Like Tree13Likes
  • 9 Post By Hardscrabbler
  • 1 Post By Deacon211
  • 1 Post By Hardscrabbler
  • 1 Post By Hardscrabbler
  • 1 Post By Camguy

Thread: Rescue w/Wrist Compass

Rescue w/Wrist Compass

My wilderness SAR team got a callout yesterday for two lost hikers participating in a 26 mile mountain hike for charity. We found the hikers, and I loaned them the $2 wrist compass I wear with my TSAR for the rest of their journey. When the hikers crossed the finish line, they told me the simple compass helped them not get lost again.

I have nothing against ABC or GPS watches, but I’m glad I could help them without risking the loss of an expensive watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SKX009J / SKX007K / SKX171 / Marathon T-SAR / G-Shock 7900B

Re: Rescue w/Wrist Compass

Nice job! The nice thing about those wrist compasses is that you don’t need to “remember” to bring one with you when you step off civilization.

Like all rescue equipment, no one tells you in advance that you’re going to need it, today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Camguy likes this.

I’m also a member of SAR. Did the lost hikers have their mobile phones with them? There’s a compass app in almost every smart phone made. We’ve been using a tool called SARLoc that involves us sending a text message to the lost person’s phone that then picks up their GPS coordinates and relays it to a central server. It obviously doesn’t work in area without cell tower coverage, but we did rescue a hiker just two days ago with it.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

One of the hikers had an iPhone, and I showed her the compass app that includes both compass bearings and lat/long coordinates. That way they would be able to communicate their position to us if they got lost again — assuming they had signal and battery power.

I gave her my wrist compass because cell service was poor, and I assumed they would run out the battery by the end of the day. The hike started at 5AM, and the last hikers finished at 8:00PM.

Lee_K likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Hardscrabbler View Post
    One of the hikers had an iPhone, and I showed her the compass app that includes both compass bearings and lat/long coordinates.
    I gave her my wrist compass because cell service was poor, and I assumed they would run out the battery by the end of the day.
    Excellent. I often get asked at Public Meet-and-Greets about what equipment to bring out on the trail. My first answer always is "a battery charger for your phone". My second answer is "a GPS app for your phone that can track your position and show you the way back to where you started." Our team is using GAIA GPS almost exclusively now as the navigation aid for all of our missions.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee_K View Post
    Excellent. I often get asked at Public Meet-and-Greets about what equipment to bring out on the trail. My first answer always is "a battery charger for your phone". My second answer is "a GPS app for your phone that can track your position and show you the way back to where you started." Our team is using GAIA GPS almost exclusively now as the navigation aid for all of our missions.
    I was late coming to the GPS party. My team has an excellent old-school land nav training program that requires all of us to get checked off with only a map and compass, and that’s all I used for a long time. A few years ago I added a Garmin eTrex so the mission planners could download my tracks and clue waypoints for subsequent search tasks. More recently, I also started using Gaia, and I used it last week. I love that I can download hiking maps, the USGS topo, and satellite imagery from home via WiFi and then use the maps in the field with my phone in airplane mode. It’s pretty awesome.

Lee_K likes this.

I wasn't aware of the Gaia GPA app before. That's awesome. Thanks.
    Hardscrabbler likes this.

Thread Information