HERE WE GO AGAIN: LOREO SEAGULL MOVEMENT ROLEX HOMAGE REViEW
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: HERE WE GO AGAIN: LOREO SEAGULL MOVEMENT ROLEX HOMAGE REViEW

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

HERE WE GO AGAIN: LOREO SEAGULL MOVEMENT ROLEX HOMAGE REViEW

Name:  loreo.jpg
Views: 5775
Size:  253.1 KB
    sorry...rotten LG cellphone pic of a great looking watch.

ok...i can hear the groanz. is someone reaLLy reviewing a $100 Chinese Rolex homage watch? ok...'homage' is a kinder term than some of you snobophiles out there might use.

anyway, yes. of course i need to state my seriousness as a person, that i've had new rollies i've purchased from Rolex, including a submariner a few years back. plus many other high end Swiss. that said, i do love interesting pieces, and lower spectrum pieces. heck, i always liked the original VW bug when it came out.

ok...so. i got my Loreo direct from China from ebay at $102 complete, shipping included. a bit lower than an almost equally good amazon price. why buy this? i already spent more than enough money on my Oris 1965, my Damasko über hard case DA46 and many other vintage pieces including Wagner 1939 Luftwaffe signed RLM pilot's watch, Steinhart vintage military one, blah, blah.

i love Rolex sub styling but do not need to have one these days, but wanted something fun. i'd also spent too much on Rolex homage pieces like Armida, Davosa, and in fact was sorry to find some QC issues involving scratches on the pieces...the Davosa being a pricey watch to receive bracelet installation scratches brand new, so i wasn't about to blow bucks on any more mid-price scratched up watches new from the manufacturer.

the Loreo seemed perfect. i also didn't want Rolex knockoffs with weird ebay names like 'corgeut', 'parnis', or any number of weird names that Chinese manufacturers think sound European, but sound more like indelicate body parts. at least the Loreo sounded like it cOULd be a real Euro watch (claims to be made in Germany...heheh). it also had excellent design in the pictures, better than Invictas with their mutilated case sides with an unwanted brand name on them. and if this was going to be a Rolex 'homage' (ok, ripoff), then at least make the case reaLLLy look Rolexy. which this did in the promo pics.

so i bit.

(ACTUAL REViEW STARTS HERE...) and what i got super surprised me. i won't belabor the box and packaging, which was better than most Seikos i get from overseas. but the watch itself, looked really as good as the promo pics. one variance was the magnified date, which isn't quite as magnified as those pics will suggest, but at least as magnified as some $500+ pieces i've purchased. so will give them a pass on that.

the one i purchased came with no bracelet (i remove them from the bracelets and put them on 3-piece leather bund straps, which i love) so i cannot evaluate the steel bracelet. the multicolored nato strap looked like something you'd need to pop $25 for on ebay and was very nice. the watch itself truly looked, yes, like a Rolex physically. but as you and i know, we could tell the diff...but it did look like many even Swiss made Rolex homage pieces from real swiss brands such as Grovana, which you'd be lucky to purchase for $500.

so cosmetically, to look at it even closely on someone's wrist, would suggest a high grade Swiss contemporary of Rolex with an homage style.

but we know better. some handling of the Loreo does not make it crash and burn. it is a nice operating piece. i love the smooth movement of the unidirectional bezel, which by the way aligns up perfectly...which is better than some $1000 Swiss pieces i've bought. the screw down crown is no worse than a $400 Seiko in smoothness clicking from setting position to setting position, or screwing down. the bezel is perhaps too delightfully easy to move for some tastes, tho i like it. there is a tiny bit of play if you try to test it, maybe 1/4 click, but then it snaps back after you push it.

the back is a see thru glass that looks as well constructed as any nominally costing Swiss diver that has such. the movement looks very nice thru the sapphire or mineral crystal (whichever it is), more pleasant than your Seiko 5's and their 7s36's and such. it's totally nice, no horror stories.

as for whether this is 200meter dive watch...even on amazon the ads disclaim that and state 5ATM...so like some promo material claiming 'German technology', i'd eat that with a rock sized grain of salt. but on my leather bund strap, i ain't going diving with it nowhere, no time anyway.

