Gallet Flight Officer watch - Tuskegee
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: Gallet Flight Officer watch - Tuskegee

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Question Gallet Flight Officer watch - Tuskegee

Hey everyone,

I was recently given a Gallet watch, which after some research I found out it is a Gallet Flight Officer watch. It belonged to my Grandfather who was a flight instructor for the Tuskegee airmen. He was also the base commander (from what I am told) for a certain stint at Maxwell Army Air Field. I have his flight Log Book as well as pictures of him with the Airmen. I was told that during or shortly after the war he replaced the leather strap with the one on it currently (he hated leather wrist straps). The watch has not been restored at all, but is in perfect working condition. I was curious if anyone could give me some more information on it. Are these watches rare? I really haven't been able to find out much information on them. Thanks for your help!

Scott

Banned

Re: Gallet Flight Officer watch - Tuskegee

Nice!!!
    Please do not over restore it. Just a service and a gentle cleaning of the dal.
    And please replace that metal bracelet if you plan to wear it. It damages the lugs badly. Just keep the bracelet safe in your watch drawer.

Try contacting Gallet directly. I have good luck contacting some manufactures in regard to my timepieces, with Longines and O&W being real standouts.

Here is their web site: Gallet Watch Company - Chronograph Home Page

And here is the contact page:

Gallet - NAWCC Museum Edition Flying Officer

It looks like a fantastic watch! You're very lucky to have inherited it.
    Last edited by Strela; August 22nd, 2012 at 02:40.
    Стрела

Russian Watch Forum, Rolex & Tudor Watch Forum, & Pilot's and Military Watch Forum Moderator

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Got a reply from Gallet. This is what they had to say.

"Great Watch! If your watch has four compression screws on the reverse, you have one of the rare 1st series Gallet Flight Officer models that were a favorite of the Tuskegee Airmen. The exciting black, white and orange dial was exclusive to the African-American Tuskegees in the early US Army Air Forces and is rarely ever seen. While the dial is quite tarnished from over 70 years of use, it is best to leave it un-restored to protect the collectable value of this wonderful piece. Congratulations on your great inheritance."

Given that there were only 994 total pilots to Graduate and even less instructors, I have to imagine this is one of the only Tuskegee Gallet Flight Officer watches left in existence. Would I be way off to assume that?

Banned

Nice to get the info from Gallet. I think you can assume you watch is one of s few left.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Nice to get the info from Gallet. I think you can assume you watch is one of s few left.
    One more reply from Gallet Watch company. This is really cool to find this out!

"Hi Scott, Notice the similarity in the color scheme of the P-51 (above)as flown by the Tuskegee Airman and the color red, silver, and black color scheme of the dial of your watch. Just like the famous "Red Tail" of the Tuskegee's bombers, your watch is called the Flight Officer "Red Tail". We at Gallet Watch have heard of this version from Bernard Gallet before his passing, but have never actually seeen one. If you would like to have your grandfather's story and your watch included in the big upcoming Gallet book, contact us through the GalletWatch.com website. Regards, David Laurence at Gallet"

Apparently this is so rare that not even the people at Gallet have seen one but only heard about them. Crazy that this has been sitting in a drawer for probably 50 years.
    charger02 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott K. View Post
    One more reply from Gallet Watch company. This is really cool to find this out!

"Hi Scott, Notice the similarity in the color scheme of the P-51 (above)as flown by the Tuskegee Airman and the color red, silver, and black color scheme of the dial of your watch. Just like the famous "Red Tail" of the Tuskegee's bombers, your watch is called the Flight Officer "Red Tail". We at Gallet Watch have heard of this version from Bernard Gallet before his passing, but have never actually seeen one. If you would like to have your grandfather's story and your watch included in the big upcoming Gallet book, contact us through the GalletWatch.com website. Regards, David Laurence at Gallet"

Apparently this is so rare that not even the people at Gallet have seen one but only heard about them. Crazy that this has been sitting in a drawer for probably 50 years.
    Great to hearwhat Gallet have to say, though I was cringing to read of the Tuskegee "bombers" ...

In any case, a great piece of history.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Banned

Those "bombers" were lucky. Never went into action I believe.
    Those brave boys i the Bomber Command ( UK and US) had horrific attrition rate....

A thought, OP: I appreciate it is a Family Heirloom, but maybe you should consider to borrow it to an appropiate Museum?
    ( not give, just borrow)
    It is an important piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    Those "bombers" were lucky. Never went into action I believe.
    Those brave boys i the Bomber Command ( UK and US) had horrific attrition rate....

A thought, OP: I appreciate it is a Family Heirloom, but maybe you should consider to borrow it to an appropiate Museum?
    ( not give, just borrow)
    It is an important piece.
    I will consider doing that. Although, given that I only just received this watch on Monday I would like to enjoy it for a little while. Plus I would like to find a little more out about the "Red Tail" version. For example... How many were manufactured or sold, how many do they think are still in existence, and what type of value does it have (insurance purposes).

Does the 1-12 bezel rotate? If so, this would be the oldest use of the bezel as a simple second timezone that I am aware of ...
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information