For long time I was looking for a G-Shock watch that could match the following criteria:
- must be in traditional square design;
- and should have somewhat advanced module (snooze alarm, configurable backlight, etc.);
- but preferably that is non-solar-powered and non-radio-controlled.
GLS-5600CL meets these requirements perfectly, it even goes far beyond them.
In contrast with the regular G-Shock squares, GLS-5600CL boasts low temperature resistance (up to –20°C/–4°F).
It is indeed a nice feature to have during lengthy training sessions in winter.
Also, instead of commonly used CR2016 batteries the watch employs CR2025—meaning 1 more year of battery life.
I am personally not a big fan of rubber bands, and first thing I would do is to buy strap adapters. However, to my fortune, GLS-5600CL already comes with adapters and a cloth band.
The cloth band is well-made, comfortable, and has matte stainless steel hardware.
The watch features a negative display, it is neither pro nor con IMO. Being negative, the display does sacrifice some readability for looking pretty. I think it fits overall design.
Note, though, that the blue green backlight eliminates any possible readability issues.
- Module 3178
- Electro-luminescent backlight—auto Light switch, selectable illumination duration (3 or 5 seconds), afterglow
- Flash alert
- Button operation tone on/off
- 1/100-second dual stopwatches—1000 hours capacity, 3 measuring modes (elapsed time, split time, two finishes), auto start (only stopwatch 1)
- 5 multi-function alarms (1 snooze alarm)
- Countdown timer—from 1 minute to 24 hours with 1 second measuring unit, auto-repeat, progress beeper
- Hourly time signal
- Full auto-calendar (to year 2099)
- 12/24-hour format
- World time—29 time zones (48 cities), daylight saving on/off
- Accuracy to ±15 seconds per month
- Approx. 3 years battery life
- Low temperature resistance (–20°C/–4°F)
- Shock resistant
- 200-meter water resistance
- Mineral glass
- Cloth band
Without any doubts this watch is my ideal beater.