the look of the dial is surprisingly sharp. in person there were no marker alignment problems as i have had with $400 Seiko divers of late. the logo and script (no, this is no chronometre as the type says) looks as nice as midrange Swiss divers i've purchased. the glow markers do in fact glow nicely. when i had my new Rolex sub back around 2000 and datejust a few years later, they would have lost out to this watch. tho nowadays, a Seiko will burn brighter. the bezel is old fashioned aluminum, which is classic old school and ok. the one drawback is no lume pip. in fact i just noticed this while writing this review. if it really bothers one, replacement bezel inserts with pip would be available for this size bezel on ebay for about $20.

the hands however, are superb.

nOw...for the final judgement...the movement...

i know it's some sort of Seagull Chinese movement, and i'm sure someone reading this is more expert than i as to what's in here.

wHAT i expected was some Miyota 8015 clone that would have a stutter seconds hand when shaken briskly because of the well-known non-direct drive attachment of the that hand. i also expected no hacking from the movement (except for the old Seiko trick of turning the crown backwards slightly to stall the movement whilst setting).

to my surprise was a fully hacking movement with NO stuttering seconds hand when i shook it. i have an 8215 in my new Citizen cool looking diver, and can stutter that seconds hand at will with enough of a shake. not so this Loreo movement. upon some research on the internets (as people facetiously call it, made infamous by W. Bush) there was info that what's in this Loreo is a Seagull version of a 2824.

whether that's true or not, i do not know. the beats are more like an NH35, meaning some 21,000 bpm or thereabouts. many renown Swiss movements beat that LOw...so no horror. no stuttering, no variation in ticks beyond what might be in an NH35 (that i could notice).

wHAT i did notice after 24 hours versus my mac AND android phone, was that it lost 2.5 seconds in that time period, out of the box. that was with a very minimal 5-10 winds, and about 16 hours of low activity computer wear, and 10 hours face up. i've posted many times that Seikos routinely beat my 2000 brand NEW Rolex sub, which was about 10 secs a day off, which is outside of its chronometre status. so, i can say i'm pretty pleased with the last bit of this watch to be reviewed...the engine.

ALL iN ALL...this is clearly an acquired taste. like a wine aficionado being able to enjoy 2 buck chuck from Trader Joe's.

but for me it filled a few needs...getting a really ace looking Rolex sub homage with decent qualifications, even if Chinese, at a decent price. WiTHOUT some dopey name like 'corgeut' or 'parnis' on it, sounding like a foreign swearword. i also was curious to have an actual Chinese movement watch and see how it performed...kind of like a novelty. i'm very impressed with this novelty.

as an acquired taste, or niche one-off purchase, or if you like fun low end watches, this is certainly for you. it not only does not crash and burn, it pleasantly surprises. if you're going down to battle sharks...no. otherwise...you might like it. maybe love it.

Re: HERE WE GO AGAIN: LOREO SEAGULL MOVEMENT ROLEX HOMAGE REViEW

I can't understand the attraction to a watch that simply copies another's design.
    Watchbreath likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by UofRSpider View Post
    I can't understand the attraction to a watch that simply copies another's design.
    as an artist myself, i'd say design is the key. if you look at Rolex watches today, they've 'modernized' their design to beef their cases up, kind of a Breitiling-ization of Rolex. i am uninterested in that, as many people are not. there is a beauty and purity to the Rolex sub of the early 60s/late 60s that is independent of wanting a status symbol. the entire history of watchmaking, or anything for that matter, is taking/sharing/evolution of design. so if i love a particular type of watch design, i can enjoy it done well by any manufacturer, at any price level. not talking about purely knockoffs with a fake Rolex name, etcetera. while the Loreo could clearly put a Rolex name on their watch and be a knockoff, they don't, and their logo and inexpensive yet impressive rendition of a sub style, along with an inexpensive but curious and interesting Chinese Sea Gull movement, makes this a very interesting and fun/inexpensive piece.

all artists know that it isn't who has their name on a design, it's the design. Steve Jobs liked to refer to Picasso's quote: 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.'

i'll go with that. especially since Loreo brashly just created an inexpensive, but interesting in its own right, virtually stolen submariner design. Loreo may not be a 'great' watch company, or by some standards they may. i find their piece more true to the submariner pure design, with the cool Sea Gull movement twist, and perhaps more interesting than many Swiss $2000 homage's out there, that change perhaps a crown guard to be 'their own'. i love the design, whether it's an old Rolex, or a new inexpensive rendition. i'm also a big pilot watch collector from ww2, and if you try to find the difference between some of them you might be hard pressed to do so. though i'd never say i couldn't understand the attraction to one over the other because they've all pretty much copied each other.

appreciate your comment...hope that helps.
    Last edited by casablancawatch; May 28th, 2017 at 01:45.
    MikeOL likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I don't see why people are so bothered about homages, people seem to be fine with buying a Steinhart for $450 as it has an ETA movement...

