SBGX295 Second Hand Alignment?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: SBGX295 Second Hand Alignment?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Greetings all, first post for me.

I just purchased my first Grand Seiko - a SBGX295 Quartz. Absolutely beautiful, but I would like to ask those of you with experience with Grand Seiko how concerned I should be over a slight misalignment of the second hand. I know this is a point of pride for Grand Seiko on their quartz movements, but I also don't know how "perfect" I should expect this to play out in reality.

The second hand on my SBGX295 lines up perfectly on only some of the markers - approximately the markers between 5 and 20. But on the rest of the dial it is slightly off - on some let's say the second hand "touches" the minute marker, but is not perfectly centered on it. For any other quartz I'd be pleased, but given the nature of GS's pride in having the second hand dead-on, I was surprised to see less than perfect alignment. On the 12, 9 and 6 markers (which are large and prominent) it's fairly easy to tell the hand is not perfectly centered on the marker.

Now, fully admitting I'm OCD, I have no prior experience with a Grand Seiko quartz, so I just don't know if this is common, or a rare example of one that slipped through the quality control process. As the hand aligns on some markers and not others, I'm not sure how it would be corrected, as I suspect it would be the dial that was off, not the hand movement - but that's just speculation on my part.

I should also mention that I am an American living/working in Saudi Arabia, so service here is not an option, and sending the watch to Japan to be looked at is not something I look forward to, and would be costly.

OCD notwithstanding, it's something I can live with so long as I feel this is within the normal spec. However, if it's an outlier, and I feel like I didn't get a good example, then I do want to have it remedied.

Thanks for your insight.

DeWayne

Re: SBGX295 Second Hand Alignment?

Hi

This has been debated a lot on here and there is at least one quite lengthy thread as I remember. Itís not uncommon for the secondhand not to hit every marker. It actually moves twice a second, and if you use the slow motion in your phone camera you can very clearly see that.

With mine depending on my blinking and the lighting, it can seem better or worse. Electric lights flicker also.

If itís slight (like mine) I would not worry about it. Actually I would be surprised if you continue to even notice it after you have worn the watch for a while.

All the best

Berni

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    bobs100 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by berni29 View Post
    Hi

This has been debated a lot on here and there is at least one quite lengthy thread as I remember. Itís not uncommon for the secondhand not to hit every marker. It actually moves twice a second, and if you use the slow motion in your phone camera you can very clearly see that.

With mine depending on my blinking and the lighting, it can seem better or worse. Electric lights flicker also.

If itís slight (like mine) I would not worry about it. Actually I would be surprised if you continue to even notice it after you have worn the watch for a while.

All the best

Berni

What you wrote totally did not answer his question.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't own a GS 9F and so I can't be very useful, but here's one of the prior threads where it was discussed: link.
    Grand Seiko SBGA375, Rolex 116610LN, and lots of comparatively economical watches that "spoke to me" - mostly Seiko.

Hi

In some ways it did because he asked how concerned he should be and I provided information that it is common and that the hand moves in two stages.

So to say I absolutely did not answer his question is somewhat unfair.

So I will answer it fully for your benefit.

ďNot veryĒ

Thread closed I guess!

bobs100 likes this.

Hi

In some ways it did because he asked how concerned he should be and I provided information that it is common and that the hand moves in two stages.

So to say I absolutely did not answer his question is somewhat unfair.

So I will answer it fully for your benefit.

ďNot veryĒ

Thread closed I guess!

Nope.

He asked if itís normal for the seconds hand to not land straight on the markers each second.

Youíre saying that it subtly moves in two steps per second (which is correct).

You answered a question that he didnít ask. The fact that it has a nearly-invisible double-step is unrelated to how the hand was aligned when it was mounted to its post.

What I am saying is that it is hard to tell and can vary depending on lighting.

I did suggest slow motion video, which is what I provided in the other thread.

Itís a common phenomena. And if it varies as the hand travels round the dial maybe it is not just how the hand was aligned at the factory. What about the dial and whole movement relative to the case?

I own 4 9f’s and on one the alignment is very slightly off (bought it used sight unseen). On the other hand, I have tried on dozens of 9f’s at various AD’s and I cannot say that I have ever noticed any alignment issues. This is all anecdotal, so make of it what you will.

In my case, my second hand was only slightly off and I didn’t even really notice it, someone else did. Needless to say, I’m not that bothered by it, but I understand how it could really bother some people, especially considering the price. Before getting to worked up and sending it to Japan you might want to think about a few things.
    First, I’ve generally found that what a WIS finds acceptable in terms of second hand alignment and what GS finds acceptable to differ greatly.
    Second, maybe read up on some of the GS horror stories about their service centers before deciding whether this is something you can live with or not.
    Last edited by Mr.Jones82; 1 Week Ago at 16:15.
    BarracksSi and ryuhell like this.
    Grand Seiko: SBGV223, SBGV225, SBGV205, SBGT241
    Oris: Aquis, Pro Pilot
    Sinn: LE 556i
    Longines: Conquest V.H.P.
    Seiko: Blue Coral Monster
    Casio Oceanus : OCW-s100
    G Shock: GMW-b5000, GX-56bb, GW-b5600

What I am saying is that it is hard to tell and can vary depending on lighting.

I did suggest slow motion video, which is what I provided in the other thread.

Itís a common phenomena. And if it varies as the hand travels round the dial maybe it is not just how the hand was aligned at the factory. What about the dial and whole movement relative to the case?

Guys, just as an example, here's the best image I could get of how the second hand is off at the 12 o'clock position.

Name:  IMG_4546.JPG
Views: 51
Size:  2.04 MB
    bobs100 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information