thoughts about MWC military style watches...
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: thoughts about MWC military style watches...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

thoughts about MWC military style watches...

Hi guys here's a brand that makes military inspired watches.. on the web we can find a bunch of threads/discussion about that watches... but we found at the end the final answer?Can we consider them "used by military units" ?Obyouvsly we cannot consider them "issued" i am not telling or saying that here in any way.No, i don't... But I've made some reserch over the web and i found many thoughts and different evidences about some military unit and corps that have used them... the was never issued but i think i found some evidence that can prove they was used and in some cases owned and requested by some military units...

Can someone confirm that or someone do have my same thoughts? I think that the MWC watches will be a good alternatives for the people who likes military inspired watches but don't wanna spend half a salary to wear one of those... Of course you will not have a real military grail at your own wrist but maybe that wasn't your goal.. simply you wanted a military like watch... and in that way .. with MWC.. you will have reached your goal...

Name:  britishsoldiersfrombc00.jpg
Views: 15952
Size:  36.9 KB

That brand is the MWC or Military Watch Company.That factory makes military inspired watch.. some mechanical and some quartz powered watches ... inspired at G10 of CWC or W10 and the RN diver also from CWC.. factory ... they made also a watch similar to the sandy (stocker and yale )..... If you like military inspired watches and you do not want to spend many much money for a real issued one maybe you can consider of buying one of those MWC instead of a real war-like one...

Many evidence shows that MWC never hide that they production is about military inspired watches.. and from the email i collected over the web i see that all the time people ask them about they're issued watches they never hide they never issued one... but also they do not deny any supply to some Metropolitan Police Anti Terrorist Unit or gurkas and similar group..

For me i bought this one is the model MKVI similar to the most famous and collectible Sandy(stocker and yale) model 184.. The MWC it is a simple quartz powered military inspired watch while the Sandy it is a 1 jewel mechanical handwind movement watch.. the most interesting thing it is that both are responding to the MIL-W-46374C spec..

Name:  4fbfa39bce1damwc2.jpg
Views: 14089
Size:  18.0 KB

Name:  4fbfa3a761b79s6303929.jpg
Views: 13973
Size:  28.0 KB

Name:  4fbfa3a3c46e5s6303928.jpg
Views: 13896
Size:  32.5 KB

link CWC MWC divers watcxh comparison photos

here you can read the original owner thoughts :

Case dimensions are with in a gnats knacker of each other but the finish is very different, the CWC on the right is over 20 years old and the MWC is only 5, both have seen service in the same regiment and similar jobs

Name:  photo0019cw.jpg
Views: 13806
Size:  65.1 KB

Name:  photo0020v.jpg
Views: 13770
Size:  91.3 KB

Name:  photo0021bf.jpg
Views: 13665
Size:  39.7 KB

Name:  photo0022el.jpg
Views: 13660
Size:  65.8 KB

Name:  photo0024r.jpg
Views: 13784
Size:  83.9 KB

Name:  photo0025m.jpg
Views: 13700
Size:  79.8 KB

Name:  photo0029k.jpg
Views: 13623
Size:  47.2 KB

Name:  photo0030vq.jpg
Views: 13594
Size:  55.7 KB

others....

Name:  1585045120303161752all0.jpg
Views: 13636
Size:  59.7 KB

Name:  1585045120303161823all0.jpg
Views: 13572
Size:  48.0 KB

Name:  1585045120303162040all0.jpg
Views: 13609
Size:  62.1 KB

Name:  1585045120303162103all0.jpg
Views: 13598
Size:  46.3 KB

Name:  1585045120303162246all0.jpg
Views: 13601
Size:  66.7 KB

Name:  1585045120303162310all0.jpg
Views: 13558
Size:  46.2 KB

Name:  1585045120303162333all0.jpg
Views: 13561
Size:  49.3 KB

interesting thought coming from real military employed guys found at that link Millitary watch, CWC or MWC!??

