REVIEW: Stowa Marine Original 80th Anniversary Ed. with Pics

Thread: REVIEW: Stowa Marine Original 80th Anniversary Ed. with Pics

REVIEW: Stowa Marine Original 80th Anniversary Ed. with Pics

Hi All.

Much shorter review this time. :lol:

This has been out for some time, but thought some folks might enjoy a look back.

In 2008 Stowa released the Marine Original 80th anniversary edition. It was limited to 80 pieces in the USA (and 80 pieces in Europe also as I recall). I think this thing sold out on Watchbuys in about 2 days. Ordering was around November 2007, and delivery was around March 2008.

The enamel dial and red 12 were the big draws here, as well as the limited edition nature. Below seconds subdial, is the unique serial number for each watch. I do not think there was much else beyond that to distinguish it from the standard MO that you can still order today.

The movement is a Unitas handwound 6498, and is very nicely decorated. A nice touch on all MO's is the Swan Neck regulation, which in not something either my NOMOS or my Sinn 6100 have.

Signed Crown and Buckle are here as one would expect, as is Sapphire glass all the way around. Stowa does not produce their own cases, but they are all finished at Stowa, many of not all of them, by Jorg himself to some extent. To my eye, this brushed finish is very well done, especially in this price range. I think this was around $1400 at the time, and I believe I have seen to go higher than that on the used market. Not something that happens to many watches, and you don't see them pop up very often. A new "regular" MO is around $900 from the Stowa website. One of the best deal on the planet if you ask me. One interesting thing, is the way the Stowa buckle on the deployant has a small screw which secures the buckle to the strap through the a strap hole. Not sure if others work this way, but I've never seen it done like that before, and think it's pretty cool.

Anyone considering a nice, modestly priced handwound watch would be well advised to give the standard Stowa MO serious consideration. :ugeek:

Now on to the pics, all of which were taken with my new Canon S90. :thumbsup:

Thanks for looking! :cheers:
    Steven
    Florida, USA

Sinn 103 St Sa LE
    Sinn 757 UTC
    Sinn U1
    Sinn 6100 Regulatuer
    IWC Aquatimer
    NOMOS Tangomat Datum
    Stowa Marine Original, 80th anniversary LE
    Stowa Seatime
    Doxa SUB750T Military Sharkhunter PVD
    Zinex Trimix GMT PVD LE Black Pirate
    Ocean 7 LM-2 GMT SE PVD
    Bathys Aquaculture MOP PVD
    Tissot TXL
    Seiko Kinetic Sportura SNL029P1 PVD
    Seiko Chronograph Sports 150
    Citizens Eco-Drive Calibre 8700 BL8000-03A
    Citizens Eco-Drive Largo Perpetual Calendar
    TX 730 w/ FlyBack Chrono
    Poljot Sturmanske Chrono
    Aristo Apucto HP6
    Casio ToughSolar ProTrek Titanium
    Various G's

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: REVIEW: Stowa Marine Original 80th Anniversary Ed. with Pics

Interesting write up, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thread Information