Hand wind, center second hand, display back Pilot watch?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By sduford
  • 1 Post By freight dog

Thread: Hand wind, center second hand, display back Pilot watch?

Hand wind, center second hand, display back Pilot watch?

10 months ago, I set out to get a Pilot watch. Instead I ended up with an Archimede Klassik, Seiko SSC017 and an Omega Speedmaster.

I promised my wife no more watches , but the itch for a Pilot watch still hasn't been scratched. So less than a month after getting the Speedy, I'm looking at Pilot watches once again.

Attributes I'm looking for:
    • Brushed case (think Stowa, Archimede, not Laco)
    • ~42mm diameter
    • Simple dial (again, think Stowa)
    • Center second hand
    • Hand wind (modified Unitas 649x?)
    • Display back

From reading the forum, it appears that modified 649x movements with center seconds is VERY rare, but still exist. Can anyone let me know if this exists?

Re: Hand wind, center second hand, display back Pilot watch?

The only one I know is the Tourby Aviator CS with a modified 6497. Very nice watch.

http://tourbywatches.com/shop/catego...aram=cid%3D%26

I somehow managed to post this despite using Tapatalk.
    Archimede Pilot 42H, Chr.Ward C60 Trident Pro, Dan Henry 1964 GT, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Melbourne Flinders & Portsea, Orient Bambino, PerpetuaL R-01, Seiko's SRPC93 & SNE498, Szanto 1204, Traser H3 Classic Master, Vostok Amphibia, WUS F72 GMT.

Web: Crown & Rotor, IG: @crownandrotor FB: @crownandrotor

Quote Originally Posted by sduford View Post
    The only one I know is the Tourby Aviator CS with a modified 6497. Very nice watch.
    Thanks, I saw that after my initial post. Very nice watch for sure... and the price reflects it!

The Tourby Aviator B3c decorated with center second is 1300 Euro.
    The Tourby Aviator B3c decorated with small second hand is 680 Euro.

That's almost a 100% premium! I know hand-wind movements aren't as popular as automatics, and I wonder if there will one day be enough demand for ETA to make a 649x with a center second standard.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by superhero View Post
    Thanks, I saw that after my initial post. Very nice watch for sure... and the price reflects it!

The Tourby Aviator B3c decorated with center second is 1300 Euro.
    The Tourby Aviator B3c decorated with small second hand is 680 Euro.

That's almost a 100% premium! I know hand-wind movements aren't as popular as automatics, and I wonder if there will one day be enough demand for ETA to make a 649x with a center second standard.
    The modification for the center seconds is not trivial, hence the hefty premium.
    mebiuspower likes this.
    Archimede Pilot 42H, Chr.Ward C60 Trident Pro, Dan Henry 1964 GT, Hamilton Intra-Matic, Melbourne Flinders & Portsea, Orient Bambino, PerpetuaL R-01, Seiko's SRPC93 & SNE498, Szanto 1204, Traser H3 Classic Master, Vostok Amphibia, WUS F72 GMT.

Web: Crown & Rotor, IG: @crownandrotor FB: @crownandrotor

Tourby Aviator CS with a modified 6497
    Great suggestion.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

how much is your budget?

here the options:

Tourby Watches 1300€
    Chronoswiss 5400€ (used models are available for 2500€ - 3000€ on the market)
    Wempe Pilot 0000€ (sold out but used models are available for 2500€ on the market)
    Azimuth 3000-3500€ (a little bit pricy for this watches - they use similar watch case like Steinhart)

If you can wait it out or keep an eye out for a used one, Stowa sometimes offers a flieger with a 2801 movement, much less expensive than a modified 6497/6498. Currently their stock of 2801’s seems to be tied up in the Black Forest flieger (for which I am happily early in line), but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it offered again in a standard flieger. Unfortunately, it may be a good wait. Oh yes, 40mm cases, not 42 but the dial dominates the watch and it wears very nice! Otherwise, the only option I would consider is a Tourby.

To me, small second hands belong only in fashion watches or chronographs.
    alfred.newman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by German Collector View Post
    how much is your budget?

here the options:

Tourby Watches 1300€
    Chronoswiss 5400€ (used models are available for 2500€ - 3000€ on the market)
    Wempe Pilot 0000€ (sold out but used models are available for 2500€ on the market)
    Azimuth 3000-3500€ (a little bit pricy for this watches - they use similar watch case like Steinhart)
    Unfortunately my budget is more in the $1,000 range. This will likely be a weekend watch when I'm not wearing my beater Seiko.

Quote Originally Posted by freight dog View Post
    If you can wait it out or keep an eye out for a used one, Stowa sometimes offers a flieger with a 2801 movement, much less expensive than a modified 6497/6498. Currently their stock of 2801’s seems to be tied up in the Black Forest flieger (for which I am happily early in line), but I wouldn’t be surprised to see it offered again in a standard flieger. Unfortunately, it may be a good wait. Oh yes, 40mm cases, not 42 but the dial dominates the watch and it wears very nice! Otherwise, the only option I would consider is a Tourby.

To me, small second hands belong only in fashion watches or chronographs.
    Used would be ideal, but if I'm not mistaken, Stowa modified 649x were scarce while new, I can't imagine how rare they would be on the secondary market.

I'd consider a 2801 as a last option, you have to admit, part of the appeal of getting a 649x movement is the big glass back showing off the big movement.

Thread Information