I was in the Forces for a good few years and can't remember seeing anybody wearing CWC or MWC. I certainly didn't get issued with the CWC RM Diver watch but I guess I wasn't an actual Marine (Forward Observer with 29 Cdo Regt RA, 148 Batt). Pretty much all had G-Shocks or the odd guy had a Timex ironman. Popular GShock models were the 5600, 6600, 6900 and mudman (I had the 5600). Tough as nails, accurate, cheap and easily replaced....even in downtown Kandahar.I do however have an MWC in my collection. It's the G10 model with fixed pins, PVD finish, battery hatch and very bright Tritium markers.

Name:  sam0312e.jpg
Views: 17003
Size:  164.8 KB

another guy said that here Millitary watch, CWC or MWC!?? - Page 2

I am a serving officer in an anti terrorist unit and we get issued with an MWC branded P6500 only problem is they are given out on an op and handed back after but I will post some pics when I get to keep it overnight and get a chance to take them. I was doing a job at an airport and interestingly the US opposite numbers had Marathon Navigators which use the same GTLS tubes as MWC and Traser so clearly we are all moving that way. I am baffled why the UK MOD use Luminova but maybe its down to cost issues.

As far as quality I find the MWC to be fine but I also have a P6506 12/24 hour military spec version of the civiilian 12 hour version and that is an excellent bit of kit and streets ahead of the P6500. I asked MWC why our unit did not opt for that but was told it coms down to the four letter word COST!

some other evidence http://http://thedapperdad.com/tag/m...watch-company/

There are many watchmakers that have actually made or make variations of this watch (i.e. Polar, IWC, Lemania, Omega, Heuer, Seiko, Smiths, Hamilton etc.), but today there are only a few that are still military suppliers as most of the world’s armed services no longer source standard issue watches and certainly not made by any of the leading manufacturers.

The few “official” suppliers left are the Marathon Watch Company (Richmond Hill, Canada), CWC – Cabot Watch Company (London, England) and MWC – Military Watch Company (Zurich, Switzerland). Mainly supplying “on demand” watches for specific divisions within the U.S., Canadian and British Armed Forces (as well as other military and law enforcement organizations), these manufactures make due by selling overstock or “civilian” versions to the general public through specialized surplus outfitters.

CWC RN diver vs MWC diver .The price between the two watches it is very different and here you can clearely see why

Name:  mwc153.jpg
Views: 13740
Size:  210.7 KB

Name:  mwc567.jpg
Views: 14041
Size:  291.1 KB

MWC watches are bad than CWC.here you can see "china movement - swiss parts".

Name:  mwc80.jpg
Views: 13571
Size:  116.5 KB

here you can see a stock of many G10 from which the original auction says : EX-MILITARY MWC WATCHES FULLY SERVICED.

Name:  1585045120419150832aa00.jpg
Views: 14040
Size:  63.6 KB

directly from Mwc site over the internet you can read that they produce less expensive watches and maybe they think that some military units may have choose to use their watches for those reason..mwc watches are less expensive than the issued and if they will be lost the military wouldn't be charged of the watch price at the end of his service period..

cit:
    Q: What defines a military watch?
    A: This is a fairly difficult question to answer. Many watch manufacturers such as G-Shock are not actually manufacturing watches specifically for military use but that does not detract from the fact that they are a watch of choice by many serving military and are extremely robust and fit for purpose. Other manufacturers such as Marathon are purely military and SAR orientated. MWC produce watches not just for military use but we have also supplied anti terrorist units, police forces and both exploration and mining companies all of which have requirements that share many requirements with military specification watches.

Q: Are all the watches MWC manufacture currently issued to the military or security forces?
    A: The answer to this is no because we produce some watches which are made for film companies, re-enactment groups, cadets and veterans clubs. These watches mostly from the 1960's such as our Vietnam watches and GG-W-113 are recreations (based on the original specifications) of watches which. Other MWC watches have appeared in various films such as The Outlaw with Sean Bean

a curiosity .. they make a wall clock too

Name:  709380.jpg
Views: 13448
Size:  15.5 KB

Felix from WUS asked some to MWC here you can see the rpely he had from them

Felix:
    I was curious about this and have seen postings about MWC being a UK contractor so I thought I would phone and ask. I called the Swiss number and got someone who spoke in German but said "no English" I went to the web and found a US MWC site so called them and spoke to Clinton Baines and he said what is your email I will send you something. I waited a day and got the email below so i guess that makes it pretty clear cut.

