Tiger-Concept 5513V2 Style L "Comex"
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Tiger-Concept 5513V2 Style L "Comex"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Just purchased a Tiger-Concept 5513V2 Style L submariner homage. New to Tiger, but liked what I saw for the price.

Tiger labels the 5513V2 style L as a "new" edition, not sure how new it is. At first glance it is an obvious submariner homage. It has all of the pedigree signs of the submariner, case style, oyster bracelet, dial configuration etc... The one unique attribute with this watch is an obvious nod to the 1665 Comex Sea-Dweller-a white block with "CONCEPT" written in black. Definitely makes this one stand out and it certainly got my interest.

Name:  IMG_3228.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  84.5 KB
    Name:  IMG_3230.jpg
Views: 864
Size:  75.4 KB

Lets start with the basics:

Case and Crystal-the case is a standard oyster configuration. Its got the look and feel of a sub and the size is right on (Tiger says the case diameter is 39.3mm). I have really began to move towards models with a more traditional case size. Many homage subs come in at 42mm, which for me is slightly too big, at 39mm it is the perfect size and is a more historically accurate size for a homage diver. Case finishing appears to be good, polished sides and matte areas on the top and bottom of the lugs. The crown is a typical oyster style, screw down and easy to make adjustments. The Miyota movement is smooth winding and easy to set the time. The crown guards are a mix of the "Eagle Beak" style and the typical sub guards. To me it looks really close to my Squale 1545 maxi crown guards. The crystal is a domed mineral glass. I really appreciate the vintage appeal of the acrylic/mineral glass crystals. Although a cheaper option it makes for a nice vintage touch and the dome is refreshing in a market dominated by flat sapphire crystals.

Bezel and Dial- Standard aluminum insert bezel, 120 clicks, easy to rotate and the bezel serrations make the bezel easy to grip and turn. The dial has a very typical submariner style layout. The lume plots are nicely placed and appear to be spot on-they have a great "maxi" look. The dial is matte black and it really looks good. To me, a good matte dial can really make a watch look great texture wise and this hits the mark. Good contrast in the sunlight or well lit areas-the picture doesn't do it justice. The writing on the dial is specific to Tiger-it is in the same 1665 three line style under the "CONCEPT" block, with text claiming the water resistance of 100m, self winding rotor, and the moniker of "Deep Marine Diver". The date window at the three o' clock position is well placed and you are able to see the date without any obstructions. The lume on dial is not the greatest, it will charge when held to light, however; it is not super bright and does not last long. This is feedback that I had heard from others who own Tigers. Overall the dial is well executed and it fits the watch well.

Name:  IMG_3234.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  84.1 KB

Bracelet- The bracelet is a standard oyster style with screw pins for link adjustment. The bracelet links are the right thickness to still get a flexible, slinky like oyster bracelet. The construction is okay, some components have some visible slop when moved or pushed, but overall the construction is solid. The sides of the links are polished.
    Name:  IMG_3232.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  74.7 KB

What I really like- I really like this watch. The price is hard to beat-at under $300 you can get this watch with a Miyota 8215. It arrived in a little over a week from Hong Kong and although it lacked a box and formal documentation, it is a great budget piece and one of the only homages that I am aware of that offers the attractive look of the Comex subs/sea-dwellers. I know that a Steinhart Ocean model had the Comex look, but they are hard to find and in my opinion they do not offer vintage appointments like a smaller case size and traditional styling.

What I dont like-There is not a lot to complain about here. As a big fan of micro-brands like MKII I was skeptical of what I would get. It is obvious that much of the value I see in MKII pieces (meticulous QC, American or Swiss assembled, ETA movements etc..) is not present here, but for the price, it makes for a great daily wear piece that has some killer looks.

One word of caution. This one is only water resistant to 100m, which for me is totally fine. I did notice on the tiger site that they mentioned that all watches are water resistant to 10atm and that any and all claims on the dial are for decoration purposes only. For me this wasn't a big deal as 100m=10atm, however; Tiger does have a few models out there with higher "rated" water resistance on the dials. From my understanding the resistance will always be 100m no matter what is on the dial.

Enjoy-you can find this one and many other sub style variants at tiger-concept.com
    Last edited by rudarb2990; February 7th, 2018 at 03:19.
    Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean Chronograph
    MKII Nassau
    MKII Key West GMT

Re: Tiger-Concept 5513V2 Style L "Comex"

Quote Originally Posted by rudarb2990 View Post
    Just purchased a Tiger-Concept 5513V2 Style L submariner homage. New to Tiger, but liked what I saw for the price.

Tiger labels the 5513V2 style L as a "new" edition, not sure how new it is. At first glance it is an obvious submariner homage. It has all of the pedigree signs of the submariner, case style, oyster bracelet, dial configuration etc... The one unique attribute with this watch is an obvious nod to the 1665 Comex Sea-Dweller-a white block with "CONCEPT" written in black. Definitely makes this one stand out and it certainly got my interest.

Case and Crystal-the case is a standard oyster configuration. Its got the look and feel of a sub and the size is right on (Tiger says the case diameter is 39.3mm). I have really began to move towards models with a more traditional case size. Many homage subs come in at 42mm, which for me is slightly too big, at 39mm it is the perfect size and is a more historically accurate size for a homage diver. Case finishing appears to be good, polished sides and matte areas on the top and bottom of the lugs. The crown is a typical oyster style, screw down and easy to make adjustments. The Miyota movement is smooth winding and easy to set the time. The crystal is a domed mineral glass. I really appreciate the vintage appeal of the acrylic/mineral glass crystals. Although a cheaper option it makes for a nice vintage touch and the dome is refreshing in a market dominated by flat sapphire crystals.

Bezel and Dial- Standard aluminum insert bezel, 120 clicks, easy to rotate and the bezel serrations make the bezel easy to grip and turn. The dial has a very typical submariner style layout. The lume plots are nicely placed and appear to be spot on-they have a great "maxi" look. The dial is matte black and it really looks good. To me, a good matte dial can really make a watch look great texture wise and this hits the mark. Good contrast in the sunlight or well lit areas-the picture doesn't do it justice. The writing on the dial is specific to Tiger-it is in the same 1665 three line style under the "CONCEPT" block, with text claiming the water resistance of 100m, self winding rotor, and the moniker of "Deep Marine Diver". The date window at the three o' clock position is well placed and you are able to see the date without any obstructions. Overall the dial is well executed and it fits the watch well.

Bracelet- The bracelet is a standard oyster style with screw pins for link adjustment. The bracelet links are the right thickness to still get a flexible, slinky like oyster bracelet. The construction is okay, some components have some visible slop when moved or pushed, but overall the construction is solid. The sides of the links are polished.

What I really like- I really like this watch. The price is hard to beat-at under $300 you can get this watch with a Miyota 8215. It arrived in a little over a week from Hong Kong and although it lacked a box and formal documentation, it is a great budget piece and one of the only homages that I am aware of that offers the attractive look of the Comex subs/sea-dwellers. I know that a Steinhart Ocean model had the Comex look, but they are hard to find and in my opinion they do not offer vintage appointments like a smaller case size and traditional styling.

What I dont like-There is not a lot to complain about here. As a big fan of micro-brands like MKII I was skeptical of what I would get. It is obvious that much of the value I see in MKII pieces (meticulous QC, American or Swiss assembled, ETA movements etc..) is not present here, but for the price, it makes for a great daily wear piece that has some killer looks.

One word of caution. This one is only water resistant to 100m, which for me is totally fine. I did notice on the tiger site that they mentioned that all watches are water resistant to 10atm and that any and all claims on the dial are for decoration purposes only. For me this wasn't a big deal as 10m=10atm, however; Tiger does have a few models out there with higher "rated" water resistance on the dials. From my understanding the resistance will always be 100m no matter what is on the dial.

Enjoy-you can find this one and many other sub style variants at tiger-concept.com
    Nice write up. I think you have a typo as I think 100m (not 10) =10atm. Also how is the lum?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    All the best,

-Jimi

[QUOTE=ctlawyer;45220707]Nice write up. I think you have a typo as I think 100m (not 10) =10atm. Also how is the lum?

You are correct! I will fix the typo and I will add the thoughts on the lume as well.

