Traser/Luminox water-resistance differences?
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Traser/Luminox water-resistance differences?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Traser/Luminox water-resistance differences?

Hi all,

I've been looking at the Traser & Luminox ranges of watches. I think that unless I can find a great deal on a second hand one, I can only afford the basic Traser P6500 or Luminox 3001-Navy Seals I (plastic case) series.

I prefer the P6500 face and 'non'-Navy Seals face, but the watch is only rated to 30m (100 feet) water resistance, whereas the (supposed) 'exactly the same'-cased Luminox is rated to 200m (660 feet). Both have a case back held with four screws, so how can the depth rating vary so much? A member of another watch forum in the UK had his P6500 pressure tested to 100m a while ago, but is that a fluke?

Has anybody else got a Traser which they wear regularly in the shower/swimming/in shallow water who can tell me whether they stand-up to harder abuse?

Thanks for any help!
    Andy

Re: Traser/Luminox water-resistance differences?

I could be wrong, but...

I seem to recall that some P6500's lacked a screw down crown. I think these were earlier watches. I also seem to remember someone telling me that the newer P6500s now have a screw-down crown, increasing their water resistance.

I do know that all other Traser models, from the P6502 up, have screw-down crowns and a higher WR rating. I have a P6506 (Ti) with a screw-down crown.

Regards,

Jeremy
    ChiefWahoo likes this.

Hello Andy,

I own a P6500 an it is no problem to swim or shower. A watch-seller here in Germany (www.taucheruhren.de) says on his homepage, that he has tested diving with this watch.

Jack

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by andy100
    A member of another watch forum in the UK had his P6500 pressure tested to 100m a while ago, but is that a fluke?
    That was I, and I don't think it was a fluke as several other people that I know of have had this test done, and the 100-meter-test is apparently regularly performed by the service center in Germany.

The Traser P6500 won't have a screw-down crown as the case is plastic and the crown is metal, but it is sealed with two fat O-rings. But then again, the screw-down mechanism isn't directly responsible for water-resistance, but for protecting the seals - many famous dive watches never had a screw-down mechanism.

I think Traser only rated the watch to 30 meters so that people would prefer to buy the metal models, increasing Traser's profits ... with a 200m rating and being an excellent watch to wear (the P6500 is my daily beater) there would be little incentive to purchase the more expensive models. Besides, the relevant mil.spec only called for 30 meteres WR, so Traser may have thought it prudent to keep the watch IAW the milspec, although it exceeds it ... but I think the marketing argument was more important.
    Last edited by Crusader; February 16th, 2006 at 11:56.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader
    That was I, and I don't think it was a fluke as several other people that I know of have had this test done, and the 100-meter-test is apparently regularly performed by the service center in Germany.

The Traser P6500 won't have a screw-down crown as the case is plastic and the crown is metal, but it is sealed with two fat O-rings. But then again, the screw-down mechanism isn't directly responsible for water-resistance, but for protecting the seals - many famous dive watches never had a screw-down mechanism.

I think Traser only rated the watch to 30 meters so that people would prefer to buy the metal models, increasing Traser's profits ... with a 200m rating and being an excellent watch to wear (the P6500 is my daily beater) there would be little incentive to purchase the more expensive models. Besides, the relevant mil.spec only called for 30 meteres WR, so Traser may have thought it prudent to keep the watch IAW the milspec, although it exceeds it ... but I think the marketing argument was more important.
    Hi Crusader, you were the person in question I was referring too (I wasn't sure whether you frequented this place too! )

Thanks for al the other replies too...I think that you're building the case for this watch being right for my purposes. I guess that there would still be a problem with maintaining the WR once the battery's been changed if the back's not screwed down properly again (but maybe that applies equally to watches with a screw down crown too?). If that's true, then the watch is 'semi' disposable, but I suppose that's the risk you take!

On a side note, I was being slightly geeky last night and comparing the Rhoda calibers of the battery mechanisms last night at http://www.ronda.ch/e/index_produkte.html (on the Caliber overview table) and according to that the higher-spec Traser's like the P6504 & 6506 are quoted as having a 74 month battery life, even though the Traser specs give them as only 40 months...I'd like to think that the Traser marketing Dept. are playing it safe and, just like the WR question, downplaying the specs of the watches. Though I'm sure that the question of trying to sell the metal-cased watches that are 'rated' to 200m also comes into the equation! :-D

Quote Originally Posted by jack3630
    Hello Andy,

I own a P6500 an it is no problem to swim or shower. A watch-seller here in Germany (www.taucheruhren.de) says on his homepage, that he has tested diving with this watch.

Jack
    Interesting site there Jack. Couldn't find any Traser watches on there right now, but some nice Luminox's (especially the Stealth 3401 model which I really like even though it's out of my price range!)

Thanks all,
    Andy
    Last edited by andy100; February 16th, 2006 at 16:22.

Luminox 3401 is a nice watch...

...especially if you customize it a bit. Here's one I had Jack Alexyon sterilize the caseback and install Bill Yao's dial (he painted the second hand as well). I don't know if Bill still has these dials, and they only work on the Luminox dial configuration that is like the Sandy 650 or Traser 6500.

3401 has that nice PVD stainless steel case with screwdown caseback and crown, and sapphire crystal. It also has the hour marked bezel like the Sandy 650, rather than the diver minute bezel.

Mahalo,

andy

Re: Luminox 3401 is a nice watch...

Bill still has these dials on offer.

You may note that the watch Andy posted is PVD'ed steel, whereas the Traser P6500 (also with a 12-hour bezel) is plastic.
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

I love the PVD-steel look, and would love to be able to afford the Yao-ised Stealth with plain face, but unfortunately it's going to be a long way off from that

Even the base Luminox 3401 (the one with PVD bracelet I believe?) would be great, but at the cheapest price I've seen being £250 (even £180ish for the rubber-strap version) I just can't do it. I know you can get them cheaper if you buy from the States, but I'm very wary of the import/VAT tax that Customs would charge.

In the meantime, I think that the Traser P6500 is the only option if and when I can persuade myself and the wife that I 'need' a new watch!

On a side note, I was set on getting a Seiko Black Monster (especially as the lume on them is so good), but I've realised that I wouldn't be able to live with the automtic 'inaccuracy' issue. Had a Seiko 5 year's ago which ran almost perfectly, but it wasn't water-resistant in the first place so having the back taken off to regulate it wasn't an issue. These days I wear my watch 24/7 and it'd be a very hard habit to real!

Oh well, off to carry on dreaming!...B-)

Hi!

After reading some of Crusaders excellent posts and reviews (which apparently were lost on this forum after the crash ) I purchased the Traser P6500 a little while ago.

I work in the SAR world, and I have been very happy with it for the two months or so I've had it so far. No scratches or dings after skiing, climbing, snowmobiling, or other generally rough use. The tritium is awesome for my work and I'm not sure how I did without it before.

I fly too and appreciate the 12 hour bezel. I orginally bought it for this purpose but as Crusader mentions it has become my everyday watch and I wear it 98% of the time now unless I need something dressier like my Breitling or Doxa.

Took it on vacation in Hawaii earlier this month and swam/surfed/snorkled with no problem. Didn't dive deeper this go-round but I have the Doxa that I use for that.

As mentioned above the "plastic" 6500 does not have a screw-down crown.

I am VERY HAPPY with this watch and would recommend it to anyone looking for a watch in this price range. BTW I got it on Ebay new for about 25% less than the retail price.
    Last edited by btdt; February 27th, 2006 at 01:44.

Quote Originally Posted by btdt
    Hi!

After reading some of Crusaders excellent posts and reviews (which apparently were lost on this forum after the crash ) I purchased the Traser P6500 a little while ago.

I work in the SAR world, and I have been very happy with it for the two months or so I've had it so far. No scratches or dings after skiing, climbing, snowmobiling, or other generally rough use. The tritium is awesome for my work and I'm not sure how I did without it before.

I fly too and appreciate the 12 hour bezel. I orginally bought it for this purpose but as Crusader mentions it has become my everyday watch and I wear it 98% of the time now unless I need something dressier like my Breitling or Doxa.

Took it on vacation in Hawaii earlier this month and swam/surfed/snorkled with no problem. Didn't dive deeper this go-round but I have the Doxa that I use for that.

As mentioned above the "plastic" 6500 does not have a screw-down crown.

I am VERY HAPPY with this watch and would recommend it to anyone looking for a watch in this price range. BTW I got it on Ebay new for about 25% less than the retail price.
    Thanks for the reassurance in the water-resistancisity btdt!!!

The only thing that puts me off the 'base' models is the fact that with a composite case you can't add a metal bracelet to them. I'm used to one now and don't really like Nato straps much. Don't trust rubber straps not to break either!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information