuracy quartz movements, and the reason is simple: when daylight savings time comes, or if you have to change your time zone, you ordinarily have to hack (stop) the seconds hand to change the time, and all that wonderful accuracy you were enjoying is lost. You are once again given the unwanted task of synchronizing your seconds hand with some reference time. But now, with the 9F85, you can change the hour hand without affecting that +/- 10 seconds per year accuracy, and you can do so without the addition of a GMT hand, lending itself to simple, uncluttered design.

But onto the watches. We'll start with the core of the new 9F85 collection, which will carry this movement long after the recent limited editions are sold out. From left to right, that'd be the SBGP001, SBGP003, and SBGP005. Each 40mm watch is a very classic Grand Seiko in its own right, something for the traditionalists (like me). All three are will cost $3,200.

The first 9F movement with an independent hour hand, the 9F86 GMT, isn't left out of the party either, with two new models, also 40mm. On the left we have the SBGN011 and on the right we have the SBGN013, again very classic examples of reserved Grand Seiko design. Each are just $3,000, and unless I was given the wrong pricing, this makes the GMT watches slightly more affordable than the non-GMT watches. Why that would be I will leave you to ponder, but it does make it a pretty impressive value proposition compared to the three-handers.

The final two models, the SBGH277 and SBGH279, are a bit of a deviation on the early 2020 formula, using the Hi-Beat 9S85 automatic movement instead of a novel quartz. They're both quite good looking and, thankfully, also very reasonably sized at 40mm. Each are $6,100.
    Last edited by Timeless Luxury Watches; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:32.

Re: Grand Seiko Adds Seven New Full-Production Models for 2020

Well, I'm sorely disappointed.
    Current: 234.026 | 1016 | 15450 | 116400GV | 214270 | PAM914 | Oris GBR | Memovox | Longines Mystery | AT4008-51E | SKX009 | Sistem Frog | Swatch Mickey | Steelers | GWM5610

Gone: Reverso Duo RG | 4500v | 5167a | Reverso TT1931 Choco |
    15400 Black | 126711CHNR | 126660 | Geophysic 1958 | 116610LV | 116710BLNR | 116610LN | MUT Moon Black | 16710 Pepsi | 126234 | 114060 (x2) | JLC MC Date | PAM911 | PAM560 | 214270 (x2) | Speedy Tuesday | SBGJ227 | SBGH269 | SBGH267 | SBGA413 | Santos | SBGA125 | SBGA211 (x3) | Speedy Pro (x2) | SBGA375 | SMP300 Wave | 25600TB | SBGW231 | BB GMT (x2) | BB58 | SBGV247 | SBGX091 | SBGX093 | Black Bay Red | SLA019 | SLA023 | Tangente 38 | Oris x Hodinkee | 6694 | Helbros Chrono | SPB075 | SPB083 | SBDC051 (x2) | Seaforth III | SBP089 | Atmos 528-8 | Hamilton Navy Pioneer | 7619-7010 | Visodate | Khaki 38mm | 6139-7020 | 6138-0017 | SRPB09 | SRPA21 | SARB065 | Movado | Orient Mako XL | SRPD95 | Timex Marlin | DW5600 | Weekender | G9000MS-1 | AE1200WHD-1A

Quote Originally Posted by ramonesf2 View Post
    Well, I'm sorely disappointed.
    And me. Where is the 40mm quartz diver?
    LARufCTR likes this.
    I could stop buying watches, but I'm no quitter.

Rolex Submariner Ceramic ND 114060. Grand Seiko SBGN001G GMT. Omega Aqua Terra 8500. Omega Planet Ocean 8800. Omega Speedmaster 1863.

Casio MRG-8100B-1AJF. Casio MRG-7600-1AJF. Casio MRG-7700-1AJF. Casio GMW-B5000-1ER. Casio GMW-B5000TB-1ER. Casio GW-5000-1AJF.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

SBGH279 is the star of the show here. Another incredible Seiko dial, and no ltd edn nonsense.
    watchcrank and WastedYears like this.
    Signature deleted. Please do not violate our rules & guidelines.

That black GMT would do me.
    vee1rotate likes this.

Solid additions.

