Worn & Wound
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Worn & Wound

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Worn & Wound

W&W just posted this article on Grand Seiko high beat movements.

https://wornandwound.com/a-look-insi...ical-movement/

I find it disappointing that there is no mention of Seiko’s long history of making 36,000 vph movements. Starting with the Lord Marvel 5740C IIRC. Mine has a 48 hour PR without using MEMS or Spron. And it’s 50 years young.

GreenHex, T1meout, Eray and 1 others like this.
    whineboy

Re: Worn & Wound

All hail Lord Marvel.

Mine:
    Name:  Lord Marvel 36000 - 768.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  57.7 KB
    GreenHex, whineboy and bobs100 like this.
    Grand Seiko SBGA373 & SBGA375, Rolex 116610LN, and lots of comparatively economical watches that "spoke to me" - mostly Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by whineboy View Post
    I find it disappointing that there is no mention of Seiko’s long history of making 36,000 vph movements. Starting with the Lord Marvel 5740C IIRC. Mine has a 48 hour PR without using MEMS or Spron. And it’s 50 years young.
    Regarding age, mine is serial 68xxxx which means it would be August of 1966 or August of 1976 (no way to tell by just the serial number). I saw an online source that said for the Lord Marvels prior to 1970/71 Seiko used "Waterproof" on the back, and then after 1970/71 changed to "Water Resistant". My case back says "Water Resistant" so I assume mine is August of 1976, meaning mine would turn 44 in August this year.

I also wonder about the crowns. More of the LMs I see pictures of have crowns like yours versus mine, but I have seen some pics with crowns similar to mine. My LM was literally flawless and looked like it had never been worn so I can't imagine why the crown would have been replaced, but who the heck knows over all that time.

That's the nice thing about the gold colored ones, you don't have to worry about them having been polished to death. That said, yours looks like a silver one and your corners are nice and crisp and sharp so it probably has lived a protected life as well. I had been looking for a silver one at one point but wasn't seeing any that were perfect. I ended up buying my 1954 Omega Seamaster 284 instead. The Omega is dull and drab compared to the Lord Marvel and I regret (a little bit) spending the money on it instead of waiting for a perfect silver LM to come along.

I have hoarded several spare parts for my LM 36000. I have a couple new-in-package crystals (which seems important since they are acrylic), a brand new balance and hairspring, a new mainspring and barrel, and some other odds and ends. Hopefully I'll never need them but I know the more years that go by the harder they are to find.

Name:  1958 Omega Seamaster 2810-3 284 2.png
Views: 74
Size:  618.3 KB
    whineboy likes this.
    Grand Seiko SBGA373 & SBGA375, Rolex 116610LN, and lots of comparatively economical watches that "spoke to me" - mostly Seiko.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBinFL View Post
    All hail Lord Marvel.

Mine:
    I really like your LM's dial, it's a sunburst, right? Very special, I'm jealous .
    Mine was redialed, not all that well, but it runs well and makes me happy.
    Edit - just saw your second post - mine is a "waterproof", s/n 071646, so I date it as July 1970.
    Your crown differs from mine, I've seen many with the large style of mine (it's a stiff winder so the additional torque arm of the larger crown helps), but I recall seeing some like yours as well.
    Very impressed you are hoarding parts!
    Last edited by whineboy; 1 Week Ago at 02:23.
    whineboy

Lots of love for the Lord Marvel. Mine is a silver sunburst mode in steel. No pics handy at the moment, other than the one from the original listing from HCV.

whineboy and Eray like this.

I really like your LM's dial, it's a sunburst, right? Very special, I'm jealous .
    Mine was redialed, not all that well, but it runs well and makes me happy.
    Yes, silver sunburst dial. Do you know what dial yours had before the redial? I wonder if it was a linen dial originally?

Edit - just saw your second post - mine is a "waterproof", s/n 071646, so I date it as July 1970.
    I would agree with your conclusion. So its 50 year birthday is coming up soon. Congrats!

