Breitling Colt Automatic Arrived – Impressions/Review - Page 2
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Breitling Colt Automatic Arrived – Impressions/Review

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Breitling Colt Automatic Arrived – Impressions/Review

Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappyheropup View Post
    Great write up and pictures. Congrats on the new watch.

I am a Breitling fan. I love how thin yours is for a diver.

-- Wayne
    Thanks Wayne! My enthusiasm is likely over the top, lol, given that this is mere entry level, but I'm just so impressed with every aspect, and, yes, when I learned the sleek profile on this, I was sold.

It is wonderfully comfortable and is a magic mix for me, providing the substantial look I want, without a substantial feel in terms of being weighty or cumbersome. With the very flat case back, it parks up on the wrist where it sits, and doesn't even move around, at all, despite no need for a tight fit of the bracelet.

Much appreciate your comments!
    Lots of watches in many brands: Breitling (finally!), Raymond Weil, Maurice LaCroix, Louis Erard, Seiko, Mido, Certina, Tissot, Hamilton, Victorinox, Wenger, Christopher Ward, Edox, Gv2, Swiss Army Charmex, Luminox, Bulova, Citizen, Casio, Orient, Seagull, Reef Tiger (yes, that one, ha!), Invicta, Deep Blue, Air Blue, Magrette, Belmoto, Leyden, Lum-Tec, Dryden, House of Horology.

I don't think it's over the top at all. I could feel your enthusiasm reading your review, loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by morewatchesthanmoney View Post
    Thanks Wayne! My enthusiasm is likely over the top, lol, given that this is mere entry level, but I'm just so impressed with every aspect, and, yes, when I learned the sleek profile on this, I was sold.

Much appreciate your comments!

-- Wayne

Fabulous! Congrats on your new purchase! I'm a newb, so I have a question about the lume...you mentioned "until morning." Does the lume really stay lit all night? I imagined a few minutes of illumination, but not hours.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Congratulations on your Breitling Colt and thanks for the in-depth review and pictures of your Breitling. Plus, quick review of the Heiden Monaco watch winder. Interesting the local Breitling service center reaction because you did not buy your Colt from the AD route.

Enjoy your grail that you have long admired.

Quote Originally Posted by m_ridzon View Post
    Fabulous! Congrats on your new purchase! I'm a newb, so I have a question about the lume...you mentioned "until morning." Does the lume really stay lit all night? I imagined a few minutes of illumination, but not hours.
    Thank you, and great question!

Anything other than Tritium tubes will fade, of course, as the hours go by. Initial minutes after lights out are brightest, naturally, and even then it depends on recent exposure to light (and how bright that light was) and of course depends on the lume itself (Invicta's "Tritnite" can be quite useless). So, for example, a watch with good lume, tucked under a shirt cuff all day, is not going to do much glowing as the lights go down.

On this Colt, you can even see the lume activated in the photo on the black/yellow NATO, which was simply moving into my car after a few minutes exposure to sunlit conditions, which has only been something I've seen on my recently bought Seikos (master brand of lume), where you see the lume glowing up even in a daylit environment.

Granted, this is my first better watch, and I do know other top brands do it very well too, and I've heard Rolex's proprietary lume (no suprise) is quite impressive. I suppose, given that Breitling leans toward functional tool watches for real world use, it makes sense they use lume for practical application. I've got decent lume on other brands. I was just pleasantly surprised at the robust quality of lume on this Colt.

I've found lume sometimes to be a bit of an afterthought, depending on the brand. Again, I'm coming from affordables, so that statement means nothing in terms of high end brands (Tudor, Panerai, Tag, even Cartier and other brands have renowned lumed models) but I'm assuming it's an expense thing, in manufacture, or even just not a priority to heavily lume a watch not aimed at dive or field use, where the maker doesn't assume a need for bright, long lasting lume.

So, depending on the watch, yes, you may get a few very bright minutes and then a lot of fade, and not much visibility after a few hours, and, although Super-Luminova is said to expect to be visible for up to seven hours, I can't say that all of my Super-Luminova lumed watches have that range of staying power, hence my surprise here.