What is all the crowing about a 40mm diver I keep reading about. What in Seiko or GS history suggests that is even a remote possibility? What is special about 40mm or a diver? Has GS hinted about something I've not heard about?
    jvi1 likes this.

Very nice. Good looking, all of them.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Wow that's the first GMT I've seen that looks like it could properly be worn with a suit or even maybe a tux without looking boy-racer-ish. Fantastic work by GS here. Digame: is 9F85 5 SPY or 10 SPY? What about the GMT movement SPY?

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless Luxury Watches View Post

Grand Seiko just released four new limited edition watches for their 60th anniversary earlier this week, but this hasn't stopped the respected Japanese brand from releasing another seven, and this time they're full-production. So far in 2020, we've seen that Grand Seiko is really prioritizing quartz, revealing the new 9F85 movement, and today's release not only adds three new 9F85-based watches, but two new 9F86-based watches, each of which is essentially the vanguard of a modern Grand Seiko quartz revival.

The 9F85 is a lot like some other 9Fs that came before it: a hyper-accurate three hander with date. Given that, you might be asking what the big deal is, but the reason that Grand Seiko fans are so excited for the 9F85 is that it finally introduces an independent hour hand, which you might be familiar with from other watches with "true" GMT complications. That allows the wearer to, in essence, disconnect the hour hand from the seconds and minute hands, and rotate it backwards or forwards in one-hour increments. Originally designed to make it easier for travelers to change time zones, independent hour hands have found a second life in extremely high accuracy quartz movements, and the reason is simple: when daylight savings time comes, or if you have to change your time zone, you ordinarily have to hack (stop) the seconds hand to change the time, and all that wonderful accuracy you were enjoying is lost. You are once again given the unwanted task of synchronizing your seconds hand with some reference time. But now, with the 9F85, you can change the hour hand without affecting that +/- 10 seconds per year accuracy, and you can do so without the addition of a GMT hand, lending itself to simple, uncluttered design.

But onto the watches. We'll start with the core of the new 9F85 collection, which will carry this movement long after the recent limited editions are sold out. From left to right, that'd be the SBGP001, SBGP003, and SBGP005. Each 40mm watch is a very classic Grand Seiko in its own right, something for the traditionalists (like me). All three are will cost $3,200. But there's a little more to this than meets the eye. Long-time Grand Seiko fans will find that these look quite similar to three existing watches, namely the SBGV205, SBGV207, and the SBGV239, and that's because they are the official successors to those three watches as the originals are now being discontinued. That alone is pretty trivial, but I think it's a sign that the 9F85 will be the mainstay of Grand Seiko quartz for the foreseeable future.

The first Grand Seiko quartz movement with an independent hour hand, the 9F86 GMT, isn't left out of the party either, with two new models, also 40mm. On the left we have the SBGN011 and on the right we have the SBGN013, again very classic examples of reserved Grand Seiko design. Each are just $3,000, and unless I was given the wrong pricing, this makes the GMT watches slightly more affordable than the non-GMT watches. Why that would be I will leave you to ponder, but it does make it a pretty impressive value proposition compared to the three-handers.

The final two models, the SBGH277 and SBGH279, are a bit of a deviation on the early 2020 formula, using the Hi-Beat 9S85 automatic movement instead of a novel quartz. They're both quite good looking and, thankfully, also very reasonably sized at 40mm. But despite this, they're a bit bittersweet for me, and that's because they replace some of my all-time favorite Grand Seikos, the SBGH001/SBGH201 and the SBGH005/SBGH205, which are now being discontinued. They're also both a bit sportier than their predecessors, so for those who found the originals a bit bland, this is a great option. Each are $6,100.

Sponsor Timeless Luxury Watches's Avatar

I believe all of these (at least, all of the quartz) are 10 seconds per year. Generally, GS puts the applied star logo on the dial of 5 seconds per year 9F watches.
    tomchicago and GreenHex like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless Luxury Watches View Post
    I believe all of these (at least, all of the quartz) are 10 seconds per year. Generally, GS puts the applied star logo on the dial of 5 seconds per year 9F watches.
    The SBGPs look to be like the SBGVs with the 9F82 upgraded to the 9F85, at a modest price increase of $100.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information