Battle of the Moon Watch: Bulova vs Omega
Like Tree109Likes

Thread: Battle of the Moon Watch: Bulova vs Omega

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Battle of the Moon Watch: Bulova vs Omega

Here is a review I wrote. I think it is fair.

https://www.8past10.com/articles/pos...2edf0e448b8878

It compares the Speedy Pro with the Bulova with tons of pictures. Note. I have 2 of the Bulovas as they are great deals.

Re: Battle of the Moon Watch: Bulova vs Omega

Good comparsion, just a few minor points:

- The 6 o'clock second hand sub-dial doesn't tick like a regular quartz, it moves in 1/2 second increments. That is a bit unusual and worth pointing out.

- It's more precise to say this movement is good for plus/minus several seconds a year, not just loses time. Mine is good (so far) for +2-5 seconds/year with my wear pattern (and a twice annual DST change) for my purposes it's nearly dead nuts on all the time with a shade of running fast. I've had my Bulova since July, it really impresses me how accurate it is, it surpasses my two HAQ Certinas, which are thermocompensated and claim to be 10 sec/yr.

- At street prices, the Omega is 10-15x as much as the Bulova, not 6-8x as much, making the price for what Bulova offers even more impressive. That's true whether you compare list to list or street to street (I assume an AD in both cases).

Otherwise a fair comparison and criticism of the case size was dead nuts on, including the strap size gripe (you nailed another of my complaints about the Bulova, strap size should have been wider, like 24mm). I always found it odd they kept the strap size identical to the original but not the case size.

And where did you find those really slick Apollo craft models? They look fantastic.
    Last edited by tmathes; January 5th, 2017 at 20:18.

Quote Originally Posted by tmathes View Post
    Good comparsion, just a few minor points:

And where did you find those really slick Apollo craft models? They look fantastic.
    I got the toy a long time ago. Thanks for the feedback. There were a couple of angles I had it originally written to compare based on MSRP then I switched to street price. But it was already too late. Once I publish, it is hard to go back and edit. Usually, I loose all the images I've uploaded.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

good review! I too have the Omega moonwatch, bought a few years ago thinking it should be in eveyone's collection. But, no date feature bugged me enough that the watch sits in its box. On a whim I bought a used Bulova for $425 shipped to me in Japan from USA. The size complaint did not dissuade me since I love my huge Marathon JSAR !
    The Bulova with its straps version and date window and new quartz techonlogy fit my small 6.5 wrist just fine! I have tried it on several strap options and a leather one seems to be the perfect choice. This photo shows it on a coastguard orange zulu. Price point and watch quality are hard to beat here!
    by rail by blingmeister, on Flickr
    UofRSpider, SamQue and guspech750 like this.

good review! I too have the Omega moonwatch, bought a few years ago thinking it should be in eveyone's collection. But, no date feature bugged me enough that the watch sits in its box. On a whim I bought a used Bulova for $425 shipped to me in Japan from USA. The size complaint did not dissuade me since I love my huge Marathon JSAR !
    The Bulova with its straps version and date window and new quartz techonlogy fit my small 6.5 wrist just fine! I have tried it on several strap options and a leather one seems to be the perfect choice. This photo shows it on a coastguard orange zulu. Price point and watch quality are hard to beat here!
    balcony plants by blingmeister, on Flickr
    BDC and X2-Elijah like this.

balcony plants by blingmeister, on Flickr
    leather ID by blingmeister, on Flickr
    BDC and Benjamin Barrera like this.

I dig that brown racing strap. I have mine on a similar dark blue/black.

Pretty good write-up. I own both (bracelet versions) and always enjoy the story behind the watch and own both for two different reasons. Like you said, they are two different beasts. For the price, Bulova did a great job with the tribute watch. It seems very popular on this forum.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 1567
Size:  90.1 KB

Nice write up...I have the '69 pre-moon Omega and the Bulova moon watch.

BDC, HaymondWong, mkatz1 and 1 others like this.
    Later, Gary

We are the caretakers of mechanical art.
    Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Thanks for the write-up! I bought my Bulova after I got my Omega. I had to have both.

Name:  20161215_085300.jpg
Views: 1566
Size:  183.8 KB
    "Like the sign says, speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?"

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information