My New Grand Seiko SBGR251
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: My New Grand Seiko SBGR251

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My New Grand Seiko SBGR251

It's here, it's sized to my wrist and it's everything I hoped it would be. I recently traded my Omega Aqua Terra 41.5 for this smaller, more subdued 37mm Grand Seiko SBGR251. Generally, I like to research watches extensively before I decide on them, toiling over specifications and embarrassingly allowing obscure Youtube comments to sway my opinion of which one to buy. But, I couldn't find much online in the way of reviews or experiences with this watch. There was no Watchbox Review or Bruce Williams hands-on. It seemed none of the normal "internet watch guys," had taken a liking to this particularly Grand Seiko. Or maybe it just never stuck out among Grand Seiko's extensive collection.

I have to say, Grand Seiko is one of those brands I've lusted after since I began collecting, yet has always left me feeling sort of lost. I knew about the gorgeous Snowflake and the innovative 9F Quartz and had researched some of the other popular models because they were put in front of my eyes by those "internet watch guys." And I was most certainly sold. But I could never pin down the exact one I wanted that fit in my price range and my wrist.

But here, with this watch, I felt I had an opportunity to get something unique. Maybe not, to the untrained eye, all that different from the myriad other choices of silver dialed, dress/sport time and date watches, but undoubtedly and assuringly distinctive in its execution. And, from the perspective of an idiot watch collector like me, it was essentially free. I was giving my Omega a new home and subsequently supplying this GS with a new one of its own. And that sort of uncomplicated, instinctive buying process defines this watch in a way. It is seemingly uncomplicated and unadorned, yet it carries with it all the complexities of other high end watches in this price range, in a way unlike the rest. Because it just exudes an intangible simplicity. And maybe that's an absurd thought to someone outside of this hobby, and sounds like I'm drafting Grand Seiko's next magazine advertisement, but to me, and I'm sure many of us, this is what we're chasing. A watch that doesn't scream anything, unless you're listening.

Here it is:

Name:  DSCF1928.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  1.48 MBName:  DSCF1950.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  1.86 MB

Re: My New Grand Seiko SBGR251

Congrats its a beauty !
    Seiko Bulova Tissot Eterna

It's the classic, understated GS automatic 3 hander.
    Great choice!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Wow!! You had a lot to say about this GS, almost as if you are marketing for them or writing an article .
    It's a nice purchase though. Congratulations
    rayrayhey likes this.

Interesting "Made in Japan WP". Used to be "Japan A". That means they switched case factory for this model.

Usually if the watch is from SII Morioka, it's usually stamped Japan A, from Epson Shiojiri it's stamped Japan J.

GS case manufacturer by default is Hayashi Seiki Seizo in Sukagawa and I'm pretty sure this is Japan A. Epson do their cases inside their Suwa factory and this is Japan J.

I haven't figured out what Japan WP is. Somebody should take a pic of the display back inner rim if they ever get a chance once removed. The inside of the case back will tell you where the case is made.

Yes the complexity is in the case, dial markers, date window, hands. The only simplicity is only in its function. This is the elegance of GS.

The mainstream Swiss brand wearer will not notice this at first glance.

Anyway enjoy your watch in good health!!!
    Last edited by krayzie; 15 Hours Ago at 20:53.
    bobs100 and jandrese like this.

Congrats. Timeless piece for a gentleman

Beautiful watch. Hope you enjoy it for many years!
    LA,CA Based
    Scuba, Photography, Travel...how I make my living

Quote Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
    Interesting "Made in Japan WP". Used to be "Japan A". That means they switched case factory for this model.

Usually if the watch is from SII Morioka, it's usually stamped Japan A, from Epson Shiojiri it's stamped Japan J.

GS case manufacturer by default is Hayashi Seiki Seizo in Koriyama and I'm pretty sure this is Japan A. Epson do their cases inside their Suwa factory and this is Japan J.

I haven't figured out what Japan WP is. Somebody should take a pic of the display back inner rim if they ever get a chance once removed. The inside of the case back will tell you where the case is made.

Yes the complexity is in the case, dial markers, date window, hands. The only simplicity is only in its function. This is the elegance of GS.

The mainstream Swiss brand wearer will not notice this at first glance.

Anyway enjoy your watch in good health!!!
    This is the caseback of my hi-beat..

Name:  DSC_0085_zps0e4898c2.JPG
Views: 28
Size:  114.2 KB

And this is of my SD...

Name:  DSC_0086-1dragged_zps1cb7060c.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  110.2 KB
    krayzie likes this.

Absolutely stunning, congrats on the purchase. It will bring you much happiness over the the years.

Beautiful watch, with a classic size and understated elegance, that will never go out of fashion. I think it's a great choice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information