Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Notes on the CWC G10 ‘Fat Boy’.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Notes on the CWC G10 ‘Fat Boy’.

Name:  G10.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  517.7 KB

CWC - G10 'Fat Boy' from 1980.

The Cabot Watch Company (CWC) is a great place to start a Military themed collection, in part because they have a genuine military issued provenance (with some models still issued through to this day) and they were often issued in sizable enough quantities to ensure that they are still at an accessible price point.

This write up is aimed at the General issue G10 Quartz, that was procured by the British MOD from 1980 through till the early 2000’s. Some batches of the G10 were produced by Prescista and Newmark but the originator of the design and the majority of production are by CWC.

The Quartz G10 was issued to all branches of the Military and due to its high degree of accuracy and general toughness/shock resistance it qualified as not only general issue but also as a ‘Navigator’ grade timepiece that was also used by Aircrews and the Royal Navy.

A timepiece used by either aircrew or ships navigators for navigation must have accuracy ‘to the second’ on a daily basis, one course correction (on instrument flying) or through a ship-board navigational sextant reading can mean miles of deviation from true position if the timepiece is out from ‘to the second’ timing.

From the late 1940’s through to the 1980’s the IWC and the Jaeger Le Coultre MK XI’s were the precision timepiece used in the RAF by Navigators. By the time of the 1980’s the maintenance demands and the innability to procure these watches from either IWC or JLC, not to mention the expense had made finding a replacement necessary.

Name:  G10-2.jpg
Views: 1473
Size:  504.3 KB

CWC General Service Electronic watch - on a G10 Strap.

CWC stepped in and used a high grade 7 jewel ESA Quartz movement in the original batch of G10’s issued in both 1980 and 1982. This 7 jewel movement had outstanding accuracy, good battery life, sufficient shock resistance to take a beating and not miss a beat, could easily fulfill Defense Standard 66-4/issue 4, 29th Feb 1980 (watch, wrist, electronic - General service) and was priced to not break the bank.

Name:  G10-3.jpg
Views: 1462
Size:  484.7 KB

The watch that I found recently came from the UK (Military Watch Trader) and was exactly what I was after, it was very clean, very original, one of the 1980 batch with the original (no circle) logo and has tritium lume that has aged beautifully.

Name:  G10-10.jpg
Views: 1452
Size:  477.9 KB

Name:  G10-4.jpg
Views: 1463
Size:  540.3 KB

Name:  G10-5.jpg
Views: 1436
Size:  371.2 KB

Name:  G10-8.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  367.0 KB

Name:  G10-9.jpg
Views: 1416
Size:  412.3 KB

A fair number of these watches saw service in the Falkland’s campaign and throughout the British armed forces…these original 80 and 82 watches are referred to as ‘Fat Boys’ because of the thickness of the ESA movement giving the case the nice chunky ‘Fat’ look that the later ETA Quartz powered variants did not have. Original Fat Boys are 13mm thick and the later production watches are 10mm thick.

Name:  Fat Boy and Standard.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  108.0 KB

Fat Boy with a standard G10.

Name:  G10-11.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  299.3 KB

Fat Boy stacked on CWC RN Quartz Diver.

Name:  G10-12.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  442.6 KB

The G10 is a great place to start a Military collection, the original 1980 Fat Boys are getting increasingly hard to find in clean original condition many were used continually over long periods of time.

Many examples that can be found from the Army for example have led hard life's as they were issued, returned to stores for a battery change/servicing then re-issued to soldiers in the field. Thousand's are still in service with the British Military to this day.

In conclusion I would say the CWC’s in general are a great ‘real world’ military timepiece to collect, the early G10’s were never intended as a ‘consumer product’ they were designed purely as a military ’tool’.

With their Tritium lume, their slightly antiquated look, their real military provenance and quartz movements mean's that early G10’s are priced right and with a little TLC can become a daily wearer for years to come.

Last edited by longstride; July 21st, 2017 at 23:39.
    simonp67, PHcare, avusblue and 6 others like this.
    Longstride.

Anonimo/Amphibia/Sinn/Kobold/O&W
    CWC/Rolex/MKII/Seiko/Fortis/Smith's

Re: Notes on the CWC G10 ‘Fat Boy’.

I love the G10 because it shows that "real" men don't have to wear 50mm watches.
    busmatt, scooby, TapAptPat and 1 others like this.

I think another thing I should have said in the writeup was how sculptural the case was, there is a real dramatic blend of lines where the case, lugs and crystal converge to produce a very pleasing mix....another aspect of this watch that makes it such a gem.

Name:  G10-11.jpg
Views: 1320
Size:  299.3 KB
    busmatt, brandon\ and Paul Ramon like this.
    Longstride.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I have also started to really like the 'universal' wearability of the G10 as an everyday or travel watch...a great piece.
    scooby and busmatt like this.
    Longstride.

Quote Originally Posted by vintageguy View Post
    I love the G10 because it shows that "real" men don't have to wear 50mm watches.
    That's why the UK military call them "G10 for men"
    busmatt likes this.

Nice writeup of a proven milspec watch.

Sent from my G3116 using Tapatalk
    longstride likes this.

I have kept my 1984 G10 in the collection because it is discretely flat, excellent dial clarity and accurate. Price was $125usd used.

I really like the readability of the dial! But why are there so many rusty dials in the Internet (for example, ebay.uk)? Quite weak water protection? And why is so strongly imprinted the pattern of the belt from behind? Soft metal?

Oygen- the water resistance of the G10 is only 3bar (30 meters) so if the watch is submerged deeper than that it will probably leak, older watches that have not been serviced (new seals) could leak with less water immersion.

The strap imprinting on the case back is common on many watches that are worn on ZULU's or NATO's, I think that grit or dust on the strap acts as an abrasive and the wear patterns show up over time. As the G10 is a military watch with fixed lug bars wear marks on the case back are very common.
    busmatt and Oygen like this.
    Longstride.

TapAptPat likes this.
    Longstride.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information