Bulova AccuSwiss??
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: Bulova AccuSwiss??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Bulova AccuSwiss??

I was browsing various watch sites looking for deals on Bulova watches, and came across this line called AccuSwiss. I have never heard of them before, and have never seen them sold at any retail store. Just checked out Bulova's own website and it doesn't even have them on it.

So what's the deal with them? Why aren't they on Bulova's website? Can someone tell me more about them?

I went to Amazon and looked at more, and really like this model

Re: Bulova AccuSwiss??

It was briefly, Bulovas "Swiss made" premium lineup that has been discontinued. There are quite a few available for serious discounts on eBay as well. Good specs and Bulova quality, for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using paste and glitter.

I think they were introduced in 2012 or so, and discontinued recently. I picked up one of the A15 reproductions, and like the look and feel of it a lot, though it's got some readability issues and the hands really should have been fully lumed. There's a full review of it in the forum that's spot-on. I've got my eye on a couple of the Gemini models as well. As captainmorbid said, the prices on ebay can't be beat. Good prices for decent Swiss movements, Bulova brand, and sapphire crystals, IMO.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They replaced the Accutron line. Bulova branded the expansion of the 262khz Precisionist movements Accutron II - Moon Watch, Snorkel, Military, etc…. I assume they did it mostly to avoid confusion. But I also think the Accutron name fits better with the 262khz movement as opposed to automatic mechanical movements. They use Sellita movements. But I had no idea they were discontinued.

Here's mine:

And here's the same watch from the seller I bought mine from. It's a little cheaper.

http://ebay.com/itm/Bulova-Accutron-...-/302084268160
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

How are you liking your watch?

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaViajero View Post
    How are you liking your watch?
    I like it. It's not a watch that I need to peel off my wrist. But I think it has a permanent place in my collection. It's just a nice all around watch for a good price. (When I first saw it, watcheshalfprice on eBay had it for $200. Then they upped it to $250 - and that's when I bought it. And then just before Christmas, it was down to $190.) Anyway, here are some quick thoughts and bullet points about it:

The good.
    - It's a solid watch with all of the right stuff - Sellita SW200 automatic (Swiss-made ETA 2834 clone), sapphire crystal, all stainless steel, signed crown. The styling is pretty conservative - if you're looking for a standout attention-grabber, this isn't it. But it's really versatile - it looks great on leather straps and natos. Of course that's all subjective. But it can be sporty and casual or conservative and dressy - I'm sure the dress watch purists would argue that one.
    - The crystal. Bulova does crystals really well. I had a 262 kHz military. That had a very beautiful crystal - but it was mineral. And this has a domed sapphire crystal - and it's done right. I'm not sure if it's single- or double-domed or if it has any anti-reflective coating, but it's just right. I had a Seiko SARG013. I had the domed sapphire swapped for a flat sapphire - the distortion and reflections were horrible. But this crystal has minimal reflections and just a little distortion around the edges. And you can read the watch at pretty sharp angles. In addition to all of that, it doesn't magnify like the domed sapphires on some dive watches - that drives me nuts.
    - The lume. It is actually visible once yours eyes adjust to a dark room. The only thing I don't like is the pattern. There isn't any lume at 3, 6, 9, or 12 o'clock. It looks cool, but it's not practical for quick and easy time reading. I would have preferred a dot or shorter, abbreviated stock markers at those cardinal positions - it would have balanced out the lume better.

The bad.
    - It's only rated as "Water Resistant", so I think that means it's only good for splashes - not even quick submersion. I know WR isn't a big deal for a watch of this style, but my SARB and VSA Alliance are rated at 100m. It's just one thing I have to be mindful of with this watch.
    - The strap. It's pretty stiff and super long. I have 7.75-inch wrists and I had way more leftover strap (tail) than on any other strap I've ever used. And it has a deployant - which most people like - but I don't. But hardly any of my watches stay on the stock strap and I have plenty of straps so it wasn't a big deal.

Specs
    39mm (42mm w/crown)
    48mm lug-to-lug
    10.5mm thick
    20mm lugs

V.I.T., Barry S, DC guy and 4 others like this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

I see what you mean, with the lume, that's too bad.

Thanks for the review, I appreciate it! My wife gifted me a marine star chrono, it was beautiful, but the second hand would not reset to 0, it would only go back to 2, so after trying to exchange the watch, and seeing 3 of the same watches have the same problem, I just asked for the money back, and came across this automatics on the bay, and researching them, I landed on this page.

Most likely I will get me one, I think that I will go for the one with the blue sunburst dial. I think that the only thing missing from this line of watches is a screw down crown, imho.

Thanks again! Lovely watch you have there! and nice collection!
    Last edited by WichitaViajero; January 3rd, 2017 at 23:32.

