Pilot's watch definition

Thread: Pilot's watch definition

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Pilot's watch definition

This old man is insecure with watch terminology. A pocketwatch was a
    watch. A wristwatch was a bracelet or strap ww. Today it is simply a watch. Maybe somebody can write a definition for a pilot's watch. Or is it
    too broadly used name to be categorized? Here are 2 extreme examples of seriously advertised pilot watches of 1940 and 1960 with a modern poser. Hamilton ad reads well on second click. Navitimer actually came from pro pilot's garage sale. He found it impractical. I liked its appearance and high tech. but was happy to make a profit with it. Notice the compact and neat old Lemania. It has the 321 Omega movmt. that was in the original big Speedy Pro. 27 mm. tiny movement in a big case.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by artb; December 26th, 2009 at 16:54. Reason: correct photo

Pil-Mil, Breitling Forum Moderator O2AFAC67's Avatar

Off Topic post Re: Pilot's watch definition

Quote Originally Posted by artb View Post
    This old man is insecure with watch terminology. A pocketwatch was a
    watch. A wristwatch was a bracelet or strap ww. Today it is simply a watch. Maybe somebody can write a definition for a pilot's watch. Or is it
    too broadly used name to be categorized? Here are 2 extreme examples of seriously advertised pilot watches of 1940 and 1960 with a modern poser. Hamilton ad reads well on second click. Navitimer actually came from pro pilot's garage sale. He found it impractical. I liked its appearance and high tech. but was happy to make a profit with it. Notice the compact and neat old Lemania. It has the 321 Omega movmt. that was in the original big Speedy Pro. 27 mm.
    A picture is worth a thousand words... My .02 worth...
    Best,
    Ron

" The Sailor Who Fell From Grace With The Sea "

Click to view: 500px Photo Gallery or... Breitling Pics Slideshow

Re: Pilot's watch definition

The quintessential pilot watch is the classic Omega Speedmaster Professional, the moon watch. I got advanced press notice and was waiting on Aldrin & Armstrong when they landed. Cheers, Bill P.

Last edited by gaopa; December 26th, 2009 at 16:02.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

2 Really nice demonstrations of the modern Pilot watches. Thankyou. Somewhat different from the 1930-40 Ford trimotor type.

Quote Originally Posted by gaopa View Post
    The quintessential pilot watch is the classic Omega Speedmaster Professional, the moon watch. I got advanced press notice and was waiting on Aldrin & Armstrong when they landed. Cheers, Bill P.
    Gaopa - The only chronograph I really like so I'm sorry to contradict you but it was designed and marketed originally for motorsports fans and then made famous by NASA using it for astronauts but it's not strictly speaking a "pilot's watch".

In my opinion being an astronaut probably has more in common with being a saturation diver than an aviator.

As you are likely aware, whilst there is clearly a traditional and also marketed style for pilots watches the ones that are actually chosen and used are based on personal preference rather than a set feature list. I'm not a fan of clutter on dials so prefer very limited features (no chronograph and no pointless slide rules). Pilots of more complex aircraft use the aircraft's instruments not their wristwatches meaning the usability of their preference is largely unimportant and down to convenience and style/fashion.

Your Rolex Explorer II is an ideal "working pilots" watch for me - it ticks all the right boxes for convenience and practicality for military and commercial use (even though it's a variant of the GMT-Master II and not actually a pilots watch in it's own right).
    Last edited by Redleader; December 26th, 2009 at 18:38.

My first good ww. was earliest model speedy pro from car racer Wally Dallenbach. Sold by brother for $60. in nice condition. Sold for $120. after getting a later model. So a genuine motorsport object as you say but still a watch useable by pilots. Awhile ago had a simple military Bulova posted here used by lady Air Force pilot w.w.2. So a pilot's watch cannot be strictly defined and a definition for it by features is nonsensical. ( presently my opinion). Correction:
    As reported here in the following certain features obviously define the pilot's watch. Just because a pilot uses a time only Polarouter does not make it a dsigned for application preferred Pilot's Watch. So I will not call it a pilot's watch. However, I will still call the time only military issued A11 time only black face sweep second hand a pilot's watch specific for w.w.2.
    Last edited by artb; December 30th, 2009 at 14:30. Reason: poor writing

Well, I think that we have beat this dead horse more than once around here, but I don't really tire of the subject.

As aviation has recently passed the century mark, we have had a lot of technology changes in watches coinciding with the remarkable and parallel advances in aviation. I am wearing my Yes Zulu right now as I sit in a Shanghai hotel room. I have been on 5 continents in the last 10 days or so, and my Zulu is a true aviation tool. I also brought my Fortis B42 GMT with me which I wore for a few days, but I find that the Zulu is easier to use when I am really jumping time zones.

I wore the same B1 that Ron posted above while I was in Iraq. It was a good tool for the job as a new school watch packed with features. I still like old school fleigers, and everybody ought to own one, but they don't serve much purpose for the kind of flying that I perform.
    "Some people work for a living, me, I'd rather fly!"

Super. A real professional expert's advisory opinion. A 1930's ford trimotor is not today's technology and operation as is the pilot's watch. Fine conclusion to this question.
    Last edited by Crusader; December 27th, 2009 at 13:15. Reason: Edited and brought IAW forum rule no. 1

This has been a fun and enlightening thread! Not being a pilot I have learned from those of you who are. Thanks guys. Cheers, Bill P.

On further reflection even though not a pilot, I still think the Omega Speedmaster is a good choice for pilots. If it was good enough for NASA.....

Or.... how about the Lum-Tec Combat B3? Cheers, Bill P.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information