Help finding a watch with very specific features

Thread: Help finding a watch with very specific features

Help finding a watch with very specific features

I am having trouble finding the exact watch I have pictured in my head. It might not even exist. However, if anyone knows of anything close to what I'm looking for, the help would be appreciated!

I am really trying to find one that displays multiple time zones with a rotating bezel to allow for it to display the time in any of the 24-hour time-zones. Preferably one with major cities (New York, Chicago, Denver, ect.)

I would also like it to have an E6b if possible without making the time difficult to read (some of the watches I've looked at with an E6b seem to make it difficult to read the time).

Also, I would like a watch that is more formal-looking at well. I really like the skeleton-like design as seen here, for example. However, I don't want the design to get in the way of actually reading the time.

I have found alot of watches with an E6b, and alot with all 24 times zones with the major cities, but I have yet to find one with them combined.

Also, to anyone that has an E6b watch: how often do you actually find yourself using the E6b in the cockpit for general aviation?

Thanks in advance!

Re: Help finding a watch with very specific features

Quote Originally Posted by algoespanol View Post

Also, to anyone that has an E6b watch: how often do you actually find yourself using the E6b in the cockpit for general aviation?
    Absolutely NEVER. If you can dick around with that in the cockpit of GA aircraft you have fabulous eyesight and are flying is air that is so still, well you get the picture. If you must do airborne calcs, get an (big) andoid phone with one of the hundreds of free apps. Or if you must use a mechanical E6B, get a big one - they are about $15 or so. The E6B on watches looks cool, but is by and large useless in any practical sense. Yes, I have such a watch and really like it, but I don't kid myself about its (real) functionality. Others have responded that they use the E6B for other calcs on the ground, a $5 calculator is a better option.

Having a timer on the watch is useful possibly, but again, when I fly have have a big-ish digital timer (about $10). Use the watch to tell the time, and possibly a UTC timezone, there are much better and cheaper tools to do the other stuff.

Again, I have a watch with E6B, multiple timezones, alarms, counters etc etc, but it's just because I like the look of the watch and it keeps good time, the functions in GA aircraft are generally impractical. I don't know how much GA flying you have done, but it didn't take me too long to figure out what would be useful and what would not.

So my top couple of features (for GA) would be:

1. Easy time readability - at a glance
    2. Second (UTC) timezone
    3. Possibly count up/down timer

Of course, YMMV...

KB

KOB- That is what I was expecting the answer to be about using such a small E6b in the cockpit, though I've never been able to try it myself, so thanks for the advice! In that case, does anyone know of a more formal looking watch (preferably with a skeleton-like design) that is still easy to read and has worldtime (not just a GMT hand).

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by algoespanol View Post
    KOB- That is what I was expecting the answer to be about using such a small E6b in the cockpit, though I've never been able to try it myself, so thanks for the advice! In that case, does anyone know of a more formal looking watch (preferably with a skeleton-like design) that is still easy to read and has worldtime (not just a GMT hand).
    As I said, I have a watch with all the 'stuff' on it (don't use the 'stuff' just like the watch) - Citizen JY8020-52E Super Pilot - Yes, it is full of stuff, I just like it (and has the UTC dial plus multiple timezones, atomic time - if you are close enough to a base station, plus eco drive, plus perpetual calender etc etc).

I also have a Steinhart Nav-B Chrono 47mm with the ValJour (sp) 7750 movement - the other end of the spectrum. A very elegant pilot chrono, but no additional timezones etc and, being mechanical, you need to adjust the time - mine is about 2.5s fast/day which is damned good, and the calendar as required. I just feel it is a bit too good to clunk around where it might get scratched (and it isn't waterproof - not a big issue, but you never know). Burt it is easily readable, has good lume and is just, well, elegant - note how none of the sub-dials eat into the numbers, that's a nice touch. Decorated movement with see through caseback.

Cheers,
    KB

So, yeah, two watches. One dive watch for the cockpit, one E6b ana-digi worldtimer for travel, flight planning, and especially the kind of very quick rough feasibility planning I do when doing coastguard air ops. In my case, a Deep Blue diver (that I don't really like, and will replace one day soon) and a Citizen Skyhawk (that I'd replace instantly as it's my everyday watch... probably with a Super Pilot like the one above).

Thread Information