Brands that opt for Tritium tubes (Bell at high end, Luminox in the more affordable range -- other brands as well, of course) give you lume that functions without any exposure to light needed. It is not painted on, but rather it is a light emitting radioactive isotope sealed inside tiny tubes, which are then applied to the dial and hands. It tends to glow less intensely than some lumes, but is "on" 24 hours a day, but only lasts a few decades before needing to be replaced.

With respect to what Swiss and various micro brands use (Super-Luminova), it comes in varying degrees, in terms of brightness and hue, and depends, naturally, on how many layers are applied and to how broad of an area. Seiko, as a lume master, has it's own proprietary product, LumiBrite, just as Rolex has their own (Chromalight).

Interesting, the story behind lume, how it went from a radioactive substance that was deadly to the women applying it by hand, with brushes, to watch parts, eventually to be replaced by a safe product. And, in origin, interesting too that it seems the Japanese created it (called just Luminova), then allowed others to use it, and now the Swiss have their own name for it and the origins are rarely touted -- consider that Super-Luminova is often stated as "Swiss" Super-Luminova which, while true, kind of makes it sound like they thought of it. Marketing ever has its spin.

But, yes, hours, for sure, not minutes, on this watch, which is an appreciable feature!
    Lots of watches in many brands: Breitling (finally!), Raymond Weil, Maurice LaCroix, Louis Erard, Seiko, Mido, Certina, Tissot, Hamilton, Victorinox, Wenger, Christopher Ward, Edox, Gv2, Swiss Army Charmex, Luminox, Bulova, Citizen, Casio, Orient, Seagull, Reef Tiger (yes, that one, ha!), Invicta, Deep Blue, Air Blue, Magrette, Belmoto, Leyden, Lum-Tec, Dryden, House of Horology.

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Hager626 View Post
    Congratulations on your Breitling Colt and thanks for the in-depth review and pictures of your Breitling. Plus, quick review of the Heiden Monaco watch winder. Interesting the local Breitling service center reaction because you did not buy your Colt from the AD route.

Enjoy your grail that you have long admired.
    Thanks so much!

Yes, I kind of expected a bit of red carpet treatment. And, although it was an AD purchase, it just wasn't from that AD (who happens to be one of the local Service Center locations, for Breitling), so their store policy is, even as a Breitling Service Center, for a Breitling watch covered by Warranty from an Authorized Dealer, if you didn't buy it from their store, you get lesser service.

If I'd bought from them, instead of from an AD across the country, it's no fee and no wait for bracelet servicing -- same day, while you wait, free of charge. For a non-customer, a fee, and you get it back when they call you. They are probably equally snooty for an AD Rolex purchased elsewhere. They also sell Panerai, etc. and, in reading up on them later, they are apparently not known to have a very welcoming attitude, as a high end retailer, which is a shame, frankly, given that reviewers also equated the lackluster response with a negative perception of the brand they'd bought.

I know a store is free to do as they please, but not a great way to engender customer interest. Not treating a non-customer well is no way to earn a future customer, at least not with me.

And, the other Service Center, some miles away, didn't even reply to my inquiry.

I even wrote Breitling, asking if they knew of other options, and they didn't bother to reply either, so....yeah....not so impressive on that front.

I consider my quite inexpensive quartz Certina -- years and years ago, took it to a very well-appointed Swatch Group boutique, to inquire because it had stopped working, and I had only recently purchased it, so had not expected a battery needed so soon, thus wanted them to see what was going on with it, and, at first, they didn't even recognize Certina as a Swatch Group brand, which was disappointing, but, and this was quite impressive, apparently the dealings of the front of the store are actively monitored in back of the store by management. I was on my way out the door, after being told it was not a brand they deal with, and I'd need to contact Certina directly, when someone in back called to the phone of the front counter.

I was halted by the white gloved doorman, and ushered back inside, was given an apology for the mistake (Certina is generally known in Europe, not so much, State-side), and was then served coffee and chocolates while they inspected the watch. Turned out to be the battery, which they replaced, for free. Got to also drool over their Omega collection, which was lovely.

Hoping now that my Breitling doesn't need servicing, beyond the recommended maintenance, given the disappointing treatment.

Funny how we assume paying more, and going AD, gives the greater experience, but not always the case.

Nice review of a nice watch. Good job.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information