BALTIC Aquascaphe - Loves and Hates - Pictures
Like Tree76Likes

Thread: BALTIC Aquascaphe - Loves and Hates - Pictures

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

BALTIC Aquascaphe - Loves and Hates - Pictures

Welcome to my thoughts/opinions on the BALTIC Aquascaphe. This is the Black/Cream version.

I am not going to go over all the details of the watch as I think that they have been covered pretty
    well by videos and other excellent writes ups. I am just going to give you my personal likes and dislikes.

I don't wear any of my watches on steel bracelets.....too heavy for me. Having said that the supplied
    steel bracelet is well designed and the incorporated spring bars is a fantastic idea. The first time I have
    manged to take a steel off in seconds without cursing the whole operation. Also replacing is just as easy.
    As I said I don't usually wear steel, but this is about as close as I have got to actually wanting to, as it is
    reasonably comfortable and good looking.

1. The size, 38mm (39mm with the bezel) is probably the sweet spot for me for a diver. I don't usually
    wear large watches and this looks right to me for a diver.

2. The detail on the crown design is great, the way that they have beveled the inside so that it allows
    the crown to be large and yet does not obstruct the rotation of the bezel. Other brands tend to have
    either the crown spaced away from the case when pushed/screwed in or, as in the case of my
    Captain Cook - too small and obstructed by the bezel to be able to manually wind it.

3. Textured black dial. I really like this as it helps to cut down on internal reflections and increases
    legibility. The amount of text at the top and bottom is just about perfect. Fills the space without being
    too wordy.

4. I have a large vintage collection of watches and I actually like the faux patina on my new pieces.
    I appreciate others may not. I think the BALTIC is done right. But they also have offered the Black/White
    for people who don't go for it. So that's good.

5. Everything on the case looks good to me. I have read some reports on other threads that some people
    have had issues with scratches and poor finishing on he lugs. I did not see anything adverse on my sample
    and cannot fault the workmanship. I like the brushed case as it helps to hide the day to day wear that will
    mar a highly polished surface.

6. The domed crystal is beautiful. Adds just the right amount of class. And being sapphire it will
    keep its looks.

7. Timekeeping 10/secs day - about average for a new timepiece. I am used to 30-60 seconds on my
    vintage pieces, so this is good.

8. Its thinner than most modern automatic dive watches due to the Myota movement.

9. Drilled lug holes. Adds a vintage vibe and makes changing straps less of a chore. Every watch
    should have them!

10. The bezel is nice and thin. The reason I have so many divers is to use the bezel as a daily timing function,
    but I don't like it in "your face" all the time. The click action is nice and smooth much better than the Steinhart
    that I always struggle with -I am not that weedy - but it is difficult with one hand on a leather strap.

Dislikes

1. The price just feels too high for a micro-brand . Overall the watch is well designed , but at the end
    of the day it is still a collection of ready made off the shelf parts. I dont see what Baltic have added to
    justify the higher price compared to many other micro-brands. Some pricier startups have better
    engineered the cases and done much more work on the movements to justify their prices. So I dont know.

2. The dial- in my opinion, should have slightly larger markers - it seems to have just a little too much
    empty space and makes the watch look bigger. I am not saying make it busier but I like the balance of
    the 39mm Steinhart and the smaller Captain Cook to be more pleasing. As they are, they seem to belong
    on a smaller dialed watch.

3. I am not familiar with the Myota movement as this is the first one I had. The rotar is pretty noisy.
    The odd thing is that the movement itself is fairly quiet.

4. My last gripe concerns not the watch, but the communications with the company itself. My experience
    was pretty poor in getting further details on the product in particular the ordering of the out of stock items.
    They did not reply in a timely manner and when I sent in reminders, were curt with the replies. I appreciate
    that Micro brands are thinly staffed but surely it is the personal contact that connects us to the brand?

Summery: Despite a few niggles.....lets face it there is no such thing as the "perfect" watch.........I have not
    come across it yet. Even the good ones have something or the other that you could gripe about. Overall I really
    like the BALTIC. I buy my watches to wear them......not abuse them.....and not to admire them in a watch case.
    They need to look good on the wrist, be comfortable to wear and above all be able to tell the time, by that I mean
    legibility. You should be able to look at it in any type of lighting and read the time. This may be stating the bleeding
    obvious, but many watches don't. I am not 100% certain if this is a "keeper" but, for now its still on my wrist.

Hope this helps someone. More Eye candy............

I have noticed that some of my images from some of my other threads have been used in other peoples sales listings etc.
    Just a polite request - at least give credit where they came from if you use them. Thank you.
    Last edited by nurpur; September 1st, 2019 at 18:27.