Quote Originally Posted by casablancawatch View Post
    Name:  loreo.jpg
Views: 5775
Size:  253.1 KB
    sorry...rotten LG cellphone pic of a great looking watch.

ALL iN ALL...this is clearly an acquired taste. like a wine aficionado being able to enjoy 2 buck chuck from Trader Joe's.

Thank you for the review. Based on the reviews I am reading, this is no Rothschild Opus 1; but, I think this is more like the grocery outlet $5.00 wine. Sometimes you can find a good wine for $5.00 at the outlet store. Sapphire and waterproof is a huge improvement for most Chinese watches.

Oh and duly noted, its its a cheap Chinese someone will whine (wine) about it being a clone; but if it cost $1000.00 its fine German engineering or something. Just ignore them and their dogma which will not improve anyones happiness.
    Last edited by cuevobat; June 25th, 2017 at 15:38.
    Instagram: dsbat Instagram: sluts.and.horos
    MEMBER SOUTH LAKE UNION TIMEOGRAPHERS & HOROLOGIST WATCH CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by cuevobat View Post
    Thank you for the review. Based on the reviews I am reading, this is no Rothschild Opus 1; but, I think this is more like the grocery outlet $5.00 wine. Sometimes you can find a good wine for $5.00 at the outlet store. Sapphire and waterproof is a huge improvement for most Chinese watches.

Oh and duly noted, its its a cheap Chinese someone will whine (wine) about it being a clone; but if it cost $1000.00 its fine German engineering or something. Just ignore them and their dogma which will not improve anyones happiness.
    thanks for understanding. right now i'm wearing my $2400 list price all swiss all ceramic swiss movement diver watch which i adore, but as you imply i can also enjoy 2 buck chuck (now $3?) when it's not bad. i did get the Loreo as kind of an experiment, curious about the movement. but mainly because the rolex look is more right on than any homage piece i've ever seen. better than my german/swiss Steinhart (which i love).

at 5 sec slow a day continuously, this beats all my swiss watches. hacks. winds. (i believe it's actually a clone of the miyota 8215 but with hacking added). looks so good. i suppose most of all, i really enjoy slapping it on. which is pretty much why people who have fine wine taste don't mind picking up some 2 buck chuck from trader joe's. you can like both. your comments appreciated.
    GratisShark and MikeOL like this.

Quote Originally Posted by pearcyy View Post
    I don't see why people are so bothered about homages, people seem to be fine with buying a Steinhart for $450 as it has an ETA movement...
    Nope, will not wear one of those shitters either.

Got me some Two Buck Chuck!

Name:  IMG_1923.jpg
Views: 5253
Size:  129.2 KB

Its pretty well built. The crystal is quite clear and nice. The green is pretty cool too. How it will hold up, I don't know. The size is perfect for me. The dial is sharp and the markers are aligned well. Mine came with a bracelet for $79.00. I walked indoors after a few hours in the sun and the markers glowed pretty well, the hands not as much. I hoped to use it for modification; but, alas I like the green one so much I think I will keep it in tact, at least for now. Maybe I will buy a black one for modification.

casablancawatch and MikeOL like this.
    Instagram: dsbat Instagram: sluts.and.horos
    MEMBER SOUTH LAKE UNION TIMEOGRAPHERS & HOROLOGIST WATCH CLUB

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

WOW, a superlative chronometer officially certified ? A certified downright lie.
    casablancawatch, Joved and joepac like this.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

I need to work on my Coregut.They say a strong coregut is essential for overall fitnessName:  SOKI not a sub closer to a pp Nautilus in concept. 006.jpg
Views: 5122
Size:  1.71 MB. I have two ALPHA Sub homages (ones a milsub)Name:  Alpha mil sub. 014.jpg
Views: 5131
Size:  1.35 MBName:  Alpha sub on Perlon strap 003.jpg
Views: 5033
Size:  1.94 MB and like them a lot.I also have a SOKI sub homage or I did.Three direct sub homages is too much so i put a plain bezel on it that i got from Meranom.
    casablancawatch likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information