Interesting BBC News Item Ref Time & Navagation

Thread: Interesting BBC News Item Ref Time & Navagation

Interesting BBC News Item Ref Time & Navagation

Morning All...

Just found and finished reading a very informative BBC post regarding precision timing and navigaation that I thought worth pointing out.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7360762.stm

Regards From Colorado,

Tony

Re: Interesting BBC News Item Ref Time & Navagation

At least it explains why my watches are wrong to somebody else......................"relativistic Doppler effect", need I say more

Banned

I want one of those clocks! " Dr Pultr, that is an interesting clock you have on the desk. Is it a Quartz?" " No, Miss Bodden, it is a Passive Hydrogen Maser".
    But I guess it would be much cheaper to buy a Patek with lots af complications!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Interesting news feature - especially the relativity effects. Next time I'm driving past someone at a bus-stop I'll be worried about my watch running slow compared to the observer, but smug in the knowledge that I'm aging slower than them! Not much chance of going up to a 32,000 km orbit though

Minutes are the Milestones of Aviation - Fred, in 'Fools and Birds Fly'

I'll never forget teaching one of my helicopter flight students all the forms of navigation. This was twelve years ago. He was a literal rocket scientist for Hughes. He saterted explaining to me the GPS satellite system and how they used Einstein's General Theory of Relativity to advance the atomic clocks on those things. I was amazed.
    You learn the neatest stuff from your students
    YOU ARE
    WHAT YOU DO
    WHEN IT COUNTS

Dennis Smith

24 Hour Forum Moderator

2010 AirNautic Early Bird (#1&#50)
    Hamilton 1968 Chronograph
    Rolex GMT Master II Pepsi
    Custom-dialed Ginault Ocean Rover
    AirNautic AN24
    Muhle SAR

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Smith View Post
    I'll never forget teaching one of my helicopter flight students all the forms of navigation. This was twelve years ago. He was a literal rocket scientist for Hughes. He saterted explaining to me the GPS satellite system and how they used Einstein's General Theory of Relativity to advance the atomic clocks on those things.
    So you mean the current GPS works along the same lines as the new superGPS? Interesting! So why in H..l are they wasting all that money developing new advanced technology, that will do the same job?
    They mention low precision, but that is bu.....t, I have several times piloted my boat through a channel in the reef, in the middle of the night, when most of the buys were not working! And my GPS is an ordinary Garmin depthfinder/GPS combo, not a military grade super machine!

Quote Originally Posted by Janne View Post
    So you mean the current GPS works along the same lines as the new superGPS? Interesting! So why in H..l are they wasting all that money developing new advanced technology, that will do the same job?
    They mention low precision, but that is bu.....t,
    The main reason for this development is to have a GPS network independent of the current one, which is controlled by the US military and subject to accuracy changes during times of conflict etc. The accuracy available to non - military users is less than that available to the military ( 3 meters as opposed to 1, I think ), since they control the level of accuracy. The above two issues has implications for many potential GPS applications such as airport GPS approaches becoming the standard for example. A system independent of the US military offering the same level of accuracy ( and not subject to being switched off or degraded ) and available for a host of commercial and civilian applications is therefore quite an attractive prospect.
    Last edited by whifferdill; April 27th, 2008 at 13:05.

Minutes are the Milestones of Aviation - Fred, in 'Fools and Birds Fly'

Thread Information