Mail from MWC:

From: MWC Watch Company / MWC Uhren Gesellschaft <[email protected]>
    Date: 2009/11/22
    Subject: MWC Sales in UK
    To: [email protected]

Dear Felix,

I can confirm that we do not solicit UK military contracts nor make any
    reference to any contractual arrangements elsewhere. I can confirm that we do not currently hold a UK MOD contract and although we have supplied UK anti terrorist units we do not promote this point or use such sales to gain business. If any MWC employee has informed you otherwise please let us know.

We are a general supplier not just to the military but also to police
    forces, mining companies, salvage units and oil and gas exploration firms
    as well as film companies and various government agencies but I wish to
    confirm for the sake of clarification that we do not specifically target
    the UK for business any more than any other location because we are not UK based. To the best of my knowledge UK military contacts are currently held by Pulsar, CWC and Seiko.

Regarding the watch in the URL on the forum you referred to it might have
    what appears to be a UK case back but is not ours and we have never made a quartz version of that model.

If I can be of further help please let me know.

Best Regards
    Clinton Baines

--
    Military Watch Company
    80 Broad Street
    New York City,
    NY 10004
    United States

Tel: 1-917-338-9657 or 1-646-340-4924
    Fax: 1-888-895-7599

The MWC watches are also mentioned on the book "a Concise Guide to Military Timepieces 1880-1990" by Ziggy Weslowski at page 84 where he talk about an MWC W10

Name:  image3nz.jpg
Views: 13681
Size:  101.9 KB

Name:  image1ni.jpg
Views: 13651
Size:  102.6 KB

Name:  image0h.jpg
Views: 13601
Size:  343.2 KB

Based on The Concise Guide to Military Timepieces 1880-1990 by Ziggy Weslowski which MWC and other military watch dealers sell it confirms that MWC supplied the British Army with W10’s in 1990 and yet if you ask Dieter at MWC who has been there since 1981 he says he has no comment on this particular sale so clearly not an admission or denial. I spoke to Richard at MWC who confirms that they sell to various forces abroad and emailed supporting documents. He also confirmed that they have supplied the UK Government and among the organisations is the Metropolitan Police Anti Terrorist Unit and various other departments but he also pointed out that they are not overly interested in UK contracts as they have no UK presence to speak of but if approached they would tender but do not actively solicit the business. In spite of this I am aware MWC’s were provided to Gurkha’s at Catterick Garrison in 2003 and 2004 but again I found out the details of this from serving Gurkha’s not from MWC themselves but because the watches were MWC branded they must have reached them by some route.

another evidence from RLT forum :

The thing is I scratch my watches while working and the MWC is A1 and seems very tough. The real glass beats the CWC perspex hands down. I have a Marathon TSAR and that seems to be really solid too. The MWC self luminous G10 is really exacellent. I saw one being used by a Bundeswehr soldier and it looks like the battery hatch but with self luminous vials. I phone MWC to enquire about it and Richard Alexander (English speaking sales Manager) said it was not something he knew about. I asked Paul my Austrian friend to phone MWC Switzerland and Dieter at the Zurich office confirmed that they made this model and send me a pic. It looked a very serious bit of kit for under £100!

another guys from an italian forum asked some clue to MWC two days ago' here you can read the reply

italian guy from vetroplastica forum asked to MWC about their watches... inside the forum he wrote:

Ho scritto anche io alla MWC.
    Mi ha risposto, venti minuti dopo, la responsabile della sede centrale, che è di Zurigo.

Here's the MWC reply by email :

Hi,

They have been issued to a large number of units such as the Anti
    Terrorist unit in the UK and various South American forces but there are
    so many contracts large and small it is hard to know where to start. We
    also have an issue that we have agreements not to use details for
    promotion or publicity and there is the problem that if we make a list
    available to a third party they might post it publicly.

Regards
    Sheila

MWC factory and all the associated company :

MWC International SA

MWC are a leading supplier, not just to the military but also to police forces, mining companies and other government departments. We are one of the leading manufacturers of genuine military watches and manufacture a wide range of models either customers specific design requirements or by tendering for contracts where quality, reliability and durability are of primary importance. Regardless of whether you are a private individual seeking a single high quality watch for personal use or a wholesaler, retailer of military products or a government department, please contact us to discuss your requirements.
    Basic Information

Company Name: MWC International SA
    Business Type: Manufacturer
    Product/Service
    (We Sell): Military Watches, Watches
    Address: Zollikerstra遝 153
    Number of Employees: 11 - 50 People
    Company Website URL: http://www.mwcwatches.com
    Trade & Market
    Main Markets: North America
    South America
    Western Europe
    Eastern Europe
    Eastern Asia
    Southeast Asia
    Mid East
    Africa
    Oceania
    Factory Information
    No. of R&D Staff: Less than 5 People
    Contract Manufacturing: OEM Service Offered
    Contact Person: Mr. Dieter Kessler
    Company Name: MWC International SA
    Street Address: Zollikerstrasse 153
    City: Zurich
    Province/State: Zurich
    Country/Region: Switzerland
    Zip: 8008
    Telephone: 41-44-5869591
    Mobile Phone: 423663079750
    Fax: 41-44-2742833

Related companies

Shenzhen Bossme Watch Co., Ltd.
    Shenzhen Bossme Watch Co., Ltd. was established in 1998 as a professional manufacturer engaged in researching & developing, manufacturing and selling various watches. We have Design Department, Sales Department, IT Department, Production Department and After Sales Service Department. Our main

Time Factory Inc.
    Basic Information Company Name: Time Factory Inc. Business Type: Manufacturer, Distributor/Wholesaler Product/Service (We Sell): Watches, Bling Bling Watches, Hip Hop Watches, Bangle Watches, Mens Watches, Ladies Watches, Women Watches, Iced Out Watches, Geneva Watches, Fashion Wat

Edelweiss Gift & Accessories

EGA (Edelweiss Gifts and accessories Ltd) is a professional watch and OEM manufacturer, established in 2000. Owning a group of first class technicians, our annual output of watches has exceeded one million pieces, about five hundred styles of watches. Our products range from automatic watches, lux

Shenzhen Yiyongchen Watch Industry Co., Ltd.
    Shenzhen Yiyongcheng Watch Industry Co., Ltd. is located in one of the biggest watch and clock production bases in Shenzhen. Our company has been developing rapidly with Shenzhen economy. We enjoy a good reputation in the watch field with a strong team. We manufacture many kinds of watches, such

Eddisten Co.

Eddisten, a fast growing company, established in 2000. Our headquarter is located in California U. S., Our products range from automatic watches, luxury watches, sport watches, military watches, cartoon watches, gifts watches, and promotion watches, pens, etc. We provide complete service which is

LINDEN WATCHES., LTD

Basic Information Company Name: LINDEN WATCHES., LTD Business Type: Manufacturer Product/Service (We Sell): wristwatches,pocket watches,lady watches,man watches,gift watches,school watches,logo watches Address: G-33A-Ground Floor, KB Malls, Jalan Hamzarh, Kota BharuoContact P

3G watches LTD

Basic Information Company Name: 3G watches LTD Business Type: Manufacturer, Agent, Distributor/Wholesaler Product/Service (We Sell): mobile watches,USB watches,MP4 Watches,mp3 watches,mobile phone Address: P.O Box 1701Contact Person: Mr. Elaine Lee Company Name: 3G w

Shenzhen Aiers Watch Co., Ltd.

Shenzhen Aiers Watch Co., Ltd. was established in 1998 as a professional manufacturer engaged in researching & developing, manufacturing and selling various watches. We have Design Department, Sales Department, IT department, Production Department and After Sales Service Department. Our main

Shenzhen Dualtime Technology Co., Ltd.

Shenzhen Dualtime Watches Co.Ltd is a professional watch manufacturer and OEM built in 2004.Owning a group of first Class technicians,the company can produce m ore than 500 thousand per year, about many thousands of styles, and 500pcs real working sample for reference. Our products range from pair w

Fashion brand watches factory

Basic Information Company Name: Fashion brand watches factory Business Type: Manufacturer, Trading Company, Buying Office, Distributor/Wholesaler, Business Service (Transportation, finance, travel, Ads, etc) Product/Service (We Sell): brand watches,fashion watches,cheap watches,dis
    Last edited by ecalzo; December 18th, 2012 at 17:34.
    watches are meant to tell times..

