Pilot style chronograph choices - Glashutte Original Senator Navigator Chronograph or....

Thread: Pilot style chronograph choices - Glashutte Original Senator Navigator Chronograph or....

Pilot style chronograph choices - Glashutte Original Senator Navigator Chronograph or....

I am interested in obtaining a new chronograph, preferably pilot style. Several have caught my eye....

I really like the look of the GO Senator Navigator Chronograph, but don't have the opportunity to see it in person. It looks to be of very high quality, but at 44mm may be too big?

I looked at the Zenith Big Date Special Pilot, which looks well made, but I found the dial too fussy.

IWC also makes some fine looking pilot chronos, but seem very expensive considering the use of externally sourced movements (which many others do as well).

From an aesthetic point of view, I really like the look of the STOWA Flieger Chrono:

Flieger Chrono - STOWA GmbH & Co.KG

Are there some other outstanding high-quality pilot style chronographs to consider in the same league as GO that preferably have in-house movements?
    Glashutte Original Senator Navigator Panorama Date
    Rolex Explorer ref. 14270
    Heuer Carrera 12 Chronograph, vintage c1964
    Omega Chronometre, vintage c1946

Re: Pilot style chronograph choices - Glashutte Original Senator Navigator Chronograph or....

To me there are 2 categories of Pilot style chronographs to consider:

(1) In-house movements:
    Glashutte Original Senator Navigator Chronograph
    Zenith Big Date Special Pilot Chronograph.

(2) Valjoux/ETA movements:
    IWC
    Stowa
    Tutima
    etc

Though it is difficult to choose just one, which would be the best and most timeless investment?

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Pilot style chronograph choices - Glashutte Original Senator Navigator Chronograph or....

Breguet, Sinn, Alpina, Damasko, Bell & Ross, Bremont, Breitling, to name some other brands offering pilot style watches.
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I visited a very large watch store today while travelling in the Caribbean, and saw many fine chronographs such as the IWC Spitfire, Breitling Transocean (surprisingly elegant and subdued for a Breitling!), Glasshute Original Senator Sixties, JLC etc.

There were no GO pilot style watches available, but their dressier watches looked very impressive. The Breitling Transocean with white face and grey subdials on a black leather strap looked very handsome indeed.

Here are some amazing pics of the GO Senator Navigator Chronograph from elsewhere on this site:

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f78/gla...ix-250947.html

Despite having a modular chronograph movement, it is really growing on me...

If your budget is between 5-10k I would go for the Glashutte Original Senator Chronograph which is pilot-style albeit a tad more dressed up than I would prefer in a pilot watch.

However if your budget is under $5k, I've bee researching pilot style chronographs as of late and have landed on a few that I really like design-wise however they do not have the fully in-house movement that I also prefer. After all my searching I've come to the conclusion that I won't find a pilots chrono with fully in-house movement, that meets my preference aesthetically, for under $5000. Despite that, here is what I have my eyes on currently:

* Muhle Glashutte Terrasport I chronograph
    * Sinn 356 Flieger
    * IWC pilots chronograph
    * Damasko DC56
    * Sinn 103 Ti DIAPAL
    * Omega Speedmaster (Reduced)

Of all the pieces mentioned above the IWC and the Muhle terrasport chrono probably fit your wish list the closest. The Muhle at 44mm is too large for my tastes but it utilizes the MU 9408 movement which is based off of the valjouxx 7750 ebauche which is then heavily modified using Muhle technology such as their "woodpecker" neck regulator. The Omega being the easiest to source pre-owned at a good price is well under $2000 and uses a modified ETA 2892 which is fitted with a chrono unit. Again, none are fully in-house but do offer in-house modified movements.
    Last edited by Justrol; January 25th, 2013 at 04:20.

The Terrasport 1 is an excellent 'Flieger Chronograph' as the above poster kindly mentioned it features Muhle's own MU9408 movement which is based upon the 7750, but very heavily modified as well as the standard Muhle modifications it has the most modifications of any Muhle movement all of which are made 'in-house' including a new 3/4 plate. Each watch is regulated in 6 positions

Thilo Muhle himself wears a Terrasport 1.

If you have any other questions you can see my factory visit which I have posted on the forum....or ask away, I am a Muhle dealer.

Thread Information