Wichita Viajero

Omega Seamaster 300 Professional 2055.80 (Electric Blue)
    Tag Heuer Aqua Racer WAY1112
    Bulova Accu Swiss 63B185
    Orient Star Open heart
    Citizen Titanium Skyhawk Eco Drive JR3060-59F flight Chronograph
    Seiko a738 Chronograph
    Citizen Ana DIgi Temp Watch JG 2002-53W Gold Finish
    Hamilton Khaki Mechanical
    Tissot PR100
    Citizen Q&Q two tone watch
    Bulova corporate executive
    Timex Expedition

Quote Originally Posted by brandon\ View Post
    I like it. It's not a watch that I need to peel off my wrist. But I think it has a permanent place in my collection. It's just a nice all around watch for a good price. (When I first saw it, watcheshalfprice on eBay had it for $200. Then they upped it to $250 - and that's when I bought it. And then just before Christmas, it was down to $190.) Anyway, here are some quick thoughts and bullet points about it:

The good.
    - It's a solid watch with all of the right stuff - Sellita SW200 automatic (Swiss-made ETA 2834 clone), sapphire crystal, all stainless steel, signed crown. The styling is pretty conservative - if you're looking for a standout attention-grabber, this isn't it. But it's really versatile - it looks great on leather straps and natos. Of course that's all subjective. But it can be sporty and casual or conservative and dressy - I'm sure the dress watch purists would argue that one.
    - The crystal. Bulova does crystals really well. I had a 262 kHz military. That had a very beautiful crystal - but it was mineral. And this has a domed sapphire crystal - and it's done right. I'm not sure if it's single- or double-domed or if it has any anti-reflective coating, but it's just right. I had a Seiko SARG013. I had the domed sapphire swapped for a flat sapphire - the distortion and reflections were horrible. But this crystal has minimal reflections and just a little distortion around the edges. And you can read the watch at pretty sharp angles. In addition to all of that, it doesn't magnify like the domed sapphires on some dive watches - that drives me nuts.
    - The lume. It is actually visible once yours eyes adjust to a dark room. The only thing I don't like is the pattern. There isn't any lume at 3, 6, 9, or 12 o'clock. It looks cool, but it's not practical for quick and easy time reading. I would have preferred a dot or shorter, abbreviated stock markers at those cardinal positions - it would have balanced out the lume better.

The bad.
    - It's only rated as "Water Resistant", so I think that means it's only good for splashes - not even quick submersion. I know WR isn't a big deal for a watch of this style, but my SARB and VSA Alliance are rated at 100m. It's just one thing I have to be mindful of with this watch.
    - The strap. It's pretty stiff and super long. I have 7.75-inch wrists and I had way more leftover strap (tail) than on any other strap I've ever used. And it has a deployant - which most people like - but I don't. But hardly any of my watches stay on the stock strap and I have plenty of straps so it wasn't a big deal.

Specs
    39mm (42mm w/crown)
    48mm lug-to-lug
    10.5mm thick
    20mm lugs

Mine has been a joy, bought it early last year and it has been perfect. Goes with a suit or casual and the movement is so accurate and quiet. Bought it for under $300 with the Black Leather strap I don't see any other automatic swiss for this good a quality at this price.

The Accuswiss brand was started under Greg Thunn when he was President of Bulova, Citizen fired him in late 2015 and discontinued the brand, brought in some American born Citizen Watch executive. Bulova is pretty much strictly a Quartz watch company now with a few Automatics thrown in with Miyota movements. It is such a shame because the AccSwiss brand was really becoming respected and the watches were BANK; I own two. I just guessing but Citizens acqusition of Frederique Constant in 2016 probably played a roll in the Accuswiss demise and Mr. Thunn's departure. I am guessing but I think Bulova is just going to be an upper class Quartz Watch division of the Citizen empire of mediocre watches; to say I am disappointed is an understatement. Bulova was a great American brand with a great history. The built and operated a Watch Repair School in New York after WWII for disabled veterans where they got training and therapy at the same time. My mom worked for a Jewelry Travel Company and she introduced me to one of the paraplegic graduates, in a wheel chair. He let me use his loop and look into an automatic watch movement and told me to always buy Bulova, I have a collection. I will never buy a Citizens Watch but I am buying some of the old Accuswiss models. Maybe one day some patriotic rich guy will buy them back, if I win the lottery I will give it a shot.

Name:  20170118_174145.jpg
Views: 2838
Size:  1.23 MBName:  20170118_174151.jpg
Views: 2840
Size:  1.16 MBMy Bulova Accuswiss, about a year old; factory black leather band, very accurate and reliable

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast