Special Watchuseek A-11 Homage Watch By Bill Yao (CANCELED) - Discussion Thread - Page 9

Thread: Special Watchuseek A-11 Homage Watch By Bill Yao (CANCELED) - Discussion Thread

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    Yao

Re: Proposal for a Special Watchuseek A-11 Homage Watch In Collaboration With Bill Yao

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    That's the ticket Martin.

That would work as well.

Re: Special Watchuseek A-11 Homage Watch By Bill Yao - Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Same here. If we go the lume way at all (as the majority of A-11s were unlumed, and it was especially the Navy/USMC varaint which was lumed), please note that anything different from C1 and C3 (white and pale green, respectively) will necessarily mean a significant degradadtion of luminosity.
    I must say "bravo" for a great collaboration. I just wanted to comment after reading about lume vs. no lume vs new vs patina look.

If you really wanted to get a look of patina, but not hinder the luminosity, how about this: a sapphire with a slight brown tint to it. There is a sapphire crystal currently available for Seiko cases to fit the ubiquitous SKX007 and it gives a brand new dial a patina look...but won't hurt the glow of the lume (as the tint is in the glass, not the actual paint).
    The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.
    -Albert Einstein

The unforgivable crime is soft hitting. Do not hit at all if it can be avoided; but never hit softly.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

My Team
    Casio DW-6900-1V; DW-9100; GW-5600J-1; GW-6900-1; GW-6900B; GW-7900B; GW-9200-1; GW-A1000FC-2ADR; GW-M5600-1ER; MTG-520; PAW-1500T
    Citizen AT0660-05F; AT4004-52E; AT8020-54L; ATD53-3011; AV0021-52H; AV0031-59A; BL1258-53L; BL5440-58E; BN0088-03E; BN0100-51E; BZ0000-50E; EBJ74-1741; JY0010-50E; JV0020-12F; JY0000-53E; JY8000-50E; PMD56-2861; PMT56-2731; PMX56-2812
    Omega Planet Ocean XL 2200.50.00
    Rolex Two-tone 1500
    Seiko SARB023; SBDB001; SBDC003; SBPG001; SKA371; SKA511; SKXA33; SKZ325; SLT079; SLT081; SNDA59; SNE109; SNE283; SNG045; SPB001J; SRP043; SRP227; SRP307; SSC017

Tag Heuer 500m Aquaracer WAJ2110.BA0870

Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    I forgot to add that I fail to see the point in making the watch look vintage. I prefer to see how it looked new and let it age in my watch case.
    My preference for the aged look was under the assumption that the dial would be lumed. If we end up luming it with clear white or green Luminova, my point is that your dial will not look aged at all, even when it is! Luminova does not fade in that beautiful way that tritium does, that is why a 10 year old watch with tritium used for lume looks much better (or at least more vintage) than a 10 year old watch with Luminova used for lume. The luminova watch will look like a 10 year old watch case with 1 day old indices! (admitted, the rest of the dial can fade)

If the only luming option is bright, white or green luminova, I would prefer a non lumed watch (Which I guess is true to the original also)

BTW: What material is used for an unlumed watch? I assume this material will fade with age? If so, I am happy that the watch will fade with age like myself

Rgds, Mads

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

This is a great project! I'd be more than happy to offer up my design/illustration skills if needed? I know you have a great watch to model it after, but if you need any assistance with mock-ups please let me know.

This is one I will be keeping a close watch on - no pun intended :)

I'm a little 'scared' (in a figurative sense) and I'll let you in on my fears.

FEAR #1:

Each A-11 variant, although similar to others, has its own 'balance' in terms of design and proportions. My personal favourite is the Elgin A-11 with waterproof case that you don't see too often on the interweb (it's a two piece case with a stepped bezel). My 'fear' is that if you start to marry A-11 design elements together (i.e. a Bulova style case with an Elgin style dial) you can create a 'mutt' that's not at all in keeping with the 1940s watch design aesthetic. Assuage my fear: pick one A-11 variant, and one variant only, and stick with it.

FEAR #2:

Don't touch that crown. Itsy bitsy ~ 30mm case and a proportionately humongous crown - that's a 1940s US mil watch aesthetic that should only be tampered with at your own peril. Keep the proportions of that crown.

FEAR #3:

The case lines: something you can only really see in real life and that photos do a poor job of representing. A 1940s watch has very specific lines that seem almost 'cartoonish' to us in 2008. My fear is that cold angular precision might be used to create a case with lines that look like they were milled in 2008 in the German Black Forest: make those case lines flow and capture that 1940s US watch manufacturer aesthetic. Don't take liberties, go with the flow of the mid century lines.

FEAR #4:

You'll choose to use a knurled bezel. That's more 'pet peeve' than 'fear' but do keep in mind that a knurled bezel was used for very functional reasons (i.e. to be able to screw off the bezel). Since we are producing this watch in 2008 and since water-resistance does matter to us, I highly doubt Mr. Yao will want to machine a case that has a knurled caseback and a knurled bezel that can be removed with minimally dry fingers. Unless your knurled bezel is functional, please choose an A-11 variant that has a two piece 'waterproof' case. Knurling for knurling's sake is just plain wrong (and if I were Supreme Intergalactic Commander, it would be criminal).
    Last edited by Don Aldo; December 2nd, 2008 at 05:16.

all great points IMO.

agree on all four points

Agreed.
    Any chance we can gather photos of the various versions and make a poll where all those that paid reservation can vote to check preferences?

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    If I have to choose between people or watches... I choose people everytime!
    Cheers,
    Paulo

I think that would be a great idea... obviously there is going to be a bit of feasibility that will need to go into whatever decisions get made. Maybe we are a bit too early in the process for a list like this (still gathering options/feasibilities), but I for one would like to see something like this (for deposit holders only) as soon as its deemed fit. I think it would help everyone, those who have made deposits/those who are still on the fence to start to see a clear direction for the project. I think it'd help it to feel more real since we are still so far from seeing the finished product....

Well, I'm excited to see how this turns out. I'm going to hold off and hope I find a manual wind in a watch that looks close to the A11 starting this thread. It should be fun watching how this one takes shape.
    Rolex Yacht-Master SS/Platinum
    Frederique Constant Chrono
    Sinn 356
    Debaufre Ocean 1 39mm

1963 Chinese Airforce 21 zuan :(bummer):

HMT Pilot Black Dial
    HMT Pilot White Dial
    Hamilton Khaki Field hand wind :)

Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information