Grand Seiko and the Dwindling Middle Class
Like Tree135Likes

Thread: Grand Seiko and the Dwindling Middle Class

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Grand Seiko and the Dwindling Middle Class

Historically, GS has been an incredible value proposition and an opportunity to own more than a three hander, e.g. GMT. This year's Baselworld proves that Seiko is no longer interested in many people's business with the incredible northward pricing. Personally I don't believe Seiko needs to put the full share of their progress on the backs of consumers. The watches are too thick and in my gut I just feel like that is their problem and they need to make up for this fault, just as they need to improve their bracelet clasps because there is room for improvement, not as a means of jacking prices. Introducing high end movements into other lines, Presage and Prospex, just confuses the separation that GS has taken recently. I find myself looking at Rolex in ways I never dreamed of, I don't want to pay over $7K for a watch that immediately loses significant value when it touches my wrist, not at this level of investment. I was lucky enough to start buying King Seikos the past few years and enjoy the hunt and capture of nice models.

Quote Originally Posted by Davido22 View Post
    Seiko is no longer interested in many people's business with the incredible northward pricing. Personally I don't believe Seiko needs to put the full share of their progress on the backs of consumers
    This seemed to be just a circuitous way of saying, "Buy a Rolex." What exactly do you mean in the above portion though?
    Grand Seiko SBGV223, Grand Seiko SBGV225, Grand Seiko SBGV205, Grand Seiko SBGT241, Oris Aquis, Oris Pro Pilot, Sinn LE 556i, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Samurai, G Shock GX-56bb, G Shock GW-b5600

Re: Grand Seiko and the Dwindling Middle Class

I feel the same way as you David. I was going to purchase a sbge201 but than realized half that money will be lost once I wear it. I also don't like the bracelets or their clasps. And guess what watch I ended up getting?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi nice Rolex.

That is the only model in the range that I would seek to own.

Berni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    heineken4u likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Davido22 View Post
    Historically, GS has been an incredible value proposition and an opportunity to own more than a three hander, e.g. GMT. This year's Baselworld proves that Seiko is no longer interested in many people's business with the incredible northward pricing. Personally I don't believe Seiko needs to put the full share of their progress on the backs of consumers. The watches are too thick and in my gut I just feel like that is their problem and they need to make up for this fault, just as they need to improve their bracelet clasps because there is room for improvement, not as a means of jacking prices. Introducing high end movements into other lines, Presage and Prospex, just confuses the separation that GS has taken recently. I find myself looking at Rolex in ways I never dreamed of, I don't want to pay over $7K for a watch that immediately loses significant value when it touches my wrist, not at this level of investment. I was lucky enough to start buying King Seikos the past few years and enjoy the hunt and capture of nice models.
    I know zot about Rolex, I have no idea what model is posted in this post but I do know that I was willing to put $4K into a loss leader cause I love me some Spring Drive but at twice the price it looks far less attractive.
    ahonobaka likes this.

Problem with sport Rolex models is that you can't just walk in to store and buy one. They don't have them in stock and they don't know when they will (at least that's what I was told several times). So you have to buy grey market or pre-owned. When you compare apples to apples, pre-owned or gray market GS, there's no way Rolex is better value for money, not even close.
    ahonobaka and beanerds like this.

Has GS really moved prices up that much? We are seeing some new models at a higher price range, but the core group doesn’t seem to have dramatically increased.

I’ll worry more when I see that change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    In Transit:

King Seiko - Hi Beat Chronometer 5626-7040

On Wrist:

Grand Seiko - SBGR311 LE (992/1300)
    Grand Seiko - SBGE201
    Maratac - SR-35 DLC

Nomos - Ahoi Atlantik 552

I never understood this "investment" part in buying watches. I do not invest in a dining room table, I do not invest in a laptop, I do not invest in a lawn mower. Not even a car. Why should I invest in a watch? I just keep buying them if I like them.

Quote Originally Posted by mato123 View Post
    Problem with sport Rolex models is that you can't just walk in to store and buy one. They don't have them in stock and they don't know when they will (at least that's what I was told several times). So you have to buy grey market or pre-owned. When you compare apples to apples, pre-owned or gray market GS, there's no way Rolex is better value for money, not even close.
    So what's ironic is this. I did exactly that. I got my ass up early on a Saturday morning and drove to 4 different Ads. I was looking for a Submariner but on my 4th stop I found this Explorer. It was sitting out in the display, I tried it on and the rest was history. No prior purchase at this AD either.

simonp67 likes this.

Also, buying a pre-owned Rolex is a much better "value-proposition" than a GS. Not sure why you think otherwise. But anyway, I didn't mean to high jack the thread. I just found myself agreeing with comments made by David.

zetaplus93 likes this.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information