I accidentally changed date in forbidden zone!
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: I accidentally changed date in forbidden zone!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I accidentally changed date in forbidden zone!

Good morning, everyone, I have done something I thought I would never do - I changed the date within the forbidden zone. After realizing it, I manually advanced time 24 hours so it would automatically switch the date, then proceeded to set the correct time. The good news, thankfully the date has been changing normally as it would. I have SBGH201.

Here are some consequences, and I hope someone can shine the light on this: I have been monitoring my watch for the last 9 months. When worn daily and stored for the night, it gained 1.69 seconds per day. This is consistent. When stored face-up, it would actually gain time more quickly. When stored on the side, it gains time more slowly. But it would always gain time. So once every 3 months or so, I ended up manually adjusting it back by about 1 minute.

After my forbidden date change fiasco, the watch is in fairly consistent gain when worn, but now will lose time when not worn. For example, if I wear it and store is on its side as I used to - normally would still gain about a second per day - now the average will actually result in a loss of about a second. If I wear it and store it upright, then the watch will gain time of about a second a day. I actually think the current method is easier for accuracy adjustment, since when I start noticing the watch running fast, I can store it on the side and actually lose a second per day. So for the last 15 days since my fiasco, the watch remains within 3 seconds of where I started. I think the new system is much better, since storing position actually allows me to adjust time without messing with the crown! However, I am bothered that I may have caused this by my fiasco and worried about long term consequences. Maybe this was unrelated to date change - just coincidental, since I only check accuracy of watch lately maybe once a week or less. Then when I checked following my mess-up with the date, the watch actually lost 10 seconds over a week (still within limits, but it never lost time before!), so I was more mindful to check accuracy daily since then. And this is what I discovered... Any opinions of what may have happened and whether or now I should have the mechanism checked for any damage? It is still under warranty.

Re: I accidentally changed date in forbidden zone!

Quote Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
    Good morning, everyone, I have done something I thought I would never do - I changed the date within the forbidden zone. After realizing it, I manually advanced time 24 hours so it would automatically switch the date, then proceeded to set the correct time. The good news, thankfully the date has been changing normally as it would. I have SBGH201.

Here are some consequences, and I hope someone can shine the light on this: I have been monitoring my watch for the last 9 months. When worn daily and stored for the night, it gained 1.69 seconds per day. This is consistent. When stored face-up, it would actually gain time more quickly. When stored on the side, it gains time more slowly. But it would always gain time. So once every 3 months or so, I ended up manually adjusting it back by about 1 minute.

After my forbidden date change fiasco, the watch is in fairly consistent gain when worn, but now will lose time when not worn. For example, if I wear it and store is on its side as I used to - normally would still gain about a second per day - now the average will actually result in a loss of about a second. If I wear it and store it upright, then the watch will gain time of about a second a day. I actually think the current method is easier for accuracy adjustment, since when I start noticing the watch running fast, I can store it on the side and actually lose a second per day. So for the last 15 days since my fiasco, the watch remains within 3 seconds of where I started. I think the new system is much better, since storing position actually allows me to adjust time without messing with the crown! However, I am bothered that I may have caused this by my fiasco and worried about long term consequences. Maybe this was unrelated to date change - just coincidental, since I only check accuracy of watch lately maybe once a week or less. Then when I checked following my mess-up with the date, the watch actually lost 10 seconds over a week (still within limits, but it never lost time before!), so I was more mindful to check accuracy daily since then. And this is what I discovered... Any opinions of what may have happened and whether or now I should have the mechanism checked for any damage? It is still under warranty.
    Seems like you can no longer enjoy the watch, so flip it.

Seriously, all of my watches have accuracies that slowly drift over time. What was initially a +1 or +2 a day COSC watch now runs -3, 2 years later. Doesn’t stop me from enjoying the watch. Maybe yours is just drifting? It’s not quartz, after all (maybe you are more of a Spring Drive person?).