Re: thoughts about MWC military style watches...

A very deep, interesting and fresh research ecalzo, as usual and as at your standard!

I was always interest to know better about the MWC, I totally agree with you about the possibility they have given some watch to some unit, even if they say that in any way they "issue" watches under any NSN or MoD contract.
    I really appreciate, however, that they never write or say that they made "issued" watch and this is very important because they are always be clear and transparent in what they do.

The new info is that Mr. Wesolowsky write about MWC and this is a interesting info to add to the information already available.
    I must admit that I own the book from long time, but I never see this important info.

I would say that maybe, the "provided" model to some unit may be a W10 type/style because if I read well, Mr. Wesolowsky talk about MWC in the page dedicated to the W10.

Maybe this is a start point to search a probably "used by military/law enforcement unit" watch?
    Last edited by Schirra; December 18th, 2012 at 17:46.
    Salva
    Salva

Quote Originally Posted by Schirra View Post
    A very deep, interesting and fresh research ecalzo, as usual and as at your standard!

I was always interest to know better about the MWC, I totally agree with you about the possibility they have given some watch to some unit, even if they say that in any way they "issue" watches under any NSN or MoD contract.
    I really appreciate, however, that they never write or say that they made "issued" watch and this is very important because they are always be clear and transparent in what they do.

The new info is that Mr. Wesolowsky write about MWC and this is a interesting info to add to the information already available.
    I must admit that I own the book from long time, but I never see this important info.

I would say that maybe, the "provided" model to some unit may be a W10 type/style because if I read well, Mr. Wesolowsky talk about MWC in the page dedicated to the W10.

Maybe this is a start point to search a probably "used by military/law enforcement unit" watch?
    Thank you a lot for your thoughts Schirra... i hope we must start searching info all together in that direction.. to make a clear space for that watches...or to understand better what they have done for the military units that may have used them... many thanks to you for providing me the photos coming from your owned paper copy of Mr. Wesolowsky book that i do not own already... let's see what we will find out about MWC military inspired and "used" watches..

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Let's go with the search!!
    Salva
    Salva

Quote Originally Posted by Schirra View Post
    Let's go with the search!!
    i'll hope some other guys will have newer thoughts or evidence to show and to understand better... maybe some photo or evidence about gurkas.. because i found nothing about that...... we will see...

I applaud you on this thread. I must admit I love the minimalist style of a sturdy British watch. I like your comparison/breakdown of the two. I guess when it comes to a GI watch, your study is a watch that would be issued to the masses. The only watch that has been issued to me is a Suunto, but that is only because of the job I serve in the military--27 years. Right now as you know the Ebay market is flooded with CWCs and and frankly I wonder if they are not Chinese clones--the MWC is a clone. Another interesting watch I have seen and I am not sure of its legitimacy is the anti-magnetic British Issued EOD watch???? Cheers
    Last edited by Papichulo; December 25th, 2012 at 12:26.

Quote Originally Posted by Papichulo View Post
    Another interesting watch I have seen and I am not sure of its legitimacy is the anti-magnetic British Issued EOD watch???? Cheers
    It's not completely inconceivable that Citizen may once have supplied something that looked vaguely like it, but there is no evidence of this being the case. It is known that EOD have received standard issued quartz watches, so there wouldn't seem to be any reason for a 'special' EOD watch.

The watch you are referring to has been hawked around the internet for years, and is without any serious doubt a piece of <insert derogatory epithet to taste> .

I used to list my watches here until I realised it ruined people's Google searches...

well.. i see... your opinion and thoughts are highly appreciated.. but any thought instead about MWC deeply? do you know some newer story about them? evidence or something like? or we can continue thinking at MWC like some sort of military used watches? even if they aren't so tough or appreciated like other brands?

The attention to detail and thoroughness of the OP on this thread borders on epic! Thanks for this informative look at MWC!
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Quote Originally Posted by mpalmer View Post
    The attention to detail and thoroughness of the OP on this thread borders on epic! Thanks for this informative look at MWC!
    i'm glad you liked it..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information