The lume is not great-which I had heard from other Tiger owners. I took a black light to the dial and it definitley charges up, but it does not last long and it is not super bright.
    MKII Nassau
    MKII Key West GMT

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by rudarb2990 View Post

Case and Crystal-the case is a standard oyster configuration. Its got the look and feel of a sub and the size is right on (Tiger says the case diameter is 39.3mm). I have really began to move towards models with a more traditional case size. Many homage subs come in at 42mm, which for me is slightly too big, at 39mm it is the perfect size and is a more historically accurate size for a homage diver. Case finishing appears to be good, polished sides and matte areas on the top and bottom of the lugs. The crown is a typical oyster style, screw down and easy to make adjustments. The Miyota movement is smooth winding and easy to set the time. The crystal is a domed mineral glass. I really appreciate the vintage appeal of the acrylic/mineral glass crystals. Although a cheaper option it makes for a nice vintage touch and the dome is refreshing in a market dominated by flat sapphire crystals.

Bezel and Dial- Standard aluminum insert bezel, 120 clicks, easy to rotate and the bezel serrations make the bezel easy to grip and turn. The dial has a very typical submariner style layout. The lume plots are nicely placed and appear to be spot on-they have a great "maxi" look. The dial is matte black and it really looks good. To me, a good matte dial can really make a watch look great texture wise and this hits the mark. Good contrast in the sunlight or well lit areas-the picture doesn't do it justice. The writing on the dial is specific to Tiger-it is in the same 1665 three line style under the "CONCEPT" block, with text claiming the water resistance of 100m, self winding rotor, and the moniker of "Deep Marine Diver". The date window at the three o' clock position is well placed and you are able to see the date without any obstructions. Overall the dial is well executed and it fits the watch well.

One word of caution. This one is only water resistant to 100m, which for me is totally fine. I did notice on the tiger site that they mentioned that all watches are water resistant to 10atm and that any and all claims on the dial are for decoration purposes only. For me this wasn't a big deal as 10m=10atm, however; Tiger does have a few models out there with higher "rated" water resistance on the dials. From my understanding the resistance will always be 100m no matter what is on the dial.

Nice write up. I think you have a typo as I think 100m (not 10) =10atm. Also how is the lum?

All the best,

-Jimi

[QUOTE=rudarb2990;45220755]
    Quote Originally Posted by ctlawyer View Post

You are correct! I will fix the typo and I will add the thoughts on the lume as well.

The lume is not great-which I had heard from other Tiger owners. I took a black light to the dial and it definitley charges up, but it does not last long and it is not super bright.
    I figured as much, but it is an attractive watch. Enjoy!

All the best,

-Jimi

A small red dot in Asia on the Earth's equator.

Nice review from OP.
    Timex | Casio | Fellman | Invicta | Rodina | Glycine | Bulova | Leyden | Richard Legrand | Alexander James | Victorinox | Fifty Four | Dan Henry | Mondaine | Tiger Concept | Tisell | Scurfa | Helgray | Nezumi | Hamtun | Seiko | Vratislavia Conceptum | Manchester Watch Works | Orient | WUS F71 | Silver | Borealis | Aevig | Citizen | Steinhart | Nth | Armida | Ball | Rolex

Been waiting ages for a review of this! I'm tempted by one of these. Any chance of some head on pics? I'm trying to work out if the lugs are asymmetrical or not...

More pictures...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dec1968 and Remior like this.
    MKII Nassau
    MKII Key West GMT

Can you get a good clean shot of the underside of the lugs and end links?

Thanks!

Now I want one. Dammit.

Follow me on Instagram- @Dec1968watches

A small red dot in Asia on the Earth's equator.

Quote Originally Posted by Dec1968 View Post
    Can you get a good clean shot of the underside of the lugs and end links?

Thanks!

Now I want one. Dammit.

Follow me on Instagram- @Dec1968watches
    +1
    Dec1968 likes this.
    Timex | Casio | Fellman | Invicta | Rodina | Glycine | Bulova | Leyden | Richard Legrand | Alexander James | Victorinox | Fifty Four | Dan Henry | Mondaine | Tiger Concept | Tisell | Scurfa | Helgray | Nezumi | Hamtun | Seiko | Vratislavia Conceptum | Manchester Watch Works | Orient | WUS F71 | Silver | Borealis | Aevig | Citizen | Steinhart | Nth | Armida | Ball | Rolex

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information