Grand Seiko Conundrum: Should I or Shouldn't I?
Like Tree45Likes

Thread: Grand Seiko Conundrum: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Grand Seiko Conundrum: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Well I'm having a bit of a personal conundrum. Don't get me wrong, I'm team GS ride or die, but am hoping for some opinions as I'm at a bit of a burnout. Currently, the only three GS' left in my possession are: SBGA029, SBGA031, SBGN003.

Enter: Rolex Submariner (no date).

Option 1: Sell it all, go one-watch with the Sub, and live stress free (and maybe live with some regrets)

Option 2: Sell SBGA029, SBGN003, but KEEP SBGA031 and scramble for money elsewhere (cons: maintaining a slight amount of debt until other things are sold off)

Some backstory. SBGA031 was my first personal grail, my favorite modern watch of all time, however it's a safe queen and doesn't get wear (intentionally; yes, I'm that kind of collector) because it's simply too big and I like just holding it (my precious). It was a landmark watch for me, my first GS, which I bought to commemorate buying my first home. I consider it a piece of art, and it's the last run of the old school dial before the dial change the following year. ie: there is no replacing it. The 029 was bought as a daily beater but ultimately it's too large as well.

I don't mean for this to spiral into yet another GS vs. Rolex thread, however there are a few things on my mind in this regard as well.
    1) GS reliance on LE's burning me out. Rolex commitment to established design lines (you know what you're getting)
    2) GS sizing: The SD divers are already too large for me. Do I really appreciate the 031 as a design over all, or does it's sizing negate it's status as artful design in my mind. Is the 031 really a timeless design like the Sub, or is it a bit "me too"?
    3) GS finishing is clearly superior to Rolex. Will that bother me if I go Rolex? No doubt the Sub is the archetype and better dive watch overall
    4) All of the Rolex baggage (what it supposedly tells the world, tomfoolery, etc.)

At any given time I can flip flop from one option to the other, and am hoping for some guidance. Clearly the 031 means a lot to me, it's taken me the better part of one year to get to this point to even consider selling it an option. But should I sell it all, or should I keep the 031 and maintain my GS dignity...

Re: Grand Seiko Conundrum: Should I or Shouldn't I?

Get the exit watch. Read into that what you will.
    warsh, yngrshr, ahonobaka and 1 others like this.
    MIKE

The longer I stay in this hobby, the more I find myself wishing to go back to a time when I only had one watch (it was a Timex Easy Reader) and that was enough for me. Wore it every day until the strap broke down, replaced the strap, then kept wearing it. Thinking back, I really miss the simplicity of that time!

Now, I've actually been dealing with similar thoughts: selling all of my watches (including my Snowflake, my only GS) to fund a gold Cartier Tank and to wear that as my only watch. I even fully typed out my For Sale post and took pictures, but I haven't had the nerve to actually post the thread yet.

With that said, Option 1 sounds ideal if you're able to get there. I think a one-watch collection has a lot of merits - like you said, it's less stressful. It can also help deal with the FOMO of watch collecting - great deals/cool limited editions you can't seem to pass up. However, I understand wanting to keep the 031. Sentimental value is a big part of why we collect watches after all!

Have you purchased the sub yet? If not, what about selling the 029 and 003, and saving for the sub (and not scrambling for money elsewhere) until buying it won't actually put you in debt? It'll take a bit more time, but it's probably the path of least regret. I'm likely going to do that too, selling all of my other watches and keeping the Snowflake until I can afford to purchase the Tank.
    Last edited by BigMoufPosy; 1 Week Ago at 20:04.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

The post reads like you have already made up your mind. Whilst I don’t think of the Sub as the type of watch that I would want for a one watch for the rest of time, it looks and sounds like what you want. If you’re already making up excuses to justify it, then you’re already on the path to doing so and want to do it.

Who cares if the 031 was bought to commemorate whatever, if it’s no longer what you want, then it’s not what you want.

I would get the Sub but also buy something to compliment it, maybe a Snowflake to keep within the GS family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ahonobaka likes this.

Option No. 2 sounds like it will make you the happiest in the long run.

Caveat: I have an A231and I do wear it in rotation.

If you sold the A031 it sounds like you would be like Gollum after he lost the ring. You could always dump the A031 and then pick one up in the future through the secondhand market, but you may be in withdrawl.

From my perspective, the A031 is a bit 'me too', however, it's still a great watch. The GS hi-beat diver also utilizes this design.

The submariner is also a very conservative design, but if that's what you want, it's what you want. You've stated you want a known factor and design.

What is it that is drawing you so hard to the submariner, other than the size? What in the design makes you have to have it?
    ahonobaka likes this.

My personal policy (so far) is buy, never sell. If I get into flipping, that never ends. I use what I bought already to discourage myself from buying more. e.g. Lately I've been eyeing Prospex LX models, but I have SRPA83 already, which I tell myself is similar enough size- and style-wise with Prospex LX that I should just enjoy SRPA83 and forget about Prospex LX... LOL

YYMV of course.
    ahonobaka likes this.

Personally I would sell the divers and keep the 003.

ahonobaka, Sarbie and Overwound like this.

Go with the 1-watch collection and live stress free!

Consolidated down from 15 or so to essentially a 1-watch collection. Now, no more time spent contemplating which watch to wear. On days when you tire of your watch, just wear... nothing.

Quite therapeutic, highly suggested.
    ♛ Rolex GMT-Master II 116710LN
    ♛ Rolex Explorer II 16570

Seller feedback

This could be my one only watch ....

Works with essentially everything I wear , it is bullet proof , great bracelet , time tested design and very well made ....

So long story short sell sell sell
    yngrshr and ahonobaka like this.

I feel you on being burnt out by how GS is coming out with so many LE. Their marketing and brand positioning are also confusing.
    I would say go with option 2.

ahonobaka likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information