New Precista PRS-10, a quick review, plenty of pics - Page 2
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: New Precista PRS-10, a quick review, plenty of pics

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: New Precista PRS-10, a quick review, plenty of pics

Quote Originally Posted by Fridayos View Post
    Nice review. Not a big fan of Quartz movements on pre-1970 Pilot/Military/Field homages, but Timefactors/Smiths does some of the most satisfying renditions.

I’m hoping they eventually decide to bring out a 40mm PRS29 with 20mm Lugs, Box Sapphire Crystal, Period CrowsFoot Dial, SuperLumiNova numerals/hands and a decent Date Option Auto 4K movement (preferably Swiss, maybe a SW200 or STP1-11). I’d have to find a way to have one even if I had to peddle my Smiths Everest to do it. Picture of the 36mm PRS29 is from their website. That would be one heck of a combination, I think.Attachment 14127171
    I believe the Precista G10s were always quartz.
    However Timefactors used to do the PRS-29B

https://www.timefactors.com/smithsprs29.htm

Which did have the 20mm lug spacing and 39mm diameter you want, i'm not too sure why it was discontinued though, I hear the lugs were pretty long. You may be able to find one used.

Quote Originally Posted by matt999 View Post
    That's really interesting, thanks for taking the time, there's not much out there on these yet.

I'm interested in legibility, both in the dark and the day time. You say the lume lasts all night, how bright would you say it is? Does it need much charging up? The Luminova X1 is meant to be good but opinions vary over whether its a huge improvement on the original stuff. Are the hands reflective or matt? They look shiny, does this help do you reckon? How is the overall legibility do you think?

cheers

Matt

I'd say legibility is excellent. The hands are polished but not overly so, in normal light they seem to match the bead blasted case, however at certain angles they do go shiny and reflect a good amount of light to stand out on the black background of the face.

The lume doesn't seem to need much to charge it up at all, if at home during the day i go from a sunlit room to a darker one, the lume definitely becomes noticeable even then.
    It does fade at night, however it's still decent enough to be able to tell the time.
    longstride likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppers View Post
    I'd say legibility is excellent. The hands are polished but not overly so, in normal light they seem to match the bead blasted case, however at certain angles they do go shiny and reflect a good amount of light to stand out on the black background of the face.

The lume doesn't seem to need much to charge it up at all, if at home during the day i go from a sunlit room to a darker one, the lume definitely becomes noticeable even then.
    It does fade at night, however it's still decent enough to be able to tell the time.
    Thanks, that sounds positive. I'm especially interested in night-time legibility - I currently wear a GW M5600 (I see you have one too) and using the light in the middle of the night often requires several presses of the button over several seconds before my eyes adjust sufficiently to the increased light level and I can then read the time. The right watch with decent lume could be a solution. There is a lot to like about this one.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Here, i did you a lume shot, the watch on the left is the Precista PRS-10 and on the right is a Pulsar PS9045X1, which being Pulsar probably uses Seiko's lumibrite.
    As you can see there's more lume on the Pulsar's dial and numbers, but the Precista's Super Luminova X1 C3 is almost as good and i'd say definitely a better application on the hands.

I'm not sure it would be better than a G-Shock's electro luminescent backlight though.

Name:  20190508_224516 (Large).jpg
Views: 59
Size:  101.5 KB
    Current Collection:
    Seiko Sarb035
    Tissot PRC 200 Chronograph
    Casio A168WA
    G-Shock GW-M5610
    Precista PRS-10S

Thanks for that. The lume on the hands does indeed look brighter than the Pulsar.

Actually, I've just looked again at your original pic with several watches and realised I was thinking about that Pulsar a while ago, how are you finding that one legibility wise? Sorry to bombard you with questions!

Actually, I've just looked again at your original pic with several watches and realised I was thinking about that Pulsar a while ago, how are you finding that one legibility wise? Sorry to bombard you with questions!
    To be honest it never got much wrist time, the lume is excellent, but legibility i'd say is nearly as good as a field watch can get, nice big 1 to 12 markers with smaller 24hr indices inside. The second hand is black which can make it a little hard to see, but there's a lollypop lumed counterweight on it for low light.

I put it in the sales section not long after receiving the Precista.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppers View Post
    To be honest it never got much wrist time, the lume is excellent, but legibility i'd say is nearly as good as a field watch can get, nice big 1 to 12 markers with smaller 24hr indices inside. The second hand is black which can make it a little hard to see, but there's a lollypop lumed counterweight on it for low light.

I put it in the sales section not long after receiving the Precista.
    It sounds like you quite liked it, I suppose you must just prefer the Precista.

It sounds like you quite liked it, I suppose you must just prefer the Precista.
    Yep, it's definitely an upgrade.

Thanks for great review! Thinking hard on this one. Any chance u can post any pics in outdoor sunlight? I'm trying to see if lack of AR coating impacts visibility much. Thanks!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information