Grand Seiko Brand Strategy - Page 10
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Grand Seiko Brand Strategy

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
    Mechanical movements of GS watches are hardly on the same level of reliability and accuracy as the latest Rolex or Omega movements.
    I can’t claim to have extensive experience with Swiss or GS watches, but I do have both an Omega with a co-axial chronometer movement and a Grand Seiko with a hi-beat movement, and both have performed in the neighborhood of +/- 0.5 seconds a day over periods of several days.

Re: Grand Seiko Brand Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by RPF View Post
    Go play with the Omega, side by side with a Rolex or GS.

As for dates, thanks for the update. However, note that if you set the time backwards then use the quickset, the date can either get stuck in between dates or become misaligned. I've seen this happen on Omega and several other brands.
    Again, this is not a problem with the Rolex date only movements, unlike essentially every other instantaneous date change movement. It's something they mastered decades ago, but no other brand seems to have achieved. Go play with one to convince yourself.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

RPF

Quote Originally Posted by mleok View Post
    Again, this is not a problem with the Rolex date only movements, unlike essentially every other instantaneous date change movement. It's something they mastered decades ago, but no other brand seems to have achieved. Go play with one to convince yourself.
    Oh. I don't like to set dates. Gave up on them years ago. Either PC quartz or time-only. I'm happy with the Rolexes left in the box.

Honestly, I've not thought about the date feature in a long time. At any rate, there are so many different mechanisms on the market it's better to stick to rules that work with most watches. Avoid quicksetting between 9 and 3, don't use the quickset after setting time back. Now, PCs and ACs, those take some reading--and thinking.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by RPF View Post
    Oh. I don't like to set dates. Gave up on them years ago. Either PC quartz or time-only. I'm happy with the Rolexes left in the box.

Honestly, I've not thought about the date feature in a long time. At any rate, there are so many different mechanisms on the market it's better to stick to rules that work with most watches. Avoid quicksetting between 9 and 3, don't use the quickset after setting time back. Now, PCs and ACs, those take some reading--and thinking.
    You’re simply incapable of admitting when you’re wrong.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

RPF

Wrong? About setting the date? I gave my dad a day-date years ago, and specifically warned him against setting the date that way, because I knew he doesn't read manuals.
    Last edited by RPF; 3 Weeks Ago at 16:08.

Gentlemen, how are date setting and GMT hands on Rolex and Omega related to Grand Seiko’s strategy? :)

Today GS launched a blue snowflake SBGA407 which is visually very close to the US limited edition blue kirazuri SBGA387. Except the new release costs $1000 less and devalues the limited edition.

This is another sign that GS is confused. It is the sort of thing that Panerai has done, with limited editions and regular models diluting each other.

Personally shenanigans like this and the new Seiko LX line turn me off GS as a brand.

Quote Originally Posted by westcoastco View Post
    Today GS launched a blue snowflake SBGA407 which is visually very close to the US limited edition blue kirazuri SBGA387. Except the new release costs $1000 less and devalues the limited edition.

This is another sign that GS is confused. It is the sort of thing that Panerai has done, with limited editions and regular models diluting each other.

Personally shenanigans like this and the new Seiko LX line turn me off GS as a brand.
    I don't see the new release as a competitor to the 387, moreso the OG Snowflake - it's a blue colored Snowflake dial, completely different from the kirazuri aside from that particular shade of blue. The pricing at $5800 is in line with the SBGA211 pricing as well.

I don't really see this devaluing the 387 since the two designs are visually distinctive enough, but maybe that's just me.
    BigSeikoFan likes this.

Saw the blue snowflake news today - personally, not having seen kirazuri in person, I don’t think the two are comparable. The new snowflake is on leather, while kirazuri seems like it would reflect a lot more light.

That said, I agree with the direction of your post. Limited editions should stay limited and rolled out with caution. GS has been too busy issuing one colorful dial after another, they sidestep the mechanical elephants in the room, mainly accuracy and thickness. Unless their hardware catches up, GS can’t claim to be equal to the Swiss leaders.
    mleok likes this.

Gentlemen, how are date setting and GMT hands on Rolex and Omega related to Grand Seiko’s strategy? :)
    I think we were discussing the relative merits of their mechanical movements and the extent to which Grand Seiko is justified in their ever upward trend in pricing.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread Information