How much 'wind' does a 72-hour Spring Drive need vs. a 72-hour standard mechanical watch?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By natliang

Thread: How much 'wind' does a 72-hour Spring Drive need vs. a 72-hour standard mechanical watch?

How much 'wind' does a 72-hour Spring Drive need vs. a 72-hour standard mechanical watch?

I am guessing it is very close (as it is doing the same thing, spinning the hands for 72-hours on either), and guessing the power needed for the regulation system is minimal. Curious if there is any more details on this.

Thanks!
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

Re: How much 'wind' does a 72-hour Spring Drive need vs. a 72-hour standard mechanical watch?

My snowflake seems to wind up quickly to 72 hrs... Seemingly faster than 72 hr Pelagos.

Re: How much 'wind' does a 72-hour Spring Drive need vs. a 72-hour standard mechanical watch?

Quote Originally Posted by canonken View Post
    I am guessing it is very close (as it is doing the same thing, spinning the hands for 72-hours on either), and guessing the power needed for the regulation system is minimal. Curious if there is any more details on this.

Thanks!
    Hmmm...
    I don’t have a 9S to compare. My 9r is about 11-12ish winds per 24hrs, so ~35 winds from empty to full. Not necessarily 1 revolution per wind, just 1 normal (to me) wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

For me it looks Spring Drive needs less, and it’s clearly visible with manual winding.

Manually winding SD watches fills it up very quickly in my experience. Maybe 15 full turns from empty to full?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Spring Drive spring seems to fill up faster than in normal automatics. Takes only 10 sec or less to wind manually, when playing tennis it takes 20 minutes per one day's worth. In normal use, even off wrist during the night, power meter stays on full.

I have a manual winding 9S with 72hrs power reserve. I wind mine daily and it takes around 15-17 turns to fill up. From empty to full, I would say it takes around 45-50 turns.
    whineboy likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by natliang View Post
    I have a manual winding 9S with 72hrs power reserve. I wind mine daily and it takes around 15-17 turns to fill up. From empty to full, I would say it takes around 45-50 turns.
    9S64 owner here with the same experience, when stopped mine takes 45-50 turns of the crown to reach full wind, and then 16-18 turns daily.
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

By the way, one reason why automatic spring drives self-wind so quickly is because the 9R65 movement employes Seiko's "Magic Lever" winding system. From the GS website discussion of the 9R65:

"The automatic winding mechanism uses Seiko's original Magic Lever mechanism developed in 1959, but with improved productivity, maintainability, and durability to enhance winding efficiency"

https://www.grand-seiko.com/us-en/ab...ringdrive/9r65
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

Thread Information