SBGV Quartz - For 6.5 wrist and many other wonderful questions
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: SBGV Quartz - For 6.5 wrist and many other wonderful questions

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

SBGV Quartz - For 6.5 wrist and many other wonderful questions

245 or 247 model

Thinking of buying one of these, perhaps the grey or LE.

Is the grey still in production and if not do you think it will come back with the new movement (hopefully dateless!)

I want to try it on! do dealers still have these or any watch meet ups in SC/ NC were someone might let me try on?
    Or another models similar I can try to get a feel of its size

Its a lot of $$$ to buy unseen and actually the thickness is also a concern, as in is it to thin ! I think its 11 but some reports say 12

comparions to the Aqua Terra it 13.6, Marathon GSAR at 14 and Lorier neptune is 15.3 (with glass, wears smaller)

Anyway looks an amazing watch and Im moving my thoughts more towards quartz and i feel something for GS, always have, but this case shape is the first that appeals to me?

And whats the size like on wrist?

ive got that pre-buy buzz!!!

Re: SBGV Quartz - For 6.5 wrist and many other wonderful questions

Hi, I own a 245. It is still in production and their is no reason that will change (unless they update the movement). It's not a LE and the model is pretty recent (2018 from memory).
    The 247 as it is an LE it might be harder to get.
    Concerning the size it's a 40mm diameter but the lug to lug is at about 46mm which is pretty short. Also the bezel is pretty large and the dial diameter is not so big. I have a smaller wrist than yours, the watch can feel a little big on picture but on real life it's not. Alot of my watch nerd friends, when they saw the watch on me they thought it was 38mm and fit me great. Other 40mm GS (dressier models) feel awkward on my wrist in comparison.
    Hope it hepls.
    britabroad likes this.

If you have a 2nd generation Omega Aqua Terra, the SBGV245 will work for you. i found it a bit thicker then the first Grand Seiko I owned (the SBGX261) but is slightly less thicker then my Grand Seiko SBGN009.

According to the Grand seiko website the SBGV243/245 is Diameter 40mm × Thickness 11.8mm

By contrast my SBGN009 is Diameter 40mm × Thickness 12.2mm

(As Grand Seiko created the watch, I would trust the measurements listed there as being the correct ones)

As I can wear my SBGN009 under a long sleeve shirt without any issue, the 243/245 should fit well under the sleeve.

The shorter lugs make the SBGV243/245 wear well on most wrists

If you have a Omega AT then this watch will work well for you. This is one of the next GS models to get

Like the AT the crown is screw down

I do think this model will be soon to be discontinued but brought back under a different model number as I suspect the 9F82 movement watches are getting purged and replaced with the 9F85 movement versions.
    britabroad likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Cedyan View Post
    Hi, I own a 245. It is still in production and their is no reason that will change (unless they update the movement). It's not a LE and the model is pretty recent (2018 from memory).
    The 247 as it is an LE it might be harder to get.

Concerning the size it's a 40mm diameter but the lug to lug is at about 46mm which is pretty short. Also the bezel is pretty large and the dial diameter is not so big. I have a smaller wrist than yours, the watch can feel a little big on picture but on real life it's not. Alot of my watch nerd friends, when they saw the watch on me they thought it was 38mm and fit me great. Other 40mm GS (dressier models) feel awkward on my wrist in comparison.
    Hope it hepls.
    According to my dealer, all three models in this series have been discontinued, though there are sure to be some still available.

The expectation is that their will be some replacements with the new movement (in addition to the blue ceramic bezel 60th version), but nothing has been revealed yet.
    britabroad likes this.
    Ming 17.06 Copper
    Nomos Ahoi Bucherer Edition
    Oak & Oscar Ashland
    Oak & Oscar Jackson
    Panerai 535
    Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39 White
    Seiko SNE535

I don't know about US market but here, in Japan, when a model is discontinued, it is immediatly removed from the GS official website and official GS boutique. It happened recently with the SBGX253 and SBGX255 or the SBGX009 for example (you still can buy those new online and maybe at some dealer but not in GS boutique or big chain AD like Yodobashi Camera). But the SBGV243 and 245 are still listed on the website and still are on sale everywhere in official boutique (at least here). Maybe it will be soon replace with models with the new 9f inside soon, but at that time it's just speculation.
    britabroad likes this.

245 should fit you fine. Great watch.
    britabroad likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Would you say a GS quartz at that price range is better than an automatic watch at the same price?

Keep in mind that if you're concerned about the thickness of the watch, the 9F82 equipped SBGV207 is 10.4mm thick, and the 9F85 equipped SBGP003 is 11.1mm thick, so it seems like the upgraded movement resulted in an increase in thickness of 0.7mm.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Quote Originally Posted by jordan05 View Post
    Would you say a GS quartz at that price range is better than an automatic watch at the same price?
    The automatics are at least 13.3mm thick. It's clear that GS charges a premium for an automatic movement over a quartz movement, so at the same price as their quartz counterparts, they have either a simpler case or bracelet. Look at the case shape and bracelet of the quartz offerings to see how their price increases as a function of complexity. That will help you make a more informed comparison when you're looking at the automatics.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay, Black Bay GMT.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Coach Fulton; Halios Seaforth Bronze; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Ming 17.06; Nomos Tangente 35; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P; Silver Archetype One; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Ive not seen the gray dial in person, what are your impressions is it flat and grey(boring) or is their some GS magic going on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information