The Ginault Ocean Rover 181175LSILN - A comparative review. - Page 3
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: The Ginault Ocean Rover 181175LSILN - A comparative review.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The Ginault Ocean Rover 181175LSILN - A comparative review.

Quote Originally Posted by Ninjabathy View Post
    I didn’t pay Rolex (or Omega) prices for this. I also couldn’t sell two of them (if I had them) and buy a new Omega.
    Actually when I sold both of mine I bought an Omega with the proceeds.

So in essence, I had two wanna-be's that I turned into one real deal.

Quite happy with that decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LosAngelesTimer likes this.

Super helpful thread guys. Any other QC issues out there? I’ve heard some issues with the movement which is why I’m considering jumping on the ORII, but if those other QC issues persist that might put me into something else. Thoughts?

Re: The Ginault Ocean Rover 181175LSILN - A comparative review.

Well, it’s been nearly 6 months of wear, now, kept on a winder. I can report that the build quality it still lovely (once those initial issues were sorted - which they were - amicably, too, I might add). The movement is definitely the weak spot here. It keeps better time than my Seikos, but is absolutely nowhere near the Logines or Rolex, now. They’re both still on about +2spd on the wrist, back down by -2spd overnight, 12 up, so at 0spd... I set their time about once a month if I haven’t worn one for about a week... the Ginault, however, is now losing about 10spd on average, and a further 5 or so overnight, so I’ll be a minute out within a week. Not quite as advertised, but still within tolerance. Hope it’s useful!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting review of an interesting watch from an interesting brand with an interesting history.
    Summary - it's interesting.
    Dec1968 likes this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour ętre heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Interesting history ? Hmmh, based on the history hawked around here and there the juice is not worth the squeeze, imho.
    Dec1968 likes this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Well, I have to be careful what I say and how I say it. "Interesting" means many things.
    drttown and Dec1968 like this.
    Seulement, il faut du temps pour ętre heureux. Beaucoup de temps. Le bonheur lui aussi est une longue patience. - Only, it takes time to be happy. A lot of time. Happiness, too, is a long patience.

Fantastic write up mate well done.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

I've put down a deposit on an ORII. I did that because it was a watch I thought I'd enjoy wearing that I could actually buy for list price (or maybe a bit less as part of the pre-ORII buy). The Rolex is a great watch, but the way things are now, it's not a watch you can actually find and buy due to availability issues and if you are "allowed" to buy it, it will probably be significantly above list. Maybe I'm not a good enough capitalist because that kind of bothers me -- it makes me not want to spend my money on a Rolex (any Rolex). I think I'll enjoy the ORII, and I can do it at a reasonable price.

I did think about Omega, but it would have cost me $2000-$3000 even to buy a used Seamaster and a lot more to buy new. I'm sure it would have been a great watch and maybe I'll buy one in future -- it's a lot more likely than it is that I will buy an actual Submariner (and probably the Omega would be cheaper to maintain too).

Much as I like the design of their divers, Rolex seems to be pitching themselves as a watch for rich celebrities. They want to be seen on the wrists of the beautiful (and wealthy) people. They want to build watches that ordinary people can't just walk into a dealer and buy -- you have to be connected or famous. I think even the Tudors have now risen to such lofty pricing that they have lost their "affordable Rolex" stamp. I'll appreciate the Rolex Subs from a distance.

As to looking like a Rolex, well definitely intentional with Ginault. BUT the fact is that nearly EVERY dive watch has a very common set of characteristics, even the ones which are not homages. Many of them have black dials, big indices loaded with lume, fat hands, a big clicky bezel, a stainless steel case, a stainless steel bracelet, etc. Even the non homages look like Rolexes. And no-one has ever noticed ANY of my watches and commented. But if they do, that's OK, I'll have a nice conversation starter. No... it's a Ginault, and it's a great watch and way more reasonably priced. Course to know for sure, I have to actually get one first!

I wonder what Ginault's next watch after the Ocean Rovers are going to be? More dive watches or something totally different?

Quote Originally Posted by carbon_dragon View Post
    I've put down a deposit on an ORII. I did that because it was a watch I thought I'd enjoy wearing that I could actually buy for list price (or maybe a bit less as part of the pre-ORII buy). The Rolex is a great watch, but the way things are now, it's not a watch you can actually find and buy due to availability issues and if you are "allowed" to buy it, it will probably be significantly above list. Maybe I'm not a good enough capitalist because that kind of bothers me -- it makes me not want to spend my money on a Rolex (any Rolex). I think I'll enjoy the ORII, and I can do it at a reasonable price.

I did think about Omega, but it would have cost me $2000-$3000 even to buy a used Seamaster and a lot more to buy new. I'm sure it would have been a great watch and maybe I'll buy one in future -- it's a lot more likely than it is that I will buy an actual Submariner (and probably the Omega would be cheaper to maintain too).

Much as I like the design of their divers, Rolex seems to be pitching themselves as a watch for rich celebrities. They want to be seen on the wrists of the beautiful (and wealthy) people. They want to build watches that ordinary people can't just walk into a dealer and buy -- you have to be connected or famous. I think even the Tudors have now risen to such lofty pricing that they have lost their "affordable Rolex" stamp. I'll appreciate the Rolex Subs from a distance.

As to looking like a Rolex, well definitely intentional with Ginault. BUT the fact is that nearly EVERY dive watch has a very common set of characteristics, even the ones which are not homages. Many of them have black dials, big indices loaded with lume, fat hands, a big clicky bezel, a stainless steel case, a stainless steel bracelet, etc. Even the non homages look like Rolexes. And no-one has ever noticed ANY of my watches and commented. But if they do, that's OK, I'll have a nice conversation starter. No... it's a Ginault, and it's a great watch and way more reasonably priced. Course to know for sure, I have to actually get one first!

I wonder what Ginault's next watch after the Ocean Rovers are going to be? More dive watches or something totally different?
    I agree with what you're saying. I ordered one simply because I love the look of it. (I have a thing for watches with a black/red colour scheme) and from what I've seen n heard it's a very well built watch that keeps great time at a price point I find reasonable.

From the homage point of view its probably the first one that comes within touching distance of the real thing. Something no other homage maker has been able to accomplish (IMO) another penny that tips the scale in favour of those with Rolex taste buds without Rolex pockets.

It seems like they're onto something so my guess is they'll stay within this realm for now maybe producing variations of the same thing, starting with a GMT version.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Great write up. One thing that Ginault does get right is that end link. It is steeply sloped as it is on the Submarine. Also, the end link itself is shorter in length, i.e. it doesn't sit flush with the watch lugs. This allows the last link of the bracelet to sort of sit inside of the watch's lugs. Hard to explain but if you look at pics side by side of a Submariner's end link and many homage watche's end links, you'll see what I'm referring to.
    So many brands that make homage pieces get this completely wrong and make it so the end links protrude out too much. This affects how well the watch wears on wrist significantly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information