What exactly is zaratsu polishing
Like Tree52Likes

Thread: What exactly is zaratsu polishing

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

What exactly is zaratsu polishing

I keep seeing the term. I definitely see the results. Is there some place where I can read more about it. So far all I have found is, not sure which is true or not

-it was a technique used to polish swords
    -only two people who make grand seikos are allowed to do this technique (seems false)

Other than that I can't seem to find much else.

Re: What exactly is zaratsu polishing

Well it's a closely guarded secret, only divulged to the initiated. I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
    Last edited by T1meout; April 28th, 2017 at 01:16.

First rule of Zaratsu polishing is you don't talk about Zaratsu polishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Instagram: ten13th
    My watch collection: A mixture of metal, plastic, leather, glass, a few drops of lubricant and a few batteries.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ten13th View Post
    First rule of Zaratsu polishing is you don't talk about Zaratsu polishing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Damn it...I have cookies to trade for secrets.
    ljb187, Laso1 and Bill Adler like this.

I understand that a tin plate is used for polishing. Something about taking the distortion out. Too high a heat via rpm or grit can leave a wavy finish.

Here is a short explanation I came across:"Every surface of each case and bracelet is polished by the experienced craftsmen. The mirror finish on the case side surface has no distortion. The process is known as Zaratsu or blade polishing and is made by carefully applying a rotating tin plate against the case at a very precise angle. This process is entrusted to only the most skillful and experienced craftsmen."

basically, it's tin polishing for the case. The same procedure (polishing steel on tin plates with ultra fine diamond paste) is done by brands like Glashutte Original for their swan necks and other brands for steel components to attain what is known as black polishing, where the surface is so highly polished it looks black from certain angles.
    Last edited by Boomerdw; April 28th, 2017 at 02:31.
    trueairspeed, Laso1 and ffritz like this.

It is basically watch case / bracelet polishing.

"Zaratsu" is a marketing name used by Seiko. Like how Apple chooses to call their displays "Retina" displays or how Rolex calls their lume "Chromalight".
    trueairspeed and vitruvius like this.

lol doesn't matter what you call it, at the end of the day its still polishing and not rocket science. At the end of the day Grand Seikos just like other Japanese products are all very well made.
    instagram @vintage_collectionneur

Quote Originally Posted by Boomerdw View Post
    I understand that a tin plate is used for polishing. Something about taking the distortion out. Too high a heat via rpm or grit can leave a wavy finish.

Here is a short explanation I came across:"Every surface of each case and bracelet is polished by the experienced craftsmen. The mirror finish on the case side surface has no distortion. The process is known as Zaratsu or blade polishing and is made by carefully applying a rotating tin plate against the case at a very precise angle. This process is entrusted to only the most skillful and experienced craftsmen."

basically, it's tin polishing for the case. The same procedure (polishing steel on tin plates with ultra fine diamond paste) is done by brands like Glashutte Original for their swan necks and other brands for steel components to attain what is known as black polishing, where the surface is so highly polished it looks black from certain angles.
    So the main point is to get a mirror finish shine with no distortion. That is what I wanted to know. Thanks

The GS polishing is beautiful, excellent. But, I never really understood this "no distortion" business. Any polished surface, no matter how flawlessly done, where the surface has any curvature (as on most surfaces on a watch case) is going to present a distorted reflection. And then the polish on the sides of the snowflake case has that very fine "orange peel" dimpled texture... I think it's nice and all personally, but isn't that distortion?
    SJACKAL, vitruvius and mleok like this.

Don't you know..its the bosses teenage son in the back room..does all of that..Zaratsu stuff..he get $4.75 per hr...lol...
    Last edited by EDL77; April 28th, 2017 at 23:10.
    Laso1 likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information