New Grand Seiko GADA watch, SBGR309 VS SBGA203

Poll: Better Grand Seiko GADA watch, SBGR309 VS SBGA203

Like Tree7Likes

Thread: New Grand Seiko GADA watch, SBGR309 VS SBGA203

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just as the title thread implies. SBGR309 VS SBGA203? Which one?

I will be replacing my explorer 214270 with a GS. The SBGA cost around $400-$500 more, and some can be found around the same price pre-owned as a SBGR309 new. Leaning toward SBGR309. But i need a accurate movement, important.

SBRG309 pros:

1. Bigger at 42mm ( prefer bigger, big guy).
    2. Sportier looking?
    3. Full mechanical?
    4. Cheaper new.
    5. Accurate movement vs other mechanicals but less than spring drive.
    6. Preferred bracelet( no polish).

Cons:

1. less accurate than spring drive

SBGA203 pros.

1. More accurate movement
    2. 41mm perfect size?
    3. Just as sporty?

Cons.

None than i can think of? Not as sporty maybe?

I looked everywhere and there isn’t much info or reviews on the SBGR309. Or the SBGA 203. Hence this post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Dudeman1973; 1 Week Ago at 23:50.
    Covenant likes this.

Re: New Grand Seiko GADA watch, SBGR309 VS SBGA203

It might help to understand what your reasons are for moving away from what many consider to be the ultimate sporty GADA watch. Clearly it wasn't doing it for you, so what did it lack that you believe GS is going to have?

Regards,
    Alysandir
    • Blancpain Bathyscaphe Chronographe 5200.1110.70B
    • Bremont Boeing Model 247 Ti-GMT
    • Casio G-Shock GW2310FB-1CR
    • Casio G-Shock Frogman GWFD1000B-1
    • Grand Seiko Snowflake Gen1 SBGA011
    • Omega Globemaster 130.33.39.21.03.001
    • Omega Grey Side of the Moon 311.93.44.51.99.001
    • Oris Aquis "Source of Life" LE 01 733 7730 4125
    • Oris Aquis "Staghorn Restoration" LE 01.735.7734.4185
    • Rolex Daytona 116523-WSO/78593
    • Rolex Submariner 114060

I only like to spend around $5000 for any watch, my rolex is the only watch that exceeded my set price range. No problem since it was the best GADA at its price point for build quality. Which is important to me.

It lacks nothing. Other than i feel the GS is a better watch with better build quality. I don’t really care what it says on the dial. I like to have a small collection, a GADA, Diver and a chrono. After collecting for many years i found i only wear three watches on a regular basis since i got a Apple watch for fitness purposes.

I am not getting rid of my explorer for what it lacks, but for what the GS gives that Rolex does not for me. The build quality isn’t even close between the two in my opinion. One by mostly machine, the other by hand. Compared my explorer under a loupe to a SBGR309. Needless to say i kinda felt ripped off for spending $6000 on my Rolex, brand name not withstanding. That bothered me. Alot. That would be the main reason. I really don’t get the appeal of Rolex over a Patek, VC, JLC? Never understood it. I have compared my explorer to my brothers Patek calatrava and VC overseas. My rolex Explorer wasn’t even in the same ballpark. The GS is i looked at. The dial and case finishing, hands are on par with higher end brands, dare i say even better? My explorer is not. Its that simple. To me quality matters, more than name recognition, GS gives me better quality.

Since i like to keep a small collection, one has to go. Having a three watch collection, i want the best GADA watch i can get for build quality, accuracy, and looks. The Explorer fits two of those, the GS fits all three. For the money, GS is the best quality you can find for the price. In my opinion. For what is important to me the GS is the better choice.

I parse watches into two categories , hand made and mass produced. Rolex is high end mass produced, like Omega. GS falls closer into the latter category of hand made. I don’t really want to spend over $5000 for a mass produced watch. Hand made is another story. The GS is mostly hand made, and cheaper than $5000. My explorer is not.

I really don't want to turn this into a Rolex vs GS thread. Nothing against Rolex, just my personal opinion. No question in my mind between the two.

With that being said, the Explorer might be the best GADA on the plant for most, legendary piece. Just not for me.
    Last edited by Dudeman1973; 1 Week Ago at 09:09.
    Covenant, yokied, G07 and 1 others like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

You might as well experience a Spring Drive. The accuracy and beauty will wow you. In a frequent rotation like yours this might matter a lot.

