Pilot's chronograph picture thread. - Page 6
Like Tree11646Likes

Thread: Pilot's chronograph picture thread.

Page 6 of 225 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Re: Pilot's chronograph picture thread.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyJack View Post
    I had the Pitts for 8 years, and did about 120 hours over that time - not a lot - because an aerobatics flight, when I never had to go more than 5-10 miles from the field and sometimes just did them over the field, didn't take much time. And I found I could have almost as much fun doing 5-6 circuits, which at 2m20s per circuit, didn't take long either. It was operated commercially by a flying school, which helped defray the costs, but that also created a lot of hassle, what with trying to get the money out of them they owed me, and meanwhile facing the higher maintenance costs that goes with tri-gear pilots trying to get used to landing a high-performance tailwheel aircraft.

I'm quite tempted by the idea of a 1/4 share in a single-seat Pitts S-1S, if I can find one. Cheap enough that it doesn't matter so much how many hours you do, and if you want to take a passenger there's always the option to rent something else, even if that's only a Chipmunk or Decathlon...
    I keep seeing S1S’s for the price of a new mid-size car advertised in the US. I would love one. I’ve been considering an S2B or C and defraying the cost by putting my CFI to use in it or maybe a leaseback arrangement with a local flight school. I couldn’t agree more, to me the most enjoyable flights are the short hops where I never get above 3,000’.

Quote Originally Posted by freight dog View Post
    I take it you are a fan of Ernest Gann as well. I recently picked up a B42 Black Flieger and it is great, but I am really into the Cosmonauts Chrono these days.
    Yes, you are so right about me being the fan of good old Ernest K. Gann, what a man

Cosmonaut Chronos especially Lemania 5100 powered are beauties. For me, Fortis has really good design in line what I would expect of pilot's watch.

Owned three Fortis Fliegers but currently none. Well, I'm getting the itch again

Not a chrono but... To support this post :)

Name:  pic072011-156.jpg
Views: 2827
Size:  99.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ninzeo View Post
    What model is this?

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Pilot's chronograph picture thread.

@asdf205, that's a Poljot Aviator chronograph, with Poljot 3133 movement. Ninzeo's dates from post-Soviet Russia. There were various versions made, some with white lume, and badged variously Poljot (as that one and mine below), and Maktime (later company)

DO NOT put sales verbiage in your signature.

Correct! It's one of the later issues of the 3133 Poljot aviator I chrono. I sold mine because i am on the hunt for one like yours Ohdark! Love the white lume and wide hands. Too bad they come by oh so rarely...

Thanks for the replies. They look great. What sort of price do they go for?

They are so rare because Fortis won a lawsuit against Poljot prohibiting sale of Aviator I in Germany because of too much similarity with their Flieger design. In fact, there were some Aviator I watches labeled Fortis.
    freight dog likes this.

Zenith Pilot Big Date with the iconic El Primero movement on

-21mm Super Engineer SS bracelet

-after market leather from Zack at Red12 Straps & Jose at C&B Straps
    Attached Images Attached Images

tanatron, DM71, Kluber and 10 others like this.
    Ball Fireman Victory
    Rolex Explorer 214270

Quote Originally Posted by Hunterfate View Post
    They are so rare because Fortis won a lawsuit against Poljot prohibiting sale of Aviator I in Germany because of too much similarity with their Flieger design. In fact, there were some Aviator I watches labeled Fortis.
    True. @asdf: if you can find one usually around $400

Prices of older S-2C and S-2B models are close enough nowadays that you would have to have some real benefit to the B model - like a fresh engine or total rebuild - to choose a B over a C. The C supposedly lands easier (according to Bud Davisson - I didn't notice any real difference, personally); the C certainly rolls faster, and doesn't need spades to manage that; the C also has a better prop - plenty of torque and power, enough to lift you off the runway in < 10 seconds, and to need right rudder in a left climbing turn.

The S-1S is apparently a lot lighter on the controls, and a bit twitchier, though I've never flown one. You'd lose half the fun in owning the S-2C - taking other people for a ride - but save on the money. But if you can get a reasonable deal with the flight school, and IF they are good at marketing it, you can probably get a two-seater that will earn you enough to bring your costs down below S-1S sole ownership.

How much Pitts time have you got? When I got mine, Bill Finagin came and taught me and others to fly it - a hugely experienced Pitts pilot, and a really nice guy. If you do get one, I can recommend a trip to Annapolis, unless you've already got a bit of Pitts experience...
    freight dog likes this.

Page 6 of 225 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 56 106 ... LastLast

Thread Information