Looking for an affordable "rugged pilot watch".
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Looking for an affordable "rugged pilot watch".

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Looking for an affordable "rugged pilot watch".

I would love to get some suggestions on a new watch. I currently wear a Citizen Nighthawk on a Nato strap as my daily watch and whilst I love it to bits (having a sliderule is unbelivably handy), I'm looking to pick up a more rugged watch for sailing, hiking, etc.

I love the resco or ball watches but they're very expensive, and I'm not too fond of the current casio g-shock designs even though I know they're built like tanks (my 10+ year old G-Shock still works just fine). I like the aesthetics of the Luminox models but having searched around the forums it seems they can be a bit hit-and-miss when it comes to quality.

Here are my requirments:
    - Priced around the $200-250 mark.
    - Materials - not overly concerned whether the watch is metallic or resin as long as it is tough and will take some abuse (especially when sailing).
    - Good lume. Tritium would be nice but not essential.
    - Reliability.

Optional:
    - GMT/dual time-zone would be appreciated. I use GMT a lot at work and its handy not having to think about the conversion.
    - 22mm lug width if possible just so I can use my existing straps.

Looking forward to getting some suggestions and thanks for your help.

Anyone? Or are my requirements far too ambitious?

CMOWE (Central Madhouse Of Western Europe)

Re: Looking for an affordable "rugged pilot watch".

When it comes down to analog watches, I'm a firm believer that "less is better", so I usually stick to three hands only. If that is something you can agree with, then why not getting a Seiko 5 out of the "Big Military" series? They are cheap, but rugged as hell and the movement (7s36) is known to be a nearly indestructible work horse. The lug width is 22m so you fit your straps onto it and the lume is outstanding and lats the whole night. Here two pictures of my SNZ-G09 on an aftermarket desert tan 22mm zulu maratac:

Honestly, if you really need more than only telling the time, go digital. Digitals are far easier to set and to operate when it comes to additional functions.

cheers
    Last edited by cal..45; September 8th, 2012 at 19:13.
    We are 12.6 %

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Traser P6600.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Maratac Pilot.

22mm lugs and crazy lume. Known to be one of the best bang for buck deals out there. It even has a bronze movement retainer!! Thats unheard of at that price point ($190 new). Very reliable as well.

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

Where does one order Maratac watches? I'm not in the US and it took some searching to find a reseller to ship me a zulu straps. My big worry with a metal case is that if I hit it against something (quiet likely when sailing) it'd deform and look terrible afterwards. I have also been looking at the Casio GA100 and Luminox Pointman as I quiet like the blackout styling and would like to add something similar to my collection but again, I'm open-minded and looking for a vareity of suggestions.

cal45: Definitely agree with you that analog watches should be as plain as possible, but I do find certain complications like GMT to be very handy.

Quote Originally Posted by nsx_23 View Post
    Where does one order Maratac watches? I'm not in the US and it took some searching to find a reseller to ship me a zulu straps. My big worry with a metal case is that if I hit it against something (quiet likely when sailing) it'd deform and look terrible afterwards. I have also been looking at the Casio GA100 and Luminox Pointman as I quiet like the blackout styling and would like to add something similar to my collection but again, I'm open-minded and looking for a vareity of suggestions.

cal45: Definitely agree with you that analog watches should be as plain as possible, but I do find certain complications like GMT to be very handy.
    The case is steel. So not any more or less dent resistant than other steel cases in that price bracket. It is what it is.

Finding one is the US is hard enough, but international? Yikes. Probably second market only. Hunt ebay and watchrecon regularly. Hopefully one will pop up (at a decent price) soon.

Good luck.

Sent via Tapatalk

(Dedicated to the pink tiger stripe and the man behind it.)

I should have been more clear - I was comparing metal to resin in regards to impact marks.

There is one on ebay at the moment but its ridiculously overpriced. What else is around that is non-maratac and fits the bill?
    Last edited by nsx_23; September 9th, 2012 at 11:49.

Marathon navigator MIL-PRF-46374G watch.

Orient Excursionist GMT-22mm lugs,bomb-proof case,excellent time keeping & $160 online..excellent value.Do I win?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information