Traser vs Luminox

Thread: Traser vs Luminox

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    lsu

Traser vs Luminox

I wanted to thank all of you who gave their opinions in the Traser vs Luminox thread, especially to "INCURABLE" for his thoughts and photos of his Traser Classic Auto Pro Blue.

I purchased 3 Luminox and a S&W in the past. All where purchased for their trintium.

My Traser Chrono Big Date Pro arrived yesterday and I agree with "INCURABLE", when I opened the box I was pleasantly surprised that the watch looked better then the pictures. Traser is definitely going the in the right direction. I've had mine for a day and already feel that this is a keeper. I can finally see the date!!!

Just wanted to thank everyone.

Re: Traser vs Luminox

Wow lots of views but nio responses!

Hows the watch holding up?

I am considering a TRASER Night Warrior or an UZI protector Tritium .

lsu

I'm enjoying this watch, great look and I'm finally able to see the date. I work in low or no light conditions through out the night, and in my opinion you can't beat trintium. When everyone is straining or trying to find a light source to see the time, I just hold up my watch, no problemo.

traser is definitely heading in the right direction with their Classic Pro series. You can have a great looking watch that feels great on the wrist at a mid range price segment of it's competition.

I've owned several Luminox and S&W trintium based watches, but I can say traser has earned themselves a loyal customer.

If your deciding on traser see my traser warranty thread, I think you'll be impressed with the way the US traser rep. handled my problem.

Good luck!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hey, I'm new to the thread and this is my 1st post. I'm a pilot and I just ordered and recieved a Traser P6500 from lapolicegear.com.

Pretty good deal, (non-date version) came with a nice accessory bag for 129.99.

My only other watch worth mentioning is a Seiko Diver (SKX173). The Seiko's nice but I wanted a cool flying watch that could be used to display a second time zone (GMT).

I think the Traser was a good choice. Anyone on here know how to determine when the watch was manufactured by looking at the serial number?

The back of the watch case has alot of writing on it, most of which doesn't make any sense to me. Serial number is 0036091.

I've never owned a watch which contains the tritium vials (Luminox,Traser etc.) I'm curious how bright they should glow. Mine are quite visible in the dark, but in no way what I would consider "bright". Is that normal?

Curious if the manufacure date has anything to do with the brightness. The back of the watch also states: "Millicuries Under 25-3H". Is this referring in some way to the brightness of the vials?

Curious about all this,

sgav8r
    Pasco, WA

Hello Pasco, and welcome to the forum!

I own a P6500 as well, and it is my favorite nightwatch!

The vials come into their own after hours as they won't fade (not until after 10 years anyway). As they glow with constant brightness, they are initially not as brioght as freshly charged Super-Luminova (the fading stuff), but that changes after about 30 minutes and the vials outglow the S-L.

The writing on the back is taking up the original military specification inscriptions on the Stocker&Yale P650, a military navigator's watch made for S6Y by mb-microtec (i.e. the Traser company).

You will find tons of info on the writing on the back here: http://home.earthlink.net/%7eexresea...s/W46374F.html

I have made some additonal comments here: http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6447

Among the numbers on the back should be a production date (3-letter month and year).

The millicuries are per mil.spec. (which the P6500 meets, by the way - after all, it is basically the same watch as the original P650) and indicate the amount of tritium in the vials; it is the tritium's decay which sets free energy which excites the luminous matter in the vials to glow.

Hope that helps!
    Cheers,

Martin ("Crusader")

"Millicuries Under 25-3H" means the watch contains a certain quantity of tritium that emits less than 925 MBq (25 mCi) (FYI, most tritium gas tube equipped watches are < 25mCi, TSAR is < 26 mCi, don't know about Ball)

tritium will have a steady but not very bright glow

since tritium has a half life of 12.3 yrs (so down to 50% brightness after 12.3 yrs? but i've read that the decay is not linear), it would be nice if you can find out the production date of the watch, and then "guess-itimate" the life span of the tritium tube

Thanks alot. Great info there, I really appreciate the help. The watch I have does not have a date code on the back (as far as I can tell). Based on the website of the retailer I purchased the watch from, I'm inclined to believe that my watch is brand new and "factory fresh" as stated here:

http://www.lapolicegear.com/trp6trh3wacl.html

I'm going to attempt to attach some pictures of the watch, and the watch back here. Maybe someone on here will see something I don't. Anyway, thanks again for the help. So far I am very pleased with this watch!

Sgav8r
    Pasco, WA
    Attached Images Attached Images

that's a nice looking watch

maybe try to contact traser USA and see if they can decode the production date?

lsu

No disrespect to anyone but I feel in regards to the discussion about the brightness of trintium, it's my opinion that many place too much emphasis on this topic.

I say this because if you work or spend your time in low to no light conditions all you have to do is look at your wrist to see the time. If your like me after which you will be sold on the advantages of trintium.

I've owned various Luminox and S & W watches, and regardless of brightness all were visible when the time was needed.

It's my opinion that the only advantage that my current traser classic pro has over the previous owned watches is the larger dial. But, that is a personal observation.

Congrats on your purchase, tell me what happens when someone asks for the time at night? Who will be the first with the answer?

lsu

Hey sg8v8r
    Can you show any lume pics at night? Im interested in purchasing that exact same model.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information