Ultimate grand seiko to own
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Ultimate grand seiko to own

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ultimate grand seiko to own

Hi guys, i have become very interested in GS these days. well i have heard many good things about GS lately though to be frank, i still have to learn more about gs to fully appreciate those good things like great finishing etc.

anyway, one thing that piss me off about GS is that they have TONS of model no. its mind boggling really. i still dont understand how collectors even keep up with it. not to mention that their styling is highly similar with sword hands. unbelievable.

So i did quite a bit of studying, and few models interest me. first one is SBGR101 which is automatic no date , black dial but 42mm. its so clean and i have tried it before. it wears just nice on my 6.5 inches wrist. and the 2nd one is SBGW231 which is manual wind, 37.2mm white dial.

If i may ask, among many models from GS, is there one iconic model that the brand has? like pam = pam372, rolex= submariner, omega- speedy. i mean if i wanna get 1 GS for my collection, what model you recommend? i want the most iconic one.

and between sbgr101 vs sbgw231 = which one you guys think is better? are they timeless classic?

sorry guys for too many questions. i really wanna learn more about GS.

Re: Ultimate grand seiko to own

SBGA211 Snowflake is the iconic GS.

whineboy

All mechanical, all the time
    whineboy
    All mechanical, all the time

My personal fav is the SBGM235. The snowflake is the most liked or known tho.
    My collection changes so often I got tired of redoing my signature

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Snowflake. SBGA011/ SBGA211.
    Alysandir likes this.

Or SBGJ203G (the one pictured in the header of this sub).

It is a pleasure to own and wear!

Snowflake is a very well recognized GS.
    The other way is to look for models from historical collection that are tribute to classic vintage Grand Seikos. Interesting are 44GS line watches, strictly following Taro Tanaka's Grammar of Design - you will find either quartz, low-beat, hi-beat or spring drive movements among them.
    There are 62GS models, either modern versions of classic 6245-9000 - the very first automatic GS, or 62GS design-based hi-beat or spring drives with the recent addition of The Four Season collection.
    And there is also Grand Seiko First....

I could suggest a SBGA373 as the compilation of the most iconic GS features - 44GS case, dauphine polished/brushed non-lumed hands and indexes, champagne dial and, from the modern side of view - Spring Drive movement.
    bobs100 likes this.

Sbgj201

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LRS
    I would agree that SBGA373/375 represent the greatest combination of iconic features in one watch. Although, it would be ultimate for me if it was smaller at 38mm but to each their own.
    bobs100 likes this.

The icon is without doubt the Snowflake, spring drive movement.

However GS seems to consider the hi-beat GMT movement as their pinnacle of traditional mechanical timepiece. There the finest standards would be sbgj201 or 203. But SBGJ231 would probably be a more impressive rarity to add to a collection.

Oh and between sbgr101 vs sbgw231, sbgw231 would definitely be the more timeless way to go in my opinion.
    Last edited by bluedialer; 1 Week Ago at 23:57.

I agree the Snowflake has to be the most popular but as such you see it a lot. My favorite by far is the Peacock. Limited but just beautiful.

These certainly for purists. However I happen to be a realist and don't worship ancient technology and as a result my favorites by far at the SBGN003 and 005, followed closely by the SBGN 007. I no longer need Time.is to set my Rolexes weekly. I use my SBGN 007 or my 005. The 005 is off by less than a second a month and the 007 I have never caught off by even part of a second in the 3 months I have owned it. My Rolexes have to be set weekly as they are about + or - 30 seconds in that week. And to me that is a shame. If you are going to build a watch to keep time it should keep accurate time not just maybe close time. So beauty and style are important but of secondary importance to accuracy. So if you can't stomach a HAQ at least get the Snowflake which is a spring drive and combines the best of both worlds. By the way there is a snowflake BNIB at an incredible price in the classifieds. Also the golden snowflake. Both with May dated warranty cards. Can't remember whether it is here on in the "other" forum.
    MFHo likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information