The strap the watch comes fitted on
    Name:  P1010726 (Large).JPG
Views: 390
Size:  447.4 KB

The new double-dome box sapphire crystal:
    Name:  P1010727 (Large).JPG
Views: 403
Size:  170.6 KB

When I found out Timefactors were bringing out a new PRS-10, I decided I had to have one, since flipping my 36mm Smiths PRS-29 sometime ago I have been yearning for a small military field watch. The proportions of the PRS-29 were spot on but I babied the watch far too much, scared I would scratch and damage the acrylic crystal. The watch also lost 15+ seconds a day, within the tolerances of a ETA2801, but rather disappointing non-the less. Plus I’d often forget to wind it.

I’d previously considered a CWC G-10, but their prices have shot up ‘astronomically’ recently, and like with the (older) PRS-29 you’re stuck with fixed lug bars, which means you’re limited to Nato straps, one piece leather straps (if they can fit behind the fixed bars), or two piece clip-on leather straps.

The PRS-10 also has several advantages over the CWC, a 10 year batter life thanks to the Ronda 715 Li quartz movement, 20mm spring bars with drilled lug holes, a now new double-dome box sapphire crystal, and it’s significantly cheaper than what CWC offers for anywhere near the same spec.

The first thing I noticed about the PRS-10 was how weighty it felt in the hand, being a small watch I was expecting it to feel rather light, but this thing certainly feels solid. I was also expecting the 20mm lug width to be a bit too much for the 37.1mm diameter, but actually they suit it rather well and means I have endless strap options. The Super Luminova X1 C3 is certainly effective, it obviously isn’t Seiko diver bright but it definitely lasts the night. The bead blasting is smooth and consistent, and the watch had been set to the ‘exact’ time of my multi band 6 G-shock on delivery, a very nice touch (I’m a train driver so precision time keeping is well respected). You also get a nice Precista ‘P’ on the screw down crown.

Cons:
    I do wish the date window was black to match the rest of the dial, apparently with a previously released PRS-10 you could actually choose between a white and black background date wheel. The double dome box sapphire is very nicely done, but what could have taken it to the next level and really made it ‘pop’ would be for some nice blue AR coating under the crystal to catch the light. The second hand doesn’t hit the markers dead-on, but I’ve come to expect that with pretty much all quartz watches (except maybe extreme high-end ones). Finally the spring bar clearance is very tight to the body of the watch, to the point where it’s a bit of a challenge to get nylon Natos through, and might even fray them in the future, therefore one piece leather straps are out of the question. However to change this you’d probably have to extend the lugs, therefore changing the whole design of the watch.

In conclusion this is a very well done field watch, I must say I'm impressed. It respects the design and style of the old original, but has been improved upon massively, which you wouldn’t otherwise know from first glance. I don’t have to worry about changing the battery for a decade, it has 100 metres of water resistance, the double-dome box sapphire crystal will resist most knocks and scratches while adding a touch of class. It’s 20mm lugs allows for plenty of strap options (pics below), with drilled holes for quick and easy changes. Most of all it feels like it’s built to last and it’s also remained bang on time with my multi band 6 G-shock for the few days I’ve owned it.

Pheonix bond nato:
    Name:  P1010735 (Large).JPG
Views: 378
Size:  522.2 KB

Timefactors green nato:
    Name:  P1010736 (Large).JPG
Views: 367
Size:  462.1 KB

Timefactors coyote nato:
    Name:  P1010739 (Large).JPG
Views: 375
Size:  547.9 KB

Timefactors braided nato:
    Probably the most comfortable nato i've ever had, thanks to the unlimited adjustability
    Name:  P1010741 (Large).JPG
Views: 366
Size:  601.8 KB

Timefactors black nato:
    Name:  P1010744 (Large).JPG
Views: 372
Size:  616.9 KB

Darlena mottled black/brown strap (worn):
    My current favourite, i think it gives the watch a very 'Band of Brothers' look
    Name:  P1010746 (Large).JPG
Views: 362
Size:  579.0 KB

Darlena mottled black/brown strap (new):
    Name:  P1010759 (Large).JPG
Views: 355
Size:  546.4 KB

Wrist shot:
    On my 6.75" wrist
    Name:  P1010764 (Large).JPG
Views: 378
Size:  247.7 KB
    Last edited by Choppers; April 27th, 2019 at 14:52.
    Current Collection:
    Seiko Sarb035
    Tissot PRC 200 Chronograph
    Casio A168WA
    G-Shock GW-M5610
    Precista PRS-10S

Re: New Precista PRS-10, a quick review, plenty of pics

Nicely done!

Name:  G10-12.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  442.6 KB

...my 1980 CWC G-10 checking in.
    Longstride.

Anonimo/Sinn/Kobold/O&W
    CWC/Rolex/MKII/Seiko/Fortis

Very nice review. I just picked up mine today and I am very satisfied as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Nice review.
    This is probably my next purchase.
    The Even More Greatly Diminished WishList: Precista PRS-3 (upcoming quartz versioin Black or Blue); Sinn: 104 Black, Blue or Anthracite. Both of these, and I'm done. Really.

Thanks for the thorough review, nicely done.

Of all the straps you have illustrated, my favourate is the Darlena mottled black/brown strap once it has been aged thru being worn.
    Camguy likes this.

Forgot to also add a comparison shot...
    PRS-10S with Pulsar PS9045X1, Seiko Sarb035, and G-Shock GW-M5610

Name:  P1010786 (Large).JPG
Views: 231
Size:  607.2 KB
    Munchie likes this.
    Current Collection:
    Seiko Sarb035
    Tissot PRC 200 Chronograph
    Casio A168WA
    G-Shock GW-M5610
    Precista PRS-10S

I like that it has a date window but still has that vintage aesthetic.

Nice review. Not a big fan of Quartz movements on pre-1970 Pilot/Military/Field homages, but Timefactors/Smiths does some of the most satisfying renditions.

I’m hoping they eventually decide to bring out a 40mm PRS29 with 20mm Lugs, Box Sapphire Crystal, Period CrowsFoot Dial, SuperLumiNova numerals/hands and a decent Date Option Auto 4K movement (preferably Swiss, maybe a SW200 or STP1-11). I’d have to find a way to have one even if I had to peddle my Smiths Everest to do it. Picture of the 36mm PRS29 is from their website. That would be one heck of a combination, I think.Name:  19A08DFC-2CF0-4110-89FD-260F1F9C0186.jpeg
Views: 201
Size:  59.6 KB

Thanks for sharing. Nice classic watches and your right about babying the acrylic... I had my CWC before I started my watch hobby and it was probably the watch that started it all. It still has a lovely scratch right through the middle of the crystal

That's really interesting, thanks for taking the time, there's not much out there on these yet.

I'm interested in legibility, both in the dark and the day time. You say the lume lasts all night, how bright would you say it is? Does it need much charging up? The Luminova X1 is meant to be good but opinions vary over whether its a huge improvement on the original stuff. Are the hands reflective or matt? They look shiny, does this help do you reckon? How is the overall legibility do you think?

cheers

Matt

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information