BTW, how do you measure 1.69 seconds accuracy, the video method? My reflexes are +/- .2 at best.

I’d just live with it. Read some of the posts about problems people have had with GS servicing their pieces.
    whineboy

Thank you. I still absolutely love my watch. I worry that I damaged my "baby" in some way due to a mistake. I think it may be a normal drift since I was no longer doing accuracy checks often as I did at first and the date change was coincidental to the drift. I just hope I didn't damage something internally which is affecting the watch. I actually enjoy current accuracy better since I can keep my watch almost perfectly accurate just by storing it in a certain position for minute adjustment.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

1.69 per day is an average over 100+ measurement points for my specific use. Professional device at Jeweler's measured accuracy of +1.9 seconds or so. Still well within COSC standard.

Quote Originally Posted by eugene89us View Post
    Thank you. I still absolutely love my watch. I worry that I damaged my "baby" in some way due to a mistake. I think it may be a normal drift since I was no longer doing accuracy checks often as I did at first and the date change was coincidental to the drift. I just hope I didn't damage something internally which is affecting the watch. I actually enjoy current accuracy better since I can keep my watch almost perfectly accurate just by storing it in a certain position for minute adjustment.

Live with it a bit. Over and over we hear that GS movements are rugged and sturdy. If one minor mishap like yours was catastrophic, the sturdiness claim would be rubbish.

Good luck. Keep enjoying it.
    whineboy

This forbidden zone thing does not apply to GS. Only to some relatively cheap Seiko movements. Whatever is going on with your timekeeping it has nothing to do with setting the date.

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    This forbidden zone thing does not apply to GS. Only to some relatively cheap Seiko movements. Whatever is going on with your timekeeping it has nothing to do with setting the date.
    I don’t know that this is true. The manual for my 9R65 I believe says that the date should not be changed between certain hours.

The same principles that make it wrong on a ‘cheap seiko’ (moving the date when it’s engaged by the mechanism that moves it at midnight) still applies to a more expensive movement that changes the date in the same way.

Quote Originally Posted by T1meout View Post
    Your first and second statements are not true. Your third statement likely is.

On page 18 of the 9R65 owner's manual it says:

• Do not adjust the date when the time the watch indicates is between 9 p.m. and 1 a.m. If the date is adjusted in this condition, the date may not change properly the following day, or a malfunction may occur.
    • If you set the date when the time the watch indicates is between 9:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m., pull out the crown to the second click, and turn it counterclockwise (downward) to advance the hour hand until it passes 1:00 a.m. temporarily, and then set the date.

As I understand it this prohibition is also common on Swiss mechanical movements.
    Grand Seiko SBGA373 & SBGA375, Rolex 116610LN, and lots of comparatively economical watches that "spoke to me" - mostly Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by FishingForFishies View Post
    I don’t know that this is true. The manual for my 9R65 I believe says that the date should not be changed between certain hours.

The same principles that make it wrong on a ‘cheap seiko’ (moving the date when it’s engaged by the mechanism that moves it at midnight) still applies to a more expensive movement that changes the date in the same way.
    OP’s watch, the H201 comes equipped with the most modern pure mechanical movement that GS has to offer, the 9S85. The date can be set at any time. The 9R65 movement you both are referencing is Spring Drive.
    Last edited by T1meout; 3 Weeks Ago at 01:11.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBinFL View Post
    Your first and second statements are not true. Your third statement likely is.

On page 18 of the 9R65 owner's manual it says:

• Do not adjust the date when the time the watch indicates is between 9 p.m. and 1 a.m. If the date is adjusted in this condition, the date may not change properly the following day, or a malfunction may occur.
    • If you set the date when the time the watch indicates is between 9:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m., pull out the crown to the second click, and turn it counterclockwise (downward) to advance the hour hand until it passes 1:00 a.m. temporarily, and then set the date.

As I understand it this prohibition is also common on Swiss mechanical movements.
    Hogwash. Please stop perpetuating urban legends.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information