Bulova parts help
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By demo

Thread: Bulova parts help

I'm in a place where I don't know where I am! --Homer Simpson

Bulova parts help

Hi, looking to get a couple of questions answered about this Bulova I recently acquired. Specifically is this the right crystal and if itís not, what would be the correct part number?

Here are the pictures:

Name:  E39A433F-F097-4592-AB53-15FC7A25DD04.jpeg
Views: 47
Size:  1.76 MB

Name:  5B40695E-2FFC-4B5C-BBAD-CA74329F6BF7.jpeg
Views: 39
Size:  2.04 MB

Name:  307BFC0A-94E8-44AE-9A81-D0529138AB0F.jpeg
Views: 45
Size:  1.85 MB

Name:  4F7CFF1E-A2A6-4B12-998E-A90514BE9AE8.jpeg
Views: 38
Size:  1,016.4 KB

Name:  F8AACA0B-7352-4DDB-AB51-71EF45B06880.jpeg
Views: 37
Size:  830.1 KB

Im asking mostly because I think it may be the wrong crystal ( the crown is definitely wrong), otherwise I would just try to polish it. I tend to think itís wrong because there is a big gap (pic 4) that has collected all kinds of detritus. It also seems a bit low in profile but thatís just an impression.

Couple of other things if I havenít already asked too much:

Im assuming the bezel would have to come off (pic 5) to remove the crystal? Is this bezel removable?

Any guesses on the case number? I think the ink smudge on the inside caseback may have been it.

Does the whale make it a Sea King? Looking for a definitive answer, Iíve read yes and no.

If youíve read this far thanks, and I hope I havenít overstayed my welcome.

Mike
    In dog beers I've only had one.

Re: Bulova parts help

One (maybe two) questions answered:

Yes, the bezel is removable, and yes, I think, it has to be removed in order to remove the crystal. It’s bigger in diameter than the bezel and while they could probably be removed together by pushing on the crystal from inside the case I think the crystal could be damaged this way. Just my guess though.

Here’s a pic of the pieces. If you’re eating you may want to wait before you look. If you’re like me and you go right to the pics first, my apologies!

Name:  C191BC2B-385F-4499-9F1F-727EC17BBD65.jpeg
Views: 40
Size:  2.09 MB

Mike

Another update if anyone is following along, I believe the case number is 3121. I found the identical watch on another website.

Also I’m starting to think the crystal is correct. I’ve seen pictures of two identical watches and while the photos weren’t great, if it was really different I think I would’ve been able to tell. Still I was expecting a water resistant type of crystal with a retaining ring. Funny that the dial has the whale on it putting it (I think) in the Sea King category but it’s not marked water resistant anywhere.

Mike

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi demo,

Are you trying to preserve the watch to OEM parts? I'm pretty confident any brand crystal will be fine as long as it fits. Why not take the watch to a competent watchmaker and have him clean, polish, overhaul the movement, and replace it with a new crystal?

The watch is very charming. I hope you get it up and running.
    Collection:
    Breitling, Tag Heuer, Tudor, Bulova(7), Certina(4), Citizen(3), Glycine(2), Mido(2), Oakley, Rado, Roamer(3), Seiko (12).

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Watch Syndrome View Post
    Hi demo,

Are you trying to preserve the watch to OEM parts? I'm pretty confident any brand crystal will be fine as long as it fits. Why not take the watch to a competent watchmaker and have him clean, polish, overhaul the movement, and replace it with a new crystal?

The watch is very charming. I hope you get it up and running.
    Thanks, I guess it just wasn’t what I expected. The gap between the crystal and bezel looked wrong and I also expected a waterproof type crystal with the retaining ring as on other Bulova/Caravelle products. In the end the whale threw me off. I assumed the Sea King series would all have better water resistance.

It’s almost there. The movement was also pretty dirty, though not quite as bad as the outside. It’s running but the hairspring had some black gunk on it and I can’t seem to get it clean. The coils stick.

Name:  C7AA4753-AB51-46B7-B869-66ACDA1A5BD1.jpeg
Views: 27
Size:  1.21 MB

Mike

Keep it up Mike and update us with your progress!!
    Collection:
    Breitling, Tag Heuer, Tudor, Bulova(7), Certina(4), Citizen(3), Glycine(2), Mido(2), Oakley, Rado, Roamer(3), Seiko (12).

There is some progress. As I said the hairspring had some black gunk on it which visibly came off with the initial cleaning. Here’s a before pic:

Name:  7AA5274E-C697-4DC6-94B4-2705738F724A.jpeg
Views: 19
Size:  1.02 MB

I’m using naphtha (this watch may be an argument for an ultrasonic machine, I’m looking) and that obviously wasn’t enough to clean it. Under a 10X loupe it looked ok but several coils were sticking. I removed the spring from the balance and soaked it in (gently) warmed naphtha (if this sounds sketchy i agree, it’s another argument for an ultrasonic) and that did the trick. The amplitude is pretty low however so there’s still work to be done. Unfortunately work calls so it will be a couple of weeks before I can get get back to it.

Mike

Edit: Forgot to say I also demagnetized the spring several times.
    Last edited by demo; 1 Week Ago at 00:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Watch Syndrome View Post
    Keep it up Mike and update us with your progress!!
    Thanks!

Also the watch looks better than the picture so I’ll try and put it in better light tomorrow.

Mike

Thread Information