Need help selecting a watch

Thread: Need help selecting a watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need help selecting a watch

Hi,

I have been reading the forums for a few days. I'm very new to watches and this site so excuse me if this is not in the correct section.

I am looking for a pilot style watch which is thick (depth 13-16mm) and about 40mm diameter with a leather strap. It should be automatic at below $400 USD. I'm tired of batteries.

Also, is quartz battery operated? And what does Swiss quartz mean? What does
    Swiss Mechanical mean? What is a chronograph watch? What is a quartz chronograph watch?

Something that looks similar to this picture but also one that is not fake like this one is (scroll down):

I also like the look of this watch (again fake) from the same site (https://www.wernersflyingwatches.com....asp?ProID=325).

Then I was looking at a couple of Tissots which look affordable but are not thick. This is a nice Tissot but I think the depth is not thick and it also runs on batteries? It says ETA Swiss Quartz movement. No idea what that means.

I am also looking at this site: http://www.longislandwatch.com/ I see a nice Riedenschild Advance Pro Hand Wind Mechanical Chronograph Black Watch #1117-02-K04
    but it says hand wound? Hand wound??

Any watches on longislandwatch you can recommend to me? I see a TRIAS but don't know the quality of it. It says it has
    self-winding movements. What is that? Automatic?

I am really confused and not knowledgeable but getting thirsty to get a watch quickly. The more I look and read, the more difficult it gets. Any help appreciated.

Thank you very much!
    Last edited by whachudoin; June 21st, 2007 at 01:41.

Re: Need help selecting a watch

Can anybody help me?

Quartz means batteries...

Try looking at Valjoux/ETA chronos in that price range.

Like this:

http://www.bernardwatch.com/item/DJR75BR the same movement as the Omega Speedmater Reduced.

or this:

http://www.bernardwatch.com/item/ZOD2003A
    Стрела

Russian Watch Forum, Rolex & Tudor Watch Forum, & Pilots’ and Military Watch Forum Moderator

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by whachudoin View Post

Also, is quartz battery operated? And what does Swiss quartz mean? What does
    [FONT=Verdana]Swiss Mechanical mean? What is a chronograph watch? What is a quartz chronograph watch?
    A watch can be powered by a spring, and by electricity.
    A spring needs to be wound. This can be done by hand using the crown, or automatically by a weight turning around inside of the case. The weight is driven by movements of your wrist.
    A watch with a spring uses a kind of mini gearbox to control all the hands, and has a mechanical device (another tiny spring with a weight) to control the pace of the watch. This is what we normally call a 'mechanical' watch. If the spring is driven by a weight (rotor) we call it an 'automatic' since it winds 'automatically'.
    Electrically driven watches are powered by a battery. In an electric watch, the pace is controlled by a quartz crystal sending out a very high frequency. That's why we often call this type off watch a "quartz" watch.
    As you may have guessed, "Swiss" means that it was made in Switzerland. Technically speaking, this can also mean assembled, or that a certain percentage of the parts are Swiss made. For many people "Swiss" is still a guarantee of quality, but there are excellent watches and movements available that have never been near Switzerland.
    A chronograph watch has an extra complication that can record a certain period of time. Popularly called a "stopwatch" it can usually (but not always) be recognized by the extra buttons outside of the case to control the start/stop/reset of the chronograph, and by the extra hands to indicate the seconds/minutes and sometimes hours that have gone by since you started timing.

An automatic chronograph for less then $400 is going to be difficult, although maybe not completely impossible. You might want to consider a used watch.

Hope this helps, and please don't hesitate to ask further questions.
    Last edited by Ron Engels; June 23rd, 2007 at 13:32.
    Ron.

How about this one?

It's mechanical, and a chronograph. It has classic aviation style with a nice 12h bezel giving you a simple but effective way of indicating a second timezone. The movement is Russian made, but based on an old Swiss design, and has quite a good reputation for accuracy and reliability. You will need to wind it every day, since it is not an 'automatic'. Best of all it's brand new, and $1 below your $400 limit.

Ron.

Thanks for the help guys.

Ron: Are you saying that a mechanical watch will need to be hand wound? And that a quartz is more accurate than an automatic and a Swiss quartz is even better? This is what I understood.

Also what is Jewels? Is it the more jewels, the better the accuracy of the watch?

And what's with the replica watches? I accidentally found a site which has an IWC watch and it says: "Movement: mechanical, self-winding." <-- Does this mean it is an automatic then? How reliable will this watch be? Will all the 3 little circles (don't know the technical name) inside the watch work? It's less than $180 but I doubt I would want to get a replica.

I like the Junkers watch but don't know about winding it every day. :)

Thank you again.

Is Vostok Europe good? Looking at the Vostok Europe Automatic AN-225 Mryia Watch #5515037

http://www.longislandwatch.com/VE/VE_Watches_1.htm

i'll jump in to answer your questions:

in its simplest terms, a mechanical watch is any watch that is is powered by a mainspring. mechanical watches may be entirely manual (requiring hand-winding) or be automatic (in which a weighted rotor winds the mainspring - many automatics can also be manually hand-wound if desired). quartz, solar-powered watches,etc are not considered mechanical watches even though they may contain moving parts.

quartz watches are much more accurate than mechanical wacthes. this is because a crystal oscillator is used to determine time. it is possible to make somewhat accurate mechanical wristwatches but the tolerances & materials required means you pay a disportionate amount of money to achieve the same result. in other words a $20 quartz watch will outperform a $5000 mechanical watch in terms of time-keeping accuracy in most real world conditions.

the swiss have a very long history of watch-making. partly due to this and due to strict controls of what constitutes a swiss movement or a swiss-made watch, (the two do not mean the same thing), the branding 'Swiss' commands a certain cachet in the marketplace.

sorta like the way Cola-Cola is the acknowledged leader of cola sodas compared to small-label colas such as RC cola, etc. that is not to say that Japanese, German, etc watchmakers are inferior to Swiss made watch companies.

jewels play an important role in watch movements because proper usage of jewels help reduce friction and wear. depending on where the jewels are placed, a higher jewel count may or may not mean improved performance or longer running times so you should not rely on the jewel count to determine the quality of a movement.

btw, you can find out a lot of basic knowledge of watches and the various terms thru google, wikipedia,etc.

[edit] as far as what kind of watch you want to buy...there's a lot of different criteria. for starters, how much do you want to spend? do you want a watch that is very accurate and requires little to no adjusting? is there a particular style of watch that appeals to you?
    Last edited by Denizen; June 24th, 2007 at 06:27.

Thanks Denizen!
    Good info.

glad to help out. for many of us here, watches and watch collecting is a fascinating hobby. it can also be quite expensive if you're not careful! but expensive could be said about a lot of other hobbies, too.

ps. see my edit to my prior post if you missed it.

the internet is a huge source of info if you search for it. for example, here's just one link when you google about jewels.

http://elginwatches.org/help/watch_jewels.html

Quote Originally Posted by whachudoin View Post
    Thanks Denizen!
    Good info.
    Last edited by Denizen; June 24th, 2007 at 06:34.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information