Help on GG-W-113 Watch

Thread: Help on GG-W-113 Watch

Help on GG-W-113 Watch

Hi, I have just received this oldie today, purchased over the bay.

Please could you tell me what movement should be inside this watch?

the back reads GG-W-113, MFR Part XZ70365 Serial 019332 date July 1971. It does not currently hack. The dial is convex.
    I will open the watch later today. Through the glass. Could you tell if the crown stem comes out with pressure, or if it is of the type that you must set in an angle and then turn the dial a little (10 degrees)

I hope to get some help. Also waht crystal is right? This watch has a flat plastic (not dome) without inner ring.

As said, any help will be welcome. I want to check becuse the watch is slighty different from the ones you see on the Web.

many thanks in advance
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mike.
    Last edited by Mike.; May 22nd, 2011 at 00:17.

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Re: Help on GG-W-113 Watch

I hope I am wrong, but you might find a Chinese movement in there.

The original Benrus has a wedge-ledge type crystal (no tension ring) and a Benrus DF2F2 movement.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks Lysander for the info. I accessed the movement yesterday and I will post my conclusions later today, so my experience will help others... You were pointing to the right direction (almost)

FAKE GG-W-113 revealed

Hi Everybody,

as promised, I went through to open the watch...

I am new to the military watches, but have been repairing and collecting watches a while now.
    Here's what I found:
    Conclusions:
    1. The crown/stem was not of the male/female used in these fornt loader cases, so in order to remove the movement I had to fasten the stem and manually unscreww the crown.
    2. The movement inside is signed RADO, and it is a calibre FHF 73-4N, a known swiss workhorse and not a chinese junk. Nevertheless, a GG-W-113 of this MFR should had have a Benrus DR2 F2 as I have learned these days (see picture)
    3. The dial is GLUED!!! to the movement. This I have not removed, because surely the posts must have been removed/ filed away to match the movement (see picture)
    4. Last, upon closer inspection, the hands have been repainted (splashed). The loupe revealed that the appearance of aged lume was achieved using some hues of green paint.
    I paid USD40, that is fair for the case which I think is original and a new NATO strap.
    but it is sad that these fakes are being sold all over, specially when you want to have an original piece.
    What do you think?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lightbulb Re: Help on GG-W-113 Watch

Hi Eddy,

I am currently trying to authenticate a Benrus GG-W-113 that I received for Christmas from my girlfriend. It does not hack, which sets off red flags to me. It also has a serial number 3 away from yours... Would you mind PM-ing me the name of the seller of your watch from ebayland? I don't have the tools or knowledge to open the watch myself to check for the DR 2F2, and the seller has already agreed to refund, but I worry that I'm overreacting when there might be a simple fix for my authentic watch. If it's the same seller, it's going back. If PM doesn't work, I'll send you my email somehow. Rather not list someone's eBay on a public forum.

Thanks!

And thanks to lysander/lysanderxiii (I assume you are the same person), you've been instrumental to my relentless search for information about a watch that I actually knew very little about.

Hi, Hoov23

I will not post the name of the seller because he was fair to me in a way. When I asked on the movement, he said he knew it was of a lesser brand.
    Being my first Vietnam's I read a lot and hoped the 'lesser brand' could be a Belforte mov. sometimes used by Benrus as second brand. I bid and went off with a reasonable price. My hopes vanished when I opened the watch. Since then, I managed to get an original Benrus D2F2 movement,and an original dial, and reassembled the watch. After my analysis, at least the case was original, The issue of the serial brings doubt, but still you can come across brothers (I have two Eterna-matics only a couple of digits away!) As told, i think at least the case is original, and I now have a decent put together GG-W-113. I have come to understand that 95% of all vietnam watches on Ebay are perhaps faked or put together. You could have it opened by a watchmaker before returning. Hack feature depends on a small lever that could be missing or broken.Also, a modern movement could be hack without being original. A no- hack would be a DTU/2 rather than a GG-W-113. But for sure, return it, and only buy when the seller exposes the movement and you can have the picture checked by someone who knows. Hope this to be useful. Best regards Eddy

Well, these watches are still out there.......

I bought a watch just about the spitting image of the one in this thread. I like the way it looks and it runs good but I see now that it is a fake. I have no skills to take the watch apart to see what is in there. I still like the watch even though it isn't what it was represented to be and am going to keep it. If I had found this site/thread beforehand and saw this I would have known to pass it up. It was an impulse buy and when I saw it I thought, "hey, I remember those". Thanks for the great site and the information.
    Last edited by adot45; November 29th, 2012 at 15:20.

Thread Information