Your crown differs from mine, I've seen many with the large style of mine (it's a stiff winder so the additional torque arm of the larger crown helps), but I recall seeing some like yours as well.
    I definitely think the watch would be easier to wind with your crown.

Very impressed you are hoarding parts!
    Parts I've accumulated so far:

446570 - Bearing plate for sweep second wheel
    205430 - Complete barrel with arbor and jewel
    213430 - Barrel arbor
    310702 - Balance wheel with hairspring
    310W04AN - Crystal (have 2)
    383700 - Setting lever
    384570 - Yoke (clutch lever)
    401431 - Mainspring (self greasing)
    83109461 - Case ring

Some of these parts were in a set of parts I bought and aren't things I specifically sought out. The crystals, mainspring, barrel, barrel arbor, balance, and hairspring are the things that I felt were the most important to have spares of.

I had a chance at getting 1 or 2 more balances with hairsprings but they were about $60 each and I figure I may never need the one I have and if I do ever need it the thing will almost surely outlast me at this point.

It's neat that all the little metal parts are in these sealed blister packs and are perfectly brand new despite being pretty darn old.
    whineboy likes this.

The article is decent in terms of a "big picture" look at GS, but they did leave out quite a few important details and history bits that would have made it a much better read, IMHO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBinFL View Post
    Yes, silver sunburst dial. Do you know what dial yours had before the redial? I wonder if it was a linen dial originally?
    No idea what mine was originally, it came redialed.

Very interesting that you are accumulating parts. Do you plan to do the work yourself - if so, I'm awed by your steady hands?

Also

Quote Originally Posted by Nokie View Post
    The article is decent in terms of a "big picture" look at GS, but they did leave out quite a few important details and history bits that would have made it a much better read, IMHO.
    I agree - the history of Seiko's 36,000 vph movements is a great story, omitting it makes it seem as if GS developed the high beat, when it was Seiko.
    whineboy

Very interesting that you are accumulating parts. Do you plan to do the work yourself - if so, I'm awed by your steady hands?
    Perhaps. I enrolled in an online basic watch repair course. I have acquired the various tools and a NOS Swiss Unitas 6498 movement (the movement used in the course). I still need to set up a dedicated workspace and then I can begin. Granted the 6498 is a good bit bigger than the 5740C, but I don't know how much that really matters. Not too long ago I was speaking with a watchmaker and commented that working on vintage ladies mechanical watches must be hard because the movements are so tiny. He responded "nah, you just make 'em bigger" tapping a loupe as he said so.

Seems like it will be a fun challenge. Whether or not it would give me the confidence to take apart my LM 36000 without a service guide (to indicate all the lubrication points, etc.) is another matter. If I felt very confident after the course then I'd probably tackle one of my junker 7S26 watches that I bought specifically for that purpose. At least with the 7S26 there are tons of online teardown and reassembly guides, and I also have the Seiko tech manual for the movement. Among other things the tech manual tells every point that should be lubricated, what lubricant should be used on each point, and how much.

My LM 36000 runs very well at the moment. Regardless of what I may or may not learn about movement servicing I suspect if it ever needed service I'd send it to a pro that specialized in vintage movements. I wonder if Seiko would service it? I know they normally wouldn't want to work on a 5740C as they don't have parts, but if I sent the parts along with it maybe they'd do it. This reminds me, I still don't have a spare pallet fork yet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    whineboy and bobs100 like this.

Oooh Oooh Can I play?

Here is one of my Lord marvel Watches. It was made in Feb 1967 and uses the original Seahorse case back which wore down if you looked at it too hard

I love the arabic numbers and wish Grand Seiko offered more watches with them on the dial.

As for Grand Seiko leaving things out, they pretend that they never offered the 8J movement that had an independent hour hand and claim the 9F8X movement is the first GS movement to have this.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by journeyforce; 1 Week Ago at 04:52.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information