Re: BALTIC Aquascaphe - Loves and Hates - Pictures

Nice review. I like the clean, simple design and dial.

Nice looking watch.
    nurpur and Zzyzx like this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Excellent review. And, thanks for your frank overview on your likes and dislikes of the Baltic Aquascaphe.

As for the price, it is my understanding the watches are assembled in France and the quality assurance at Baltic is pretty through which could contribute to the higher cost and price for their watches.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Hager626 View Post
    Excellent review. And, thanks for your frank overview on your likes and dislikes of the Baltic Aquascaphe.

As for the price, it is my understanding the watches are assembled in France and the quality assurance at Baltic is pretty through which could contribute to the higher cost and price for their watches.
    The reason I was questioning the value aspect was that BALTIC are a little vague on their website about what they
    actually do to add value to the product. This is what they say:

We truly think that today we need to act locally. This is why our watches are assembled by hand
    in France, near Besançon, by professional and experienced watchmakers.
    They will use their expertise to assemble, adjust and test every BALTIC mechanical watch.

Obviously there is a percentage of the costs to cover the design of the case and dial. But I assume it is
    milled and printed out in the far east and then assembled with the movement in France. The company
    do not go to any lengths in explaining what kind of work they do to the movement other then basic regulation.

I appreciate that my questioning is kind of back to front.......ie. I already paid out to get the watch. Which I am
    happy with. So what the heck am I moaning about?! I dont know, maybe a certificate to say that it had been hand
    brushed by woodland elves and adjusted to 10 positions.............hold up that's already been done by Ginault!
    Some reassurance that whatever has been done will stay done and that after 5/10 years of use it will still hold time
    and not fall apart. Maybe that is the vibe that I am not getting at this time - its longevity.
    NC_Hager626 and Zzyzx like this.

You know, the text portion of your review was certainly mixed yet from the photographic half of your content I've walked away from it wanting a Baltic Aquascaphe more than ever, because those photos you've taken of the watch are absolutely gorgeous. Baltic watches just photograph incredibly well. I honestly think that explains the demand for the piece, why it's always sold out, why they can get away with somewhat overcharging for the quality of movement/construction compared to other brands: they nailed a design that is stunning in photographs, and so people want them.
    nurpur, Zzyzx and akierstein like this.

Quote Originally Posted by eudaimonean View Post
    You know, the text portion of your review was certainly mixed yet from the photographic half of your content I've walked away from it wanting a Baltic Aquascaphe more than ever, because those photos you've taken of the watch are absolutely gorgeous. Baltic watches just photograph incredibly well. I honestly think that explains the demand for the piece, why it's always sold out, why they can get away with somewhat overcharging for the quality of movement/construction compared to other brands: they nailed a design that is stunning in photographs, and so people want them.
    Yes, I agree it is photogenic. Having a pretty face takes you a long way, just hoping that a long term "relationship" develops as well.
    Time will tell.........
    Zzyzx likes this.

Great photos... I am still debating between this and Lorier Neptune. When I emailed Baltic to ask about their restock plan and any potential updates, and they said (09/04/19):

"There will be no change on the watch, until now we only have positive feedback on our watches."

I guess no one really complained about anything to their CS.

Great looking piece overall, and like you said I'm just not sure about its price...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    Current 7-watch:
    Hamilton (Medford), Nomos (Tangente 139), Archimede (Outdoor Pro7ect), Oris (BCPD HB-RAG), Seiko (SKX015 & SRP307), Casio ('Royale')

Quote Originally Posted by uperhemi View Post
    Great photos... I am still debating between this and Lorier Neptune. When I emailed Baltic to ask about their restock plan and any potential updates, and they said (09/04/19):

"There will be no change on the watch, until now we only have positive feedback on our watches."

I guess no one really complained about anything to their CS.

Great looking piece overall, and like you said I'm just not sure about its price...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    I think there has been some complaints that I am aware of - from people on this forum.
    Companys will always spin any feedback to sound like it is all positive! Every company has issues
    of some kind or another.........just that startups have to try that much harder to keep us whingers
    subdued!

The Lorier Neptune is a very nice watch for the money. The only off-putting thing for me is the space between
    the end of the lugs and the case. Once you fit a leather on it, it looks as if there is too much gap. I had this same
    issue with the BALTIC 3 hander. Just could not live with it. Also whilst I love the arrow hands , I just have too many
    in the collection and the minute and hour hands proportions do not seem to match each other.
    Lorier seem to have their PR well done and you can identify with the company. Not so much with BALTIC.
    uperhemi and Zzyzx like this.

I'd go for it if it were $200 cheaper
    nurpur, uperhemi and Zzyzx like this.

Sponsor

Great & honest review. Nice shots too!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information