I was thinking the same thing. But i got to see and hold the SBGR309, and it is more sport than dress, in my estimation. I see alot of posts on here saying to make sure you see the GS you want in person since they can seem different than their pictures. The SBGR309 has that GADA look going for it. No doubt. The is very little info on either watch by owners on watchuseek or anywhere for that matter. Would love for a owner to chime in or someone who owns a SBGA203.

The SBGA203 was not available at the time to see. It looks more dress in pictures than the SBGR309. Since i have a three watch rotation i need it to do double duty as a GADA. My Heuer Autavia can work but not ideal.
    Current watches:

Omega Seamaster Pro 2018
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Heuer Autavia 2017

Hi

This is a difficult one.

I have had the SBGA003 (old logo version of the 203) and currently have the Ti version of the same watch the JDM SBGA041. I also have the SBGR307, silver dial version of the 309.

I also swapped a Rolex (GMTII) for my first GS (SBGE001) and feel the same way.

I have 10 GSís and the SBGA003 probably surprised me the most because it was not love at first sight. It is a watch that really grew on me, which is why I sought out the Ti version when I learnt about it. I like Ti watches.

The dial is black, but under certain lighting a charcoal grey. And it has that SD movement which is just incredible. I agree that it is a proper GADA choice.

The SBGR307/9 is for me a little bit less of a GADA because of the lesser (but still nice) movement, which just cannot match the accuracy of the SD. Also the lack of a PR reduces its utility. I love knowing the state of wind of the watch just by looking. But there again I rotate a lot more watches.

Also for me the size of the 307 is a bit of a statement, which is nice sometimes, but not all the time. I liken this watch to a Bentley car. Stately but a bit of a brute! But as you say for you this may not me an issue.

So in my opinion, for what you want and what you are coming from I would get the SBGA003. And make sure you haggle for a good discount.

As an aside, the black Explorer I is the only Rolex I would ever consider wearing.

Best of luck, you will be happy with either I am sure.

This is my SBGA003 in the office.

Berni
    Last edited by berni29; 1 Week Ago at 00:43.
    Covenant likes this.

Thank you berni29!

I assume you are talking about getting the SBGA203 and not the 003? Also what is dressier between the two? I feel the SBGA203 would be from the looks of it and the size. I was more leaning to the SBGR309 because of the look and the size. Smaller watches do not look good on me as i am thick, with a bodybuilder type build.

For me a GADA is the look and feel of the watch, that can do dress, casual, etc.

So you feel the SBGA passes as a GADA?

Titanium watches i really do not like, i like the weight of steel. Never had a watch with a PR so i cannot comment on that. But i will take your word for it.

Wish they made the spring drive in the SBGR 309 case. Accuracy is important, but its not as if the 9S68 isn’t accurate. What is the accuracy of your SBGR307?
    Last edited by Dudeman1973; 1 Week Ago at 03:06.
    Current watches:

Omega Seamaster Pro 2018
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Heuer Autavia 2017

Hello there

Yes, the SBGA203.

OK I see what you mean about the watch size! In that case I think you would be happier with the SBGR309.

I canít remember exactly how accurate my 307 is, but itís like +2 seconds a day or something. Itís as good as my high beat. But with the SDís we are usually talking fractions of a second.

Now I know more about you I really do think the the 309 is going to suit you really well. A perfect fit from the sounds of it in fact.

All the best and train well!

By the way, I am into Chinese internal martial arts, almost the polar opposite of bodybuilding in some respects.

Berni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your input and reply bernie29! It is much appreciated.

Yeah, nothing beats a spring drive. But if the 9S68 can match my explorer and sea-master of 2 sec a day, which you indicate likely can, i will be happy.

My bodybuilder days are over, mainly power-lift now to keep in shape. After you hit 45 it is hard to keep up with younger guys. Lol

Thank you once again!
    Current watches:

Omega Seamaster Pro 2018
    Rolex Explorer 214270
    Heuer Autavia 2017

Having tried both the automatic and the Spring Drive, I canít help but feel that SD is the child that Seiko likes more. It feels more thought-out and all the exciting limited editions and novel dials come to SD first. Plus the power reserve is nice, I know it is a polarizing design choice but you got to admit it looks flawless under a 10X loupe.

The automatic will hit +2-3s a day brand new, Spring Drive is +1s or less a day, both have flawless accuracy. The movements feel a bit different though, in SD there is less moving parts to see and the complete silence may be a bit strange at first. Also, SD is thinner by a millimeter or so. Sits better on the wrist. Either way, itís